Soundcard/DAC + headphones for PC gaming and movies
Oct 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #91 of 114
That's what I have read too. I have also read some posts where people ask advice as to what headphones to pair with what Audio-Gd product . . . .

Sorry. I can't help. I don't buy headphones based on amp pairings. I buy headphones that will sound good with accurate amps. The whole amp/dac pairing thing is quite impossible, I think, to do by reading reviews online. Too much subjectivity goes into it. If headphones I buy don't sound good with a solid state amp, I get rid of them :)

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #92 of 114
Sorry. I can't help. I don't buy headphones based on amp pairings. I buy headphones that will sound good with accurate amps. The whole amp/dac pairing thing is quite impossible, I think, to do by reading reviews online. Too much subjectivity goes into it. If headphones I buy don't sound good with a solid state amp, I get rid of them
smily_headphones1.gif

A very good and direct answer, much appreciated!

Btw, would it be worth paying extra for the Compass2 over the NFB-11?

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #93 of 114
A very good and direct answer, much appreciated!

Btw, would it be worth paying extra for the Compass2 over the NFB-11?

My understanding is that the biggest advantage of the Compass 2 is that (a) you get line inputs and (b) you can buy one (or both) of the other DAC chips and switch it out if you like.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #97 of 114
Yes, there seem to be a slight difference.

It takes double the wattage to achieve +3db more volume; +10db is generally a perceived double in volume by the listener . So if you only have a slight difference, unless the amp can handle bigger voltage swings (which might benefit very hard to drive headphones), you might not ever know the difference.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #98 of 114
It takes double the wattage to achieve +3db more volume; +10db is generally a perceived double in volume by the listener . So if you only have a slight difference, unless the amp can handle bigger voltage swings (which might benefit very hard to drive headphones), you might not ever know the difference.

Ok, unless there are some other specs that I have overlocked as a novice,  the only advantages seem to be the things you mentioned earlier. Although it is nice to be able to swap out DA modules :)

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #99 of 114
Ok, unless there are some other specs that I have overlocked as a novice,  the only advantages seem to be the things you mentioned earlier. Although it is nice to be able to swap out DA modules :)

I think it's cheaper if you buy them up front then have to have them ship the DA module to you from China later.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #101 of 114
Oct 20, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #103 of 114
Ok I did an order inquiry with Audio-GD for the NFB-11 and got a total sum for the NFB-11 + 2 X TCXO and shipping/paypal fees for 407 USD.

Now on their homepage they have a list of world wide resellers, and I found one within Europe that ships to Sweden. Only problem is they only offer the version without the TCXO upgrade, and i really don't know if the unit comes with the free 35 PSU upgrade. Total price with shipping is 360 USD. The main advantage is that I only need to ship it from Sweden to Poland if something needed to be repaired down the road. Question is, how much of a difference does the absence of the TCXO upgrade and the weaker PSU make?

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #104 of 114
  Ok I did an order inquiry with Audio-GD for the NFB-11 and got a total sum for the NFB-11 + 2 X TCXO and shipping/paypal fees for 407 USD.

Now on their homepage they have a list of world wide resellers, and I found one within Europe that ships to Sweden. Only problem is they only offer the version without the TCXO upgrade, and i really don't know if the unit comes with the free 35 PSU upgrade. Total price with shipping is 360 USD. The main advantage is that I only need to ship it from Sweden to Poland if something needed to be repaired down the road. Question is, how much of a difference does the absence of the TCXO upgrade and the weaker PSU make?

When Audio-GD in Hong Kong sends you something like the NFB-11, they will claim a $100 value with the shipper,
This way when it gets to Sweden, you will only have pay an import tax on the claimed $100 value.
Will the seller in Europe do the same or will they claim full value (315 USD) with the shipper, there by increasing the import tax.

If you bought the unit from the European dealer and had to return the unit to the European for repair, does the European dealer fix the unit on the spot, or ship it to Hong Kong for repairs?
Here in the USA if you buy some, like a headphone amplifier, you might get 30 days to return to the seller, after that any warranty issues are dealt with the manufacturer.
How long a period will the European dealer cover warranty issues? before requiring you to have to ship the unit directly to Hong Kong.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #105 of 114

When Audio-GD in Hong Kong sends you something like the NFB-11, they will claim a $100 value with the shipper,
This way when it gets to Sweden, you will only have pay an import tax on the claimed $100 value.
Will the seller in Europe do the same or will they claim full value (315 USD) with the shipper, there by increasing the import tax.

If you bought the unit from the European dealer and had to return the unit to the European for repair, does the European dealer fix the unit on the spot, or ship it to Hong Kong for repairs?
Here in the USA if you buy some, like a headphone amplifier, you might get 30 days to return to the seller, after that any warranty issues are dealt with the manufacturer.
How long a period will the European dealer cover warranty issues? before requiring you to have to ship the unit directly to Hong Kong.

There are no custom fees within the European union, so the price I gave you is all I have to pay, so no need to declare anything. In case of repair the dealer will repair the unit at their location or replace it, only negative is that they only offer 3 years warranty on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back