Sound source for sr80i?
Nov 1, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #16 of 27
^^^^^
What he said. A Clip/Fuze is prettymuch ideal for SR80is, as it has enough power and a low output impedance - lower than many external amplifiers. I actually use that exact setup - with 320kbps MP3s after I conclusively proved I couldn't distinguish them from lossless.

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #18 of 27

Quote:

Hahyun92 - just use what you have - and enjoy the music!

I'm no audiophile but as a music lover and I completely approve of this message.

Just a word of advice from someone who's fairly new to headphones himself, take comments on here with a grain of salt or you'll end up having a very unhappy wallet. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 27
Totally agree with Brooko.
The fuze and clip will drive the Grado's to enjoyable levels for most folks.
And while I use FLAC for archiving on the pc, I think you'll find hi bitrate mp3's to work well for you with your setup.
Enjoy the music!

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #21 of 27
Nov 1, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #22 of 27
Alternatively head straight to

HDtracks.com

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #23 of 27
I've downloaded some great FLAC albums from musiczeit.com.  

With respect to the thread topic, I want to emphasize that much depends on the source material and the playback system.
Same with home hi-fi systems; and it was the same 10 years ago and even before that going back to the early days of audio.

Audiophiles in the 1950's ran after "Mercury Living Presence" (classical music) records because they sounded so good.
In the 70's and 80's classical music lovers hunted down records produced by Philips in the Netherlands, Telefunken in Germany,
and some others.  And they paid a lot of money for them to boot.
Similarly, in the 1980's the labels Telarc (classical) and Mobile Fidelity (rock, jazz, pop) ruled the roost
But those records contained music which was superbly miked, produced, and engineered e.g. Dark Side of the Moon Aja, etc.

Those records are analogous, in my view, to the different file types available today.

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #24 of 27
Yep, Give me a Chesky or Linn Records cover rendition of a well known classic any day over the original release.

It's all about the recording.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #27 of 27
I say ban these charlatans 

Nothing funny in seeing the repercussions of some honest new user finding out they've just
bought a fake.

Should not be happening on Head-Fi. 
frown.gif

No fakes, no spam links to crud that makes line noise.

A basic right for any Head Fi user! <raises pitch fork!>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back