soundcards to drive beyer dt880 - what spec to look at?
Nov 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

caddie444

New Head-Fier

Hello,

I have decided that I am going to purchase the Beyer DT880 600 ohm headphones for music listening/monitoring purposes. I compose orchestral music as a hobby, and it'll be 50/50 between listening/monitoring.

I am currently wanting to update to a more advanced soundcard with more inputs/outputs so I can compose more efficiently, but I also require a good headphone amp to drive the Beyers.

I am wondering which spec to look at on soundcards to help me determine if it will suffice when using the DT880's.

For example, here are the specs for the headphone output of one of the external soundcards I am looking at, the presonus firestudio mobile:

source:http://www.presonus.com/media/manuals/presonus_firestudiomobile_manual_en_2.pdf

not sure how to read this...

another example:

the M-audio Fast Track Ultra:

does the "working range" mean that they will drive a 600 ohm headphone? What does Maximum output level mean?

any insight to these questions greatly appreciated :)

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 3
I would read working range as specfied min/max load impedance, so it probably works with 600 ohm headphones. Crosstalk spec is very bad, it means that left channel will be somewhat heard in right and vice versa, generally the lower the better. At levels around -80dB and lower it shouldn't have much effect. Noise and THD spec should also be read as lower=better. You can find measurements of dt880 on innerfidelity, where you can check the wattage and voltage requirements, it should help you determine which card has suffcient amp section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back