Sound signatures with IEM's
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Alxis

New Head-Fier
Can you tell me what the typical sound signature is for the following IEM's: Triple.fi 10, IE8, W3 or UM3X, and SE530?

It seems the more threads I read, the more confused I get as to which IEM to purchase. I'd like to save the frustration and hassle of buying, selling or trading these to find my ideal IEM. I hope that by hearing what their sound signature is and how they perform on lows, mids and highs, I'll be able to narrow down my selection with confidence. If you can also comment on what types of music these particular IEM's typically excel on, that would be great also.

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 18
LOL, ok. Ideally I'd like my IEM's to have a great soundstage, but be natural sounding. I don't need thumping bass, just accurate and tight. Great mids. Highs which are not overly harsh or fatiguing.

As for music, it varies. Typically R&B, hip hop, mainstream top 40, alternative, dance music.

I'm not sure what each of the IEM's mentioned above are ones I should be considering based on this info.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 18
The IE8 is known for great soundstage and great bass, although it might be too much for you. (Me, on the other hand, no such thing as "too much."
tongue.gif
) What you described sounds like the RE0 has the right sound signature for you. However, it's actually below your price "bracket." A lot of people have been raving about the CK10 as similar to the RE0 but better. Maybe you should look into it?

If you're willing to spend a bit, maybe you could look into cheaper customs?

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 18
I actually don't find the mids on the TF10 that great which is something you want.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually don't find the mids on the TF10 that great which is something you want.

Interesting...seems like everyone has differing opinions on the TF10. Wondering now if its due to a fitment issue or the phones themselves.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 18
I doubt you will find too many people saying the mids are great. For me it's partly due to it being recessed. This is all IMO of course. It may be different for you if you pick it up. However I do have a perfect fit so it's definitely not that. I pick up my CK10 before I go for the TF10 anyway so it's not too bad for me

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 is known for great soundstage and great bass, although it might be too much for you. (Me, on the other hand, no such thing as "too much."
tongue.gif
)

wow, that was a pretty pompous comment. Especially since the op mentioned nothing about needing a cheaper model.

To the op, unfortunately you'll get many suggestions such as these from people who are too proud of themselves and their purchase to consider the fact that anything else may be better, which likely lends itself to your confusion reading these threads.

I'd suggest the se530's or the IE8's. The 530s have better mids & more precise control, while the IE8 has better soundstage, bass, and the dynamic driver makes it sound more 'natural' as you say. Neither has fatiguing highs.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 18
I took semisight's comment as the bass might be too much for the OP and that there is no such thing as "too much" bass for semisight.

I agree that the IE8 would likely be a good match. I don't think the TF10s will be as good as the IE8 for your needs.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, that was a pretty pompous comment. Especially since the op mentioned nothing about needing a cheaper model.

I am not a native speaker of English and this is probably why I understood this sentence differently. I assumed that there might just be too much bass for his taste in IE8.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Sorry. Didn't see the last post.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, ok. Ideally I'd like my IEM's to have a great soundstage, but be natural sounding. I don't need thumping bass, just accurate and tight. Great mids. Highs which are not overly harsh or fatiguing.

I'd recommend the UM3x. The mids are simply fantastic. The bass is tight and punchy, without being overblown, and the highs are crisp, clear and detailed without being fatiguing. The only thing about them that doesn't really match your requirements is "great soundstage". I'm not sure any IEM really provides "soundstage", it's more about "headstage". The UM3x is narrower than some other IEMS so it feels like you're right in the middle of the action but the instrument separation is superb.

I've got to say I just don't understand all the IE8 recommendations? Head-Fi seems to have become completely IE8 besotted but I'm going to have to stand up and count myself as an outsider on this point. I've had the IE8s a few months and I'm not massively impressed. They're good, but in my opinion they're not great. I think the bass and headstage are really the only two things that mark them out from the competition, but in a lot of other respects they fall well short.

The mids and highs aren't anything special at all. I'd say the mids are recessed and a bit veiled. The headstage is pretty wide, but I don't really understand why this is such a plus. In the case of the IE8 I don't find that instruments are really well positioned ... they just sound more distant. I found it near impossible to get a decent fit with any of the supplied tips, so ended up paying extra for custom sleeves, and even now the isolation isn't very good. I occasionally use them at home, but I don't see any point taking them out with me as any external noise is just too distracting. The supplied carrying case is also next to useless in my opinion.

----------------------------

These are just my opinions, and I know that they're not going to be shared by the majority, but I'm just not getting swept up with all the IE8 love. They are a decent laid back, fun earphone for people who like a bit of extra bass but that's a far as it goes ... they're not the second coming!

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took semisight's comment as the bass might be too much for the OP and that there is no such thing as "too much" bass for semisight.

I originally thought he was talking about bass as well, but later on in the same post, he again mentions the op's "price bracket" even though I dont see anything about a price requirement.

I probably just misunderstood & wanted to yell at someone. Sorry all, going through a certain addiction withdrawal and I'm extremely cranky
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back