Soundcard V DAC V Amps
Jan 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bobbert

New Head-Fier
Hao's it going.
About a year ago I upgraded from 20$ "IEMs" and an iPod to a pair of M50's and a 20 year old 15 kg. Sony "amp" that is hooked up to a converter into my Creative Lab speakers that is connected to my computer. I have probably the most ghetto set up you can think of. I've been looking into a more light/modern desktop amp/dac/soundcard. However, I am having trouble deciphering the difference between the three. Anyone care to explain?
Cheers.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 8
DACs are purely made for audio: no fancy surround effects, Dolby Headphones, EAX of stuff like that. They also usually are external (not a card that you plug inside the computer, most are USB). 

Soundcards are somewhat gimped DACs with cheaper materials but more software(aka EAX,ALchemy, Surround sound, etc), more often marketed toward gamers. They are most often internal (PCI/PCIE cards that you plug on the motherboard).

Amps are,well, addons that you can use with either ones, be it a soundcard or a DAC. mostly used to drive high-impedence headphones that can't operate properly with low-powered signal and needs MOAR JUICE (couldn't help it, sorry). Some soundcards have cheap amps on them (Xonar DG is an example).

To sum it up:
- Standalone DAC: Made purely with audio quality in mind, plugs in USB most of time.
- Soundcards: Cheap DAC with lots of software bundled, mostly PCI/PCIE and some USB
- Amp: For headphones that can't be satisfied with low-powered signal, nearly all external.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 8
MOAR JUICE
OMG haha XD
Thanks lads for the info. I'll probably be picking up a DAC with a more "modern" amp. Anyone know a store/manufacturer that sells the two in bundles of 2?

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 8
The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z ($110) or Zx ($140) sound card would work for your situation.
They come with the CS4398 DAC chip and a headphone amplifier
As you can have the headphone and speakers connected at the same time and switch between them using the Audio control panel.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z ($110) or Zx ($140) sound card would work for your situation.
They come with the CS4398 DAC chip and a headphone amplifier
As you can have the headphone and speakers connected at the same time and switch between them using the Audio control panel.

So I can just pick that (Zx) up without the need for an amp? Can a soundcard replace an amp?

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
So I can just pick that (Zx) up without the need for an amp? Can a sound card replace an amp?

The Sound Blaster Z series comes with a built in headphone amplifier.
So you have no need to use or buy a separate head amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back