SOUNDAWARE M1(PRO) Portable Player with Proprietary FPGA Architecture
Sep 14, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #995 of 1,094
Soundaware Stay updated on Soundaware at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Soundaware-Audio-CoLtd-140035019979865/ https://www.us.soundaware.net/ Soundaware Official market@soundaware.net
Oct 4, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #996 of 1,094

Just some impressions. These were very good sounding players. The seperation and detail was impressive to me. It was great having no hiss (well, only barely audible if on high gain in a silent room lol) unlike some other hissing players.  I seriously considered getting one within the first hour or so of listening but I hear there's a new Soundaware coming out 
rolleyes.gif
 Very well built players which were exactly what I was looking for; none of the touchscreen BS and easily controlled in the pocket. My favorite part might have been the gold plated headphone jacks. Very satisfying hearing the solid click each time. I wish the SD card slot had a more solid covering instead of a cheap rubber cover though. They should also allow more colors for the interface; imo the brown color looks cheap as if someone slapped unfinished software on it. Black and white would be more classy for example considering the price of this player. The Esther is definitely on my to buy list. Great dap 
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW if anyone can let me know if they hear the page flip/ violin pluck at the beginning of this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1duUKZ6Ho&list=PL71E52C8B5FCA046F ,then im convinced the Esther is a serious player. I use it to judge detail. I have the wav version so that may play a factor. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #998 of 1,094
currently writing review, had some work related emergencies which kept me from getting to it.
Overall I was really impressed with Esther M1 Pro, great sound staging and ability to mine detail
from tracks. Definitely a musical player.

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #999 of 1,094
I will be getting mine next week. I hope it will pair well with my U3.

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #1,002 of 1,094
So I got my review samples of the M1 Analogue and M1Pro. Both sound freaking fantastic!

However I have run into a snag regarding file formats. It seems that  ALAC files refuse to play, in fact they cause the whole player to crash! The song will appear briefly then the player reboots. Quit annoying as I have a lot of music that I converted from AIFF to ALAC, which I have to convert back again. And it matters not if the file is 16/44, 24/48 or 24/192.

Anyway, I got some more listening to do and pictures to take! Will report back in if I encounter any other snags. 

beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #1,003 of 1,094
  So I got my review samples of the M1 Analogue and M1Pro. Both sound freaking fantastic!

However I have run into a snag regarding file formats. It seems that  ALAC files refuse to play, in fact they cause the whole player to crash! The song will appear briefly then the player reboots. Quit annoying as I have a lot of music that I converted from AIFF to ALAC, which I have to convert back again. And it matters not if the file is 16/44, 24/48 or 24/192.

Anyway, I got some more listening to do and pictures to take! Will report back in if I encounter any other snags. 

beerchug.gif

Just some impressions. These were very good sounding players. The seperation and detail was impressive to me. It was great having no hiss (well, only barely audible if on high gain in a silent room lol) unlike some other hissing players.  I seriously considered getting one within the first hour or so of listening but I hear there's a new Soundaware coming out 
rolleyes.gif
 Very well built players which were exactly what I was looking for; none of the touchscreen BS and easily controlled in the pocket. My favorite part might have been the gold plated headphone jacks. Very satisfying hearing the solid click each time. I wish the SD card slot had a more solid covering instead of a cheap rubber cover though. They should also allow more colors for the interface; imo the brown color looks cheap as if someone slapped unfinished software on it. Black and white would be more classy for example considering the price of this player. The Esther is definitely on my to buy list. Great dap 
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW if anyone can let me know if they hear the page flip/ violin pluck at the beginning of this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1duUKZ6Ho&list=PL71E52C8B5FCA046F ,then im convinced the Esther is a serious player. I use it to judge detail. I have the wav version so that may play a factor. 

My thoughts exactly.
The firmware is kinda basic and they should add some polish to it, some new (but much needed) features, and make it more stable.
I am afraid, that now days SOUNDAWARE is more focusing on their new upcoming player than updating the firmware of the older models, But I hope  I am wrong....

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #1,004 of 1,094
@soundaware Mary

Can you advise if there is any update planned for M1 Pro firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back