Soundcard with Good EMI/RFI Shielding
Sep 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Needles

100+ Head-Fier
Does such a thing exist? I've been running an Auzentech HTHD since it released last year and I've done everything in my power to eliminate (or even reduce) unwanted background noise ... separating the bracket from the case, adding washers, changing screws, tweaking various BIOS settings, different case, different motherboard  ... but I've been largely unsuccessful. During periods of silence, the buzz of my video card is clearly audible, especially via my amped Denon AH-D2000s. If the 285 GTX is off the vsync leash and cranking out 300fps in an older title, the capacitor whine is off the hook. The Auzen picks it up clear as day. Just awesome, thanks.

I'm to the point where I need/want to replace the Auzen card. I've given the issue plenty of time and effort. It's kept me up at night. I surrender.

So, is there anything out there that would fit the bill? It'll be used primarily for surround sound movies and gaming, with occasional music duty. Turns out HMDI connectivity isn't as useful as I'd initially thought, so that's not necessary. I require a dedicated headphone output with amp, to drive my Denons. I've been considering both the ASUS Xonar Essence ST Deluxe and the new Creative Titanium HD. I also like the look of the Auzen Bravura, but I feel like I'd be trading across from the HTHD. Though it's not primarily a gaming card, ASUS is my front runner at the moment. I've given up on EAX; at least ASUS' GX emulation will provide some effects some of the time ... better than no effects all of the time, as I haven't bothered with Alchemy in ages.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for reading.

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 12
that's most likely because the soundcard allows the dirty computer ground to make it to the audio ground, so it's a groundloop feast.

on the Bravura, they've finally added a switch to separate the chassis ground and the audio ground...that's what the asus essence cards do by default.

if they didn't put this switch on the HTHD, maybe you can check if your wall outlet is properly grounded? anyway, IME the most hardcore solution to this is using an ADUM4160 dongle to a USB device...it kills all groundloops and your DAC will be in its own faraday cage, off a clean PSU if possible.

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 12

Yeah, I've become somewhat well versed in the cause of my hum/buzz ... not that the knowledge has helped me solve the problem. Sad face.

But this ADUM416, I've never heard of that. I assume it's of no real use to me and my internal soundcard (unless I misunderstand), but it's still neat.

Good to know the Bravura is equipped to handle the issue, similar to the ASUS offerings.

Thanks for the response! Seems to me the Bravura with it's switch and/or the ASUS Deluxe with direct, clean power from the PSU might be my best options.

EDIT: Is the "deluxe" ST the "HDAV" I keep running across? Must be, as it seems to be the only one compatible with the H6 expansion.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 12
I wouldn't call the ATX PSU "clean power", it's actually very dirty...a discrete linear regulated PSU w/ a low ripple is clean power, and will provide a much more natural SQ.

There's many companies selling ADUM4160 dongles, that's the be-all/end-all solution to interferences in computer audio.

the "deluxe" ST and "HDAV" are different soundcards, but they both suffer from very crappy drivers...just like the bravura that has ground shielding and rollable opamps, but no ASIO/bitmatch playback mode/audio creation mode...all those cards are crippled to death by their wonky drivers.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 12
"Crippled to death" would seem to be a relative term, dependent on whether an individual requires the missing feature(s).

I'm afraid my consumer grade ATX PSU is here to stay, though at least it's a high end Corsair unit with low ripple; again relative to other ATX units, of course.

If you know of a PC soundcard with pristine drivers and superior EMI shielding, plus top shelf SQ and a quality headphone amp, I'm all ears! Seems to me there's no magic bullet in that category. Short of dumping a large-ish chunk of change on a new DAC/amp, a quality receiver and likely new sats, I have little choice but to make a few sacrifices.

I must've misunderstood the concept behind the ADUM416. Does it potentially solve my problem? I was under the impression that it isolates an external peripheral connected via USB.

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 12
more like the audio signal is butchered between your media player and your ears...the Bravura doesn't provide any kind of bit-matched playback mode, so everything's resampled to its (manually selectable) masterclock sample rate.

It's not just a matter of ripple, the major difference is to use a linear regulated PSU instead of a nasty shared SMPS. Each time there's a lot of activity from your GPU or HDD, its 12V ripple goes up through the roof.

All the internal soundcards either have flawed drivers or flawed PCB designs w/ shared grounding...There's no free lunch to be had from internal soundcards IME.

I dunno what your budget it, but an ADUM4160 dongle will run you around $50 and will provide an interferences-free USB path...feed it to a good DAC off a clean DPS and it will pay in cash SQ-wise. I very much enjoy the Tenor chip, it supports 24/96 w/o drivers and works like a treat. Maybe the audinst DAC would be an option, but it's got a nasty OPA2134 on its line-out...you can still roll the opamps of its HP out I think.

A friend of mine is also looking for this sort of solution, it looks like the littledot DAC2 could be an option: rollable opamps, good PSU, WM8805 reclocker. I've asked a few question to the littledot boss, but they're on national holiday. you can get it for $250 off ebay...sounds like a sweet deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All the internal soundcards either have flawed drivers or flawed PCB designs w/ shared grounding...There's no free lunch to be had from internal soundcards IME.

Hard to argue, but I'm stuck in my ways. Maybe some day my audiophilia will progress to a point where I'll feel the need to move up to a DAC for my cans and a quality receiver for my 5.1 sats and lord knows what else, but I haven't quite crossed the line yet. At the moment, I'm an avid gamer and movie watcher who wants the best sound he can manage without moving beyond the relatively simple pleasure of an internal soundcard. I guess I'm a sucker for an all-in-one solution. It's the same reason I purchased Audioengines. Sure, they're not the best bookshelf speakers and I realize that, but they're compatible with soundcard mini jack, have an accessible volume knob and they're miles better than other PC-oriented speakers in terms of SQ. I'm certain the regulars on this forum would tear my setup to shreds were they to sit for a subjective listen, but I love it ... with one notable exception (as discussed above).

Does this mean I tolerate the noise OR move to a new plateau of audiophile mania? Honestly, methinks I'll tolerate the noise (for now).

In other words, I don't really belong on Head-fi ... but I find my way here from time to time because I know damn well this place is a bottomless chasm of audiotronic expertise.
atsmile.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 12
The ST/X is a really good option with no hum or hiss. There are bit-perfect drivers available from third parties. FWIW, I'm in complete agreement on the built-in cards, they always sound like crap.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
if you're perfectly happy w/ random static and groundloops, then all is well
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I'm not. That's why I'm here. Long story short, if you can present me with a groundloop-free source for $300 or less, something capable of supporting my Denon AH-D2000s and a 4.1 configuration including A5s, A2s and a 12" Velodyne, I'm all ears. Gotta be honest, I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to DACs and such. If the "littledot" you recommended earlier IS capable of supporting my whole setup, you have my apologies and sign me up.

Quote:
The ST/X is a really good option with no hum or hiss. There are bit-perfect drivers available from third parties. FWIW, I'm in complete agreement on the built-in cards, they always sound like crap.

Thanks. I realize that internal cards are, for all intents and purposes, the worst option. That said, albiet coming from a guy with limited critical listening experience, I think my HTHD is amazing ... with the obvious exception of the line noise. If the ST/X can measure up and manage to suppress the hum/hiss, I'll be a happy camper.

Curious: Is the ST "Deluxe" simply the ST w/ the H6 card? Or is there a mythical third ST out there? I realize he ST HDAV1.3 is the HDMI version, but I can't seem to find a third SKU.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 12

Well, I'm not. That's why I'm here. Long story short, if you can present me with a groundloop-free source for $300 or less, something capable of supporting my Denon AH-D2000s and a 4.1 configuration including A5s, A2s and a 12" Velodyne, I'm all ears. Gotta be honest, I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to DACs and such. If the "littledot" you recommended earlier IS capable of supporting my whole setup, you have my apologies and sign me up.

I've got no interest in multichannel, I'm a phones guy..can't really tell, but for $300 surely you can find some USB device compatible w/ ADUM4160 that will pass-through DTS/AC3 and run off a clean PSU and allow opamps rolling. Might wanna have a look at the audinst, as I think that the Tenor chip does pass-through DTS/AC3.

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 12
Whereas I'm very much a multichannel guy - though don't get me wrong; I love my headphones. I'm not quite naive enough to expect the best of both worlds without a significant investment, but I do pretty well for myself.

I'll Google-fu some of the terminology you just rattled off and see if it broadens my horizons. Cheers!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back