Soundcard to replace Santa Cruz Turtle Beach? (Music only, not gaming.)
Jun 26, 2008 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Klisk

Head-Fier
I'm building a new computer and I'm starting to realize that my beloved (and awesome) Santa Cruz Turtle Beach card is simply... Dated. Drivers are an issue now, and it's likely going to be a time to move on soon all things considered. So since I'm building a new PC, it seemed right to ask. Everyone just seems to recommend x-fi right off the bat, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for!

So what's a good replacement for listening to music through a dual monitor setup, or my AT ATH-AD700's. The ability to hook up surround speakers would be a nice perk for movies, but not necessary since it's not my main purpose.

Anyhow, the Santa Cruz card always seemed to have a unique warm EQ curve and clarity that made it my preferred card for so long. It's just dated (driver wise) enough that I'm considering moving on.

Thanks for any help possible.

My budget is $150 USD and under, and both PCI and PCI-E are good for me.
eek.gif
It's going to be a WinXP desktop computer.
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you can try ASUS Xonar DX. A review here and some impression of the user at NewEgg

Yeah... I was looking at that. Don't really hear much about it's ability for music, though.
frown.gif

Is there any reason NOT to use a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card nowadays? Maybe I should stick with it? I mean it's only 5.1.
smily_headphones1.gif

There IS the Turtle Beach TBS-3300, but I heard that Turtle Beach basically imploded on itself after the Santa Cruz and never made another good card.

Then there's the AuzenTech and the Omega Striker, but both seem mostly gamer oriented.
confused.gif

One of these cards has to be good for music.
eek.gif
Nothing really takes up the place for the Santa Cruz as far as having a musical type sound goes? Bummer!

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 13
It's starting to look like the HT Omega Striker is my best bet, but otherwise I might stick with the outdated Santa Cruz (if possible..?)

No one else has any opinions..?
frown.gif

Thanks.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you have drivers for xp and not planning to go vista any time soon maybe you can hang on to the card for a bit longer
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed, if its working then why change it? Keep it as long a you like
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I'm on the same boat as you some months back, that I should change my setup (onboard feed to external DAC) or not, since it sounded great back then. Been thinking a lot about X-Fi but worried about driver problem. When I actually buy it I glad it worked, and surprisingly sounds quite good even when unmodded
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 13
Good pci stereo only sound card with headphone amp.

You can swap out the opmaps to taylor the sound to your ears and or speakers.

They are really hard to get...I have been waiting months...Just got and email saying it is being shipped.

If you are intrested better give them a call and check to see if they are instock.

http://http://www.floridamusicco.com...rodigy_hd2.htm

The most recommened opamps are Analog Device that are SOIC's...So Browndog SOIC to 8-pin PDIP adapters are needed.

Further improvements can be made by changing out the capacitors.

Cool card if you only want high quality stereo and like modding your stuff.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 13
X-Fi is for MP3 music....otherwise it is not that good..

I have XMod..and it only sounds good for low bitrare Mp3 & movies.

otherwise it only produces artefacts in the music.

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Go to Newegg.com to get a grip on reviewed sound card products.

From my recent research, it seems that the Asus D2X PCIe is better than its PCI brother. There's a tech review (google it) that concluded this.

The Bgears b-enspirer has raved about sound with all the Dolby/DTS/Dolby Headphone, etc stuff and solid drivers. You can get it for less than $100 at Directron (read up on reviews at Newegg). People view it as a really good bang/buck card like the Santa Cruz was.

The Auzentech Prelude seems to be colder and leaner vs. the Asus D2X which is warmer and meatier--people have chosen it head to head. If you don't need the X-fi chip, then Asus is definitely the better option.

Then there's the HT Omega Claro Plus which everyone seems to rave about. Top notch construction and upgraded opamp. Prolly better than the D2X b/c of the better opamp on the 2 fronts.

Personally, for $100 I'd get Bgears or if I had some spare change and are enthusiastic, get the Omega Claro Plus for $200 at Newegg.

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 13
Since it's going to be window XP, I vote for sticking with the card you like, the Santa Cruz. If you *have* to upgrade to Vista then you should probably look into investing into a new sound card at that time.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good pci stereo only sound card with headphone amp.

I also agree with Hookem that Prodigy HD2 is a best choice for you. You can refer to this link (AUDIOTRAK - Prodigy HD2)
If you use speaker for your music, you can swap 3 OPAMPs on this card to get sound better.(OPA2134 , OPA2604, OPA2107 they're choices you can concern)
Sorry for my poor English.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back