SounDevil - modern Windows music player
Jun 14, 2022 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

Joe Mak

New Head-Fier
2.0 released

SoundDevil is a modern music player of Windows platform.
Pursue high sound quality, good-looking and easy to use.

Features
Playback of high resolution PCM and DSD sources by ASIO and WASAPI.
Bit perfect, direct DSD.
64-bit DSP, modern instruction set, high quality algorithm.
Custom DSD filter, parameter filter, convolution filter.
Any high DPI display.
Multiple languages.

Download
Official website

Screenshot
app1.7.0.jpg

1.6Engine.jpg

1.6Output.jpg

Attachments

• 1.6APP.jpg
    1.6APP.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 69
Thank you, I got it, I will have a look later today :)

Jun 15, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 69
@Joe Mak , so I've read the manual one time, and I have one question for now. By the way! It is the first time, ever, I am using such a player and I am completely unfamiliar with its functionality. But for now, I'd like to ask something simple.

In the manual, page 22, it says:

It is recommended not to use the device used for music playback as the default output device of the operating system, especially when ASIO is used, because ASIO does not have a good communication mechanism with the operating system, various strange faults may occur.

So, I am using a Chord Mojo 2, connected via USB to my laptop. What should I select for optimal playback? See screenshot, attached.
Right now I am listening to a .WAV file using System Default Endpoint WASAPI and it plays OK but if I will start YouTube, I can hear both at the same time.

Thank you

Attachments

• soun.png
    soun.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 69
@Joe Mak , so I've read the manual one time, and I have one question for now. By the way! It is the first time, ever, I am using such a player and I am completely unfamiliar with its functionality. But for now, I'd like to ask something simple.

In the manual, page 22, it says:

It is recommended not to use the device used for music playback as the default output device of the operating system, especially when ASIO is used, because ASIO does not have a good communication mechanism with the operating system, various strange faults may occur.

So, I am using a Chord Mojo 2, connected via USB to my laptop. What should I select for optimal playback? See screenshot, attached.
Right now I am listening to a .WAV file using System Default Endpoint WASAPI and it plays OK but if I will start YouTube, I can hear both at the same time.

Thank you
System Default Endpoint is shared mode, so you can hear both at the same time.
If you need to output native DSD, use ASIO (Chord), otherwise WASAPI is usually more compatible.

Jun 15, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 69
System Default Endpoint is shared mode, so you can hear both at the same time.
If you need to output native DSD, use ASIO (Chord), otherwise WASAPI is usually more compatible.
Okay, sure, but what does it mean, what says in the manual?

So, if I will play a .WAV file using WASAPI Chord Mojo 2, as shown in my screenshot, can you please explain what is happening? Who is doing the processing and how?

One more thing, I am trying to add a new radio station but it does not work, I am getting an error message. This station works on UAPP on my Android phone. The URL is:
http://secure.live-streams.nl/flac.flac
This is Radio Intense, and to be honest, it gives me some troubles in UAPP, as well but in this player it does not play at all. It plays fine from my browser, though.

I have added Radio Paradise and it plays fine.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 69
Okay, sure, but what does it mean, what says in the manual?

So, if I will play a .WAV file using WASAPI Chord Mojo 2, as shown in my screenshot, can you please explain what is happening? Who is doing the processing and how?

One more thing, I am trying to add a new radio station but it does not work, I am getting an error message. This station works on UAPP on my Android phone. The URL is:
http://secure.live-streams.nl/flac.flac
This is Radio Intense, and to be honest, it gives me some troubles in UAPP, as well but in this player it does not play at all. It plays fine from my browser, though.

I have added Radio Paradise and it plays fine.
If you use Chord in SounDevil with ASIO, it is recommended not to use Chord as the default output device of the Windows. This is just a suggestion.
http://secure.live-streams.nl/flac.flac Cannot work in my Edge browser

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 69
If you use Chord in SounDevil with ASIO, it is recommended not to use Chord as the default output device of the Windows. This is just a suggestion.
http://secure.live-streams.nl/flac.flac Cannot work in my Edge browser
Okay. so please clarify something to me, as I am completely new to SounDevil, and to all this in general. When I play a song, a FLAC or WAV or mp3 file, from my Windows laptop, what exactly is happening? Is SounDevil completely bypassing everything Windows-Audio? So, it takes the song, processes it on its own and then sends it to output, in my case the Mojo 2?

Regarding that radio station, please look at the attached screenshot where you can see that Internet Radio station playing both on my EDGE and Firefox browser, at the same time. I am running Windows 11 Pro and everything on my laptop is fully up to date.

I am also attaching 2 other screenshot. One is showing that SounDevil gets the info of that radio station, after giving the URL. The second is showing the error I am getting.

Attachments

• inten.png
    inten.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
  • soun1.png
    soun1.png
    113 KB · Views: 0
  • sounERROR.png
    sounERROR.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 69
Okay. so please clarify something to me, as I am completely new to SounDevil, and to all this in general. When I play a song, a FLAC or WAV or mp3 file, from my Windows laptop, what exactly is happening? Is SounDevil completely bypassing everything Windows-Audio? So, it takes the song, processes it on its own and then sends it to output, in my case the Mojo 2?

Regarding that radio station, please look at the attached screenshot where you can see that Internet Radio station playing both on my EDGE and Firefox browser, at the same time. I am running Windows 11 Pro and everything on my laptop is fully up to date.

I am also attaching 2 other screenshot. One is showing that SounDevil gets the info of that radio station, after giving the URL. The second is showing the error I am getting.
Data flow
Source -> Input ->DSP-> Output -> Endpoint
Source is usually a file, such as “song .wav"
Input gets data from the source.
DSP processes the data.
Output transmits data to the endpoint through API (such as ASIO, WASAPI).
Endpoint is usually a sound card and its connected devices.
If you use ASIO, "SounDevil completely bypassing everything Windows-Audio" is true.
If you use WASAPI Exclusive Mode, SounDevil send data to output device through WASAPI, WASAPI will not modify the data.
If you use WASAPI Shared Mode, SounDevil send data to the system mixer, the data is converted into a shared format, mixed with the sound of other software, and transmitted to the output device.

Radio
This error is reported by FFmpeg. It is not clear whether it is the problem of FFmpeg or the data.

Jun 16, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 69
Data flow
Source -> Input ->DSP-> Output -> Endpoint
Source is usually a file, such as “song .wav"
Input gets data from the source.
DSP processes the data.
Output transmits data to the endpoint through API (such as ASIO, WASAPI).
Endpoint is usually a sound card and its connected devices.
If you use ASIO, "SounDevil completely bypassing everything Windows-Audio" is true.
If you use WASAPI Exclusive Mode, SounDevil send data to output device through WASAPI, WASAPI will not modify the data.
If you use WASAPI Shared Mode, SounDevil send data to the system mixer, the data is converted into a shared format, mixed with the sound of other software, and transmitted to the output device.

Radio
This error is reported by FFmpeg. It is not clear whether it is the problem of FFmpeg or the data.
Thanks for the clarification, I will use the WASAPI Chord.
Have you managed to listen to that radio station from a browser?

Jun 17, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 69
Thanks for the clarification, I will use the WASAPI Chord.
Have you managed to listen to that radio station from a browser?
Works on Chrome for me.

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #12 of 69
Jun 18, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #14 of 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Back