Soundesign vintage receiver as a headphone amp?
Sep 10, 2010 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tipsycoma

New Head-Fier
I went on ebay in search for a vintage receiver for some headphones. I decided to stray away from my old Aiwa receiver. I bought this item for 30 bucks. It's a Soundesign 5969 AM / FM Stereo Receiver / Cassette Recorder. Would this be any good to power some cans?

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 9
Hate to say it, but that unit looks to be absolute crap and almost certainly sounds that way. However,  you only paid change for it so it doesn't matter--much. As for phones, it depends what you'll be using. If you say Bose or SkullCandy I'd say it'd be perfect.

(BTW, if you paid $30 why does it say the winning bid was $15?)

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 9
Item + shipping = ~$30.

I think the casette deck is a dead giveaway that it's going to sound like crap.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Wow, that's a bit discouraging. So no one thinks there is a chance in hell that this thing sounds decent? I wonder if it would be an improvement or a downgrade from a cheaper Aiwa receiver.

Can I get some more input, please?

Thanks..

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 9
Heck, give it a try. If you already bought it, plug in your headphones when it arrives.

However, that's not something most here would buy. If you're inclined to get another, I like the old Marantz and NAD decks. Some of them are very cheap and you might find them at local junk, thrift and pawn shops.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 9
It's got that cool vintage look, and would look great as part of your home theater setup, but yeah, it's probably going to sound like crap. But it still makes a great $30 conversation piece, however.

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 9
What will you be using as a source? A decent vintage 70's SS receiver will have a very clean sound with headphones. The power amp, radio and various connections can be very useful.
Will you be using a CD player, cassette player, radio, laptop?
If you're looking for an affordable stereo reciever a Pioneer SX-750 can be had for very cheap on ebay. The Pioneers with more power are commanding big prices but a 750 should run you about $100. Maybe less. Other brands to look into would be Marantz, Sansui and a number of others. The older tube powered receivers can get very expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back