Soundcard with Moon HDAM
Dec 8, 2008 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

karthur

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered a Sun v2 and Moon HDAM from audio-gd in China on the 4th, and I just received them (on the 8th) in London UK, and I'm not quite sure how it could be so quick especially given that there was a weekend in between the 4th and the 8th!

I popped the Moon (plus extension) into my trusty Auzentech X-Meridian Soundcard and fired up the Little Dot MK III with my Grado SR225's and have been listening for the past hour (to various FLACs) and I honestly can say that I am astonished. It is so good that I'm reluctant to try the Sun v2 as I don't think sound can get better than this....an amazing upgrade, better than any other opamp I have tried (and I have tried a lot of them now including the 627, and 797)...In fact I think I'm going to have to sell my mini-collection of IC opamps....I also have to add that it hasn't even been burned-in yet!!

Now my LD MK III sounds even more like a tube amplfiier. Exactly the sound I've been after. Warm, clear, detailed, balanced, awesome soundstage...yeah, the Moon HDAM is definitely 100% awesome.

edit: the highs now have a real "airy" quality about them...amazing.

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 21
how does that soundcard compare to similarly priced DACs?.. the Zero DAC in particular

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does that soundcard compare to similarly priced DACs?.. the Zero DAC in particular

The soundcard is discontinued...I think the current one is called a Prelude and they are not very expensive. Asus also makes cards with DIP8 sockets (the Xonar series). The Zero DAC is probably better but I have never tried it. Now with the Moon HDAM I don't think I need a DAC at all. I've tried a Cambridge Audio DacMagic and was thinking of buying it but now I'd say that this combination that I have now with the X-Meridian + Moon sounds better. Probably a Zero + Moon would sound better but I'm not sure by how much...probably very little, considering I have it hooked through a Little Dot MK III.

I always hear how DACs are better for noise,etc because they are outside of the computer....but with my Onkyo SE200PCI and Auzentech X-Meridian (combined with a good motherboard and placed far from the video card) I don't think this applies. I can't hear any noise or distortion at all on the Onkyo or Auzentech, and I can't fault the sound on either.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 21
I doubt a zero with hdam will sound any better than your card with it. I nerver heard it, but I have a prelude with a moon. It sounds far better than a modded zhaolu I had. In fact I sounded better than any dac I've had. I never had a 3000 dollar one but I had a few in the 250 to 800 range, and neither could compete with the sound I'm getting with my mooned prelude. It brought my tube amp to life.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 21
Hmmm that sounds interesting. I'm buying an HD2 I think I might try a HDAM as well. How do you keep you unit safe from electroshock and movement?

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_lammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm that sounds interesting. I'm buying an HD2 I think I might try a HDAM as well. How do you keep you unit safe from electroshock and movement?

I haven't come up with a good solution for this yet. I have insulating (soundproofing) foam all over my case, including the bottom. My soundcard is in the bottom PCI slot so I just have the HDAM resting on the foam (at the bottom of the case and at the end of the standard extension cable from audio-gd), with the ground wire tucked between the bottom lip of the case and the edge of the foam.....I definitely need to design something better, but this works for now!

edit: probably a good solution is just to wrap the HDAM in Kapton tape, so that it can't come into contact with anything metal. That would be a cheap, quick (and possibly nasty -looking) solution...

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 21
Someone else reported good results using a HDAM on their soundcard, so it's interesting to see a second person get good results.

karthur: are you using a HDAM with the extension wires? I'm trying to imagine how it would sit inside your PC case if so.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
karthur: are you using a HDAM with the extension wires? I'm trying to imagine how it would sit inside your PC case if so.

In other words we need pics
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 21
I did some research on this and with the card you have, you must be cutting it close in minimum volt requirements for the hdam. I believe the Auzentech X-Meridian feeds its opamps 8v (in comparison to 5v for most soundcards). where as on Audio-gd, they mention 9-25v as the recommended dose.

convenient to use your soundcard but i feel as though it may be bottlenecked.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did some research on this and with the card you have, you must be cutting it close in minimum volt requirements for the hdam. I believe the Auzentech X-Meridian feeds its opamps 8v (in comparison to 5v for most soundcards). where as on Audio-gd, they mention 9-25v as the recommended dose.

convenient to use your soundcard but i feel as though it may be bottlenecked.

Well, it must be supplying enough juice since it sounds better than any other opamp I have tried...so with even more juice it could possibly sound better? well I think that would be heaven.

Pic attached - it aint pretty.

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 21
how would you compare the sound of the onkyo card-stock, vs the auzentech (also stock). hdams aside, will conventional chip op amps make the auzentech outperform the onkyo?

best,

Mark

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how would you compare the sound of the onkyo card-stock, vs the auzentech (also stock). hdams aside, will conventional chip op amps make the auzentech outperform the onkyo?

best,

Mark

Well the Onkyo SE-200PCI (non ltd ed) has many large OS-CON caps, a wolfson DAC, and 3 (6 in total) TI NE5532 Opamps (non-socketed) for each channel (L/R). The better caps and (probably) better DAC leads to a better, wider soundstage, more detail, more of a clean neutral sound by default. I think the Auzentech with Moon is pretty similar sounding, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. I have the Onkyo hooked up to my AV receiver for home theatre and the sound is amazing. Can't really go wrong with the Onkyo or Audiotrak cards.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 21
Ok so here's a photo of the Sun v2 attached to the X-Meridian. It isn't been burned-in (has something like 10 minutes on it) but I find the sound to be brighter and hollower than the moon with slightly less detail on the low end. In fact, the bass seems muffled compared to the Moon....even though I think the Moon has a warmer sound overall...kinda strange...I don't have enough experience comparing opamps to come up with a better description, but I think I prefer the moon.

The Sun v2 sounds great though. I didn't realize the LEDs on it would be green.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 21
Must they put LED's into every electronic component these days?? If I end up putting one of those in my computer I could set up a disco room from the lights.

Does anyone know the effects of a HDAM + opamp combination would be. The soundcard im looking at has 3 op-amp slots, 2 are "paired" and the other is alone. Would the benefits of installing a HDAM be removed from the other two opamps?

I think the path goes Single Op --> Pair --> RCA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back