Sound Rhyme impression thread
Mar 20, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #256 of 2,543
I am finding that on bright or older low fi recording it can sound somewhat bright. But on well recorded stuff it is stellar. I wish I had a really top notch copper cable to try on it...

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #257 of 2,543
My SR5 arrived!

Very early impressions: as promised, this is extremely capable for the money. Neutral or very slightly bright and with a modest boost to sub bass. Already happy, and that’s before burn-in, cable and tip rolling. I’ll post again when I have anything useful to add.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #258 of 2,543
After burning in for a week, the Bass distortion smoothens.
Blue SR5 Modded and Green EA500.

SR5 Mod & EA500.jpg

SR5 Mod.jpg

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #259 of 2,543
OK, a couple of hours in to listening to the SR5. The big thing about these is the clarity. Lyrics and details that get muffled on almost any other set I own come through crisp and clear. In this respect this set is remarkable for the price.

Clarity wouldn’t mean much if the timbre wasn’t good, but these are a pleasure to listen to. They flatter the music they play, bringing new nuance and enjoyment even from music that had started to go stale.

The tuning is a little bright for my taste, but not unpleasantly so (I am very treble sensitive). Definitely needs my darker cables, and I might try a nozzle filter. Otherwise it’s well balanced, maybe a shallow U with slightly raised sub bass and treble.

The build quality of my set seems fine - no complaints yet, other than the forgettable cable and case.

These are not flawless - they don’t play EDM or other bass-heavy styles without some form of EQ… but they are exceptional. Anyone looking for a beautifully clear and articulate set should consider them, even with a much higher budget. This is a real contender. And they glow, which is pretty cool. :)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #260 of 2,543
My SR5 arrived!

Very early impressions: as promised, this is extremely capable for the money. Neutral or very slightly bright and with a modest boost to sub bass. Already happy, and that’s before burn-in, cable and tip rolling. I’ll post again when I have anything useful to add.

Thank you for the recommendation!
Glad another head fier is lucky enough to welcome a pair of SR5😄👍

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #263 of 2,543
I just got my set today and I have to say it's similar to the Gaea but more bass quantity and its quality bass. I have to agree with @marklivia the SR05 is blowing me away right now even though it's bright I can listen to it at a lower volume so it's not fatiguing and it still sounds good compared to the GAEA at similar volume.
20230320_224423.jpg

Example of the volume level between both of them to sound good to my ears.
20230320_232142.jpg

I swapped out cables with a better 7N OCC+Palladium Silver Alloy Mix and same Spinfit W1 eartips and it sounds even better with more body in the bass and mids and taming the treble slightly; furthermore, with this cable + w1 ear tips + SR05, I'm at $300 USD vs the $1,300 Gaea.

I still have to test the technicalities but at 1/9th the cost of the GAEA or 1/4 with upgraded copper cable and eartips, it's beats the GAEA in terms of price to performance.

I'll put the SR05 through the burn in process and do more A/Bing but everyone here should know how I feel about the Gaea and this SR05 blows it out of the water.

Sources:
SAMSUNG Note 20 Ultra
Venture Electronics Abigail Pro Dongle
20230320_231617.jpg

And thank you @AmericanSpirit for finding and trying this gem of an IEM.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #265 of 2,543
I just got my set today and I have to say it's similar to the Gaea but more bass quantity and its quality bass. I have to agree with @marklivia the SR05 is blowing me away right now even though it's bright I can listen to it at a lower volume so it's not fatiguing and it still sounds good compared to the GAEA at similar volume.

Example of the volume level between both of them to sound good to my ears.

I swapped out cables with a better 7N OCC+Palladium Silver Alloy Mix and same Spinfit W1 eartips and it sounds even better with more body in the bass and mids and taming the treble slightly; furthermore, with this cable + w1 ear tips + SR05, I'm at $300 USD vs the $1,300 Gaea.

I still have to test the technicalities but at 1/9th the cost of the GAEA or 1/4 with upgraded copper cable and eartips, it's beats the GAEA in terms of price to performance.

I'll put the SR05 through the burn in process and do more A/Bing but everyone here should know how I feel about the Gaea and this SR05 blows it out of the water.

Sources:
SAMSUNG Note 20 Ultra
Venture Electronics Abigail Pro Dongle

And thank you @AmericanSpirit for finding and trying this gem of an IEM.
Great to have another trustable ear to verify SR5 is a thing😄👍👍

Ahhh that cable! I was watching it and wondering if it’s any good. Glad to know it has great synergy with SR5. Order placed… That cable costs more than the price I paid for SR5 $139😂
I searched some feedbacks and saw some using on UM Marverick 2👀

That’s quite an application of DragonScale cable.
77E8666A-5F7B-4234-AEE4-C8E514FEC5A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #266 of 2,543

SR5 Mod & EA500.jpg
SR5 Mod.jpg
i've seen this kind of graph before!
overlay.jpg

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #267 of 2,543
overlay.jpg
I guess the scale is different.

The measurements need common IEM’s fr to have a proper comparison. I hope to see Truthear HEXA’s FR on that measurement environment and then it will be more readable.

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #268 of 2,543

I guess the scale is different.

The measurements need common IEM’s fr to have a proper comparison. I hope to see Truthear HEXA’s FR on that measurement environment and then it will be more readable.

Nope, when I see the graph of SR5, and @AmericanSpirit said they are using Empire Ears tech for their flagships, I immediately thinking about Empire Ears and I remember the resembles of the FR, they are tuned like Empire Ears Odin with early raise pinna gain.

odin FR.png

Of course bass shelf, everything else, resolution will be different, but Sound Rhymes have resembling Empire Ears with the Odin like tuning and using Empire Ears EST tech instead of Sonion's.

FR by DynamicEars - Tri I3.jpg

I remember the budget IEM that using similar tuning is Tri i3 (OG non pro) although different pinna gain and safer trebles, still have those too.

*edit : inviting @o0genesis0o as he is eager to see SR5's FR, there are 2 measurements from our friends here for early references buddy. (you owe me Bundaberg's lemon lime bitters)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #269 of 2,543
Nope, when I see the graph of SR5, and @AmericanSpirit said they are using Empire Ears tech for their flagships, I immediately thinking about Empire Ears and I remember the resembles of the FR, they are tuned like Empire Ears Odin with early raise pinna gain.

Of course bass shelf, everything else, resolution will be different, but Sound Rhymes have resembling Empire Ears with the Odin like tuning and using Empire Ears EST tech instead of Sonion's.

I remember the budget IEM that using similar tuning is Tri i3 (OG non pro) although different pinna gain and safer trebles, still have those too.

*edit : inviting @o0genesis0o as he is eager to see SR5's FR, there are 2 measurements from our friends here for early references buddy. (you owe me Bundaberg's lemon lime bitters)
Ah, thatOdin FR with 8-10khz peak is very similar to my perception too! it has less pinna gain floor though, I’m sensitive to those gain levels, so I‘d say it’s milder Odin with 8-10khz peak (like Anole VX’s 8-9khz peak).

I compated SR5 with my Neon Pro and personalized Bravery, they aren’t that far in grand scheme of peaks/dips. As Neon Pro is pretty close to See Audio’s Flagship Neo, I can see SR5 is somewhere between ODIN and Neo / Neon Pro.

Here is Odin vs GAEA vs See Audio NEO with HBB’s target:
14FB7FA1-3977-4083-9D2C-E89627FC97FE.png

here is ODIN vs DUNU SA6 vs Aur Audio Neon Pro

98EF7222-4468-4277-A959-914A02BE5CB4.png

SR5 is shall fit with mixture of these IEMs

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #270 of 2,543

The tuning has a hint of early pinna of Elysian Acoustic Lab as well. I personally accept but not too fond of that tuning choice. I can see that it is a vibrant IEM, at least based on the graph. The good thing is this IEM has some meat around 250Hz to counter balance that upper mid, unlike the Gaea. And Gaea does not pull back 5K either. The Gaea is like “man up and take it all, mate”

Thanks for tagging, mate :dt880smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back