Soundcard or DAC/AMP for my new Philips Fidelio X1?
Oct 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 28
  How can i test it?

You really can't.  But if you got a powered hub with not too many attachments on it you should be fine.  If you see your device connected to Windows but it can't install correctly for a standard USB device that doesn't normally need drivers, then you know you have a power problem.  You will see this often if you try to connect too many USB harddrives to a hub and some of them fail to function.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #19 of 28
How can i test it?

I would not worry about this unless you have an old computer (didn't come with Windows 7 or Windows 8). The standalone ODAC can even run off Android phones that have USB audio out capability. The combined O2/ODAC has an AC adapter that you use to power it. There would have to be something wrong with a newer generation computer USB implementation for this not to work.

If want to know for sure if this is true, ask in the ODAC thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/611778/brief-odac-impressions

O2/ODAC at epiphany-acoustics seems pretty nice and it has everything you will need. But it will cost me 233€. Is it really worth it?

Whether or not it's worth it really depends on you. But I found it to be better than the FiiO E17 (there seems a strong consensus that this is true), and many people on head-fi would agree it's hard to beat or equal the ODAC/O2 for the money other than the Schiit Magni/Modi stack. The Schiit setup is considered comparable by many (depends on who you ask--some say one is better than the other). If it's cheaper, I would go with it.

Could be the Dragonfly is just as good, but I have not heard it. Personally, I would have doubts something that small can provide both the same quality DAC and headphone amp as the ODAC/O2 or Schiit stack. Most likely you could find comparisons between it and the ODAC/O2 if you searched head-fi using Google (just put head-fi in as a keyword).

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #20 of 28
  I tried to connect 6 USB-sticks, and all of them worked 100% fine. (At the same time ofc)

USB sticks use very little power, so that isn't the best test case.  Try multiple iPods, phones, and harddrives.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #21 of 28
Thanks a lot, i will go with the EHP-O2D Miniature Desktop Headphone Amplifier with USB DAC and use it for at least 5 years! I hope they will work 
triportsad.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #22 of 28
  O2/ODAC at epiphany-acoustics seems pretty nice and it has everything you will need. But it will cost me 233€. Is it really worth it?

You could get a sound card to go with the O2.
Asus Xonar DX or D1 or DSX or DS, fairly decent for their price.

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #23 of 28

I am in a similar position, I am after a DAC for my PC and I'm looking keenly at the ODAC. To me it feels like the ideal purchase if what you want is a piece of gear that is objectively 'good'. It is backed by what appears to be a solid theory on how a DAC should sound and be designed and has published measurements demonstrating such qualities. It doesn't hurt that it seems to get good reviews.

Of course, I've never heard the ODAC, or any good DAC for that matter. :xf_eek:

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #24 of 28
The problem is, if it doesnt work, because i live in Germany. It will cost me more than the 233€ ....Do you guys know a similar extern AMP/DAC, which i can purchase on bigger sites, such as Amazon? My current budget: 250€

Users who are viewing this thread

Back