soundcard clock modding to improve S/PDIF jitter?
Feb 21, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 51
Although it was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, the Isochrone 10M is likely the most accurate digital clock available (measured in PPB).... thus the one most likely to bring you closest to sonic nirvana (at least as far as mitigating jitter is concerned). It would be an ear-opening experience to clock a consumer card with it and listen to the differences.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, most likely only the high end stuff runs transformers on the coax, so consumer grade gear would give groundloops from a computer...so I still stand by toslink
smily_headphones1.gif

So, what you're basically saying that since high end stuff uses transformers on coax, then toslink must be better? Seriously?!

Why even bother posting a question if you're unwilling to accept that you might be wrong?

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

well I'm not gonna drop $1K on the DAC...so yes, toslink is better w/ computer sources for mere mortals.

Have you noticed the gamma1 uses transformers? No need to spend $1k

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #21 of 51
@DaKi][er: thanks for the link! I like how the skilled DIY ppl always break urban myths you'd read on audiophile-wannabe forums...like Moonly did to Andrea and I on diyaudio.com about blind opamp rolling, which is really not advisable...even though many ppl are doing it
rolleyes.gif

@cobaltmute: yes, I do! I also read that you can get a Buffalo2 DAC for $300...but then you have overseas shipping, import taxes, you need a case, a quality volume pot if you wanna use it as a preamp, etc etc...it had reached $750 by the end
biggrin.gif

apparently this glass toslink cable is good(as good as coax?), I think I'll give it a shot
happy_face1.gif

Parts-Express.com:*Dayton GOC-6 Glass Optical Digital Cable 6 ft.

glass toslink - Agoraquest

LITE AUDIO DAC AM REVIEW
Quote:

the Dayton glass optical cable was a little smoother and warmer than the coax but with better sounding highs and imaging

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

I like how the skilled DIY ppl always break urban myths you'd read on audiophile-wannabe forums...

Quote:

the Dayton glass optical cable was a little smoother and warmer than the coax but with better sounding highs and imaging

I don't think you are getting it.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #24 of 51
I'm getting that your average toslink plastic connection is worthless compared to coax...but apparently w/ some high grade glass toslink, you can get it to behave just as well?
redface.gif

well these kits are nice, but then you need a case, a stabilized linear PSU etc etc....I got a hell of a deal on a brand new Firestone Spitfire 2009 + its discrete "supplier" linear PSU that was hard to pass...plus it's got a rollable opamp, so I'll bring it to an audio repair shop near my place so they can roll the stock LM4562NA DAC LPF for two AD797BR(my fav. opamp) on a browndog, and check whether they're stable on their oscilloscope.

too bad the damn thing doesn't have a transformer on the coax, so toslink is my only option so far(and my computer ground is as dirty as can be)...but next time upgraditis hits me, I'll look for little black squares near the coax input
otakonleboss.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #25 of 51
Nearly all the time, none of the gear you buy actually does proper coax transmission and termination. You can't compare coax to toslink until you have the coax right, so for the best results you have to make the rx/tx circuits yourself

For transmission you want the schematic posted by Jocko Homo here - DIYHiFi.org • View topic - Anyone interested in..............

I can find the receiver side if you want, but that'll take more digging around

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #26 of 51
very nice, thanks! but is that kind of transformer also possible to use on analog inputs? I could really use something to kill groundloops
redface.gif

and doesn't that increase jitter to make the ground channel go through an additional filtering component exactly? doing 2 light conversions over optical is evil, but filtering the coax ground is perfectly fine?

I still don't see how a transformer in the audio path can "galvanically isolate sender and receiver" just like an optical connection would...and yes, you're right..I've seen transformers on top-of-the-line Lynx soundcards, but I have yet to see any on your average audio interface
frown.gif

even "pro" external gear doesn't seem to filter the incoming USB/firewire ground, but I think that they have to leave it untouched because it's used for hot-plug and/or cable length detections..

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #27 of 51
Sorry, but that was the receiver side actually. The CS841x chips that are used as spdif receivers have differential inputs and this circuit converts the incoming spdif to a differential signal which is suppose to help.

No, that transformer can't be used for analogue, it is designed to work only at very high frequencies.

Transformers will gavanically isolate a circuit as there is no physical connection between the primary and secondary coils. But galvanic isolation is not needed to have high quality audio, all you need to do is have a central ground point in your setup and you'll be right.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #28 of 51
oh ok, so we can't just add one for filtering purposes between 2 S/PDIF devices I guess? well, my computer ground is as noisy as can be...I get random "tickling" on my uber-sensitive headphones, and I got a nasty loud ground loop hum last time I tried to connect a headphones amp over RCA from my internal soundcard.

I think optical will be the solution to all this, as I really don't want to have the computer case ground flush intruding my audio path..OTOH, I fully understand that a transformer over coax could be overkill from a non-computer source.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #29 of 51
The Emu 0404 has one http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/emu/emu_xlr.jpg (bottom left)

I have a pretty nasty PC that is packed to the gills and I have no issue with loops or noise at all.

Do you actually have a problem or are you just anticipating one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back