soundcard/ desktop output question - best quality?
Aug 9, 2007 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
guys, computer as source question. im currently running a chaintech av710 out of my desktop, using the spdif to my zhaolu 2.0, and balanced xlrs to my 4 channel b22 amp to a set of balanced custom dt990s. firstly, ive had some problems flashing my av710 to prodigy (ive got it "working", but im not 100% if its bit perfect or not yet etc). my question is, for using computer as my main source (i have no cd collection or anything else, so its pretty much relying on my computer library), whats the best route i can go? if i manage to flash my av710 to bit perfect, is that pretty much the best i could get given my setup, or would i benefit from picking up a more expensive sound card like the emu 1212m was one i had in mind. would one run a card like the 1212m as a bitperfect output or...no need? if it matters, most of my recordings are flac (or so id like to think lol) and i play via winamp. thanks guys, any suggestions would be more than welcome

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 9
ie. would purchasing/upgrading to a 1212m basically just to use ITS optical spdif output instead of my av710's be worthwhile?

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 9
Nothing will be better then bitperfect over optical, if you are able to do that with your AV-710 i dont see a reason to buy a 1212m to do exactly the same.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 9
sorry to hijack, but to go a little further... I am using the digital out on my xfi xtrememusic. Is there a card out there which will sound better than my xfi if I'm only using it as a digital output to my DAC? (as I am now with my xfi)

or is digital out from any sound card gonna sound the same?

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 9
In my opinion, you should worry more about the analog output stage you are using to power your headphones. Does the DAC itself have an analog stage to power your headphones?

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 9
In general, digital output will be the same. The main reason people discuss the analogue output of soundcards instead is to gain the (possible) benifit that the DAC on the soundcard offers over their amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back