soundcard recommendation as Juli@ replacement
Aug 31, 2009 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dave_pass

New Head-Fier
Hello, relative newb. I recently upgraded my PC and no longer have PCI ports.

I've been researching these as PCI-E replacements for my Juli@ card, which I've been happy with.

ESI Maya44e
ASUS Xonar DX

My budget is around $100-$150. Anybody have a preference between these or a recommendation of another?

I use a Gilmore Lite headphone amp, mostly listen out of MDR7506. Not a gamer, just music.

fyi also, planning to post Juli@ for sale or ideally trade.

Thanks!
Dave

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 11
Are you planning on doing any music creation/production?
Juli@ are recording cards at their base so is this why you bought it, to record with or just for music playback?
I am asking as it will help with suggestions.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 11
Ah yes. I have another option now for music creation so I will just be using this for music playback. Good point, thanks!

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Interesting, didn't even know those adapters were available. Since I'm not going to be recording music though I think I'd prefer to move to a native PCIe card that delivers solid music playback.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 11
After some more reading I'm about sold on the Xonar Essence STX. Is it a waste to have an external headphone amp since there's an amp built in to the STX?

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 11
the STX is not a native PCIe card, there's a PCI-E>PCI bridge that goes to the C-Media DSP...I heard this would increase latency in ASIO, something to take in account if that's what you plan on doing
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_pass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After some more reading I'm about sold on the Xonar Essence STX. Is it a waste to have an external headphone amp since there's an amp built in to the STX?

The strong point of the STX is the DAC used and many use this card for just the line outs to external amps.
You can use a higher quality external amplifier if that is what you want.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 11
I saw a report of ESI's showing a PCIe version of the Juli@. It hasn't shown up on the ESI website yet. After the ESI ESP 1010e was announced, the product didn't arrive for several months.

I've got a Juli@ and an AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 used in a dedicated MusicPC running XP. The ASIO drivers have been flawless. Sound good too.

Bill

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 11
Is there a PCIe card that is comparable to the AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 in terms of performance and price point? I can't find one really.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 11
no, there simply isn't...reason why I just ordered a Prodigy2 Deluxe
beerchug.gif

they all seem to carry lousy consumer audio drivers, w/ a fixed samplerate..that will even resample ASIO & KS, and the Xonar dumb GUI takes the crown
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back