Sound Rhyme impression thread
Dec 23, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #2,252 of 2,497
Dec 26, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #2,254 of 2,497
Cross-post from the Discovery thread.

My wish was granted as the DTE900 arrived on the 23rd.

Very, very impressed so far.

1226230957b.jpg

Crazy grip and texture on the bass, lush, rich mids and crystalline, shimmery treble.
Me likey.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #2,256 of 2,497
Sound Rhyme DTE900

My review on DTE900 is out, my first model from Sound Rhyme turned out to be a beast of an IEM.
It's clearly one of my favorites now. Best tribrid under 1000$, yes I think so.
Feel free to read if it's of any interest.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sound-rhyme-dte900.26730/review/32013/

do you think its worth for someone to get DT900 if already owns PENON 10th AE ???? just thought asking that man.....i am a BIG TIME FAN OF BIG THUNDEROUS BASS you know.......................................my favorite signature lies somewhere between the 10TH AE ,SZA and EST50s from ISN AUDIO.................

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,257 of 2,497
do you think its worth for someone to get DT900 if already owns PENON 10th AE ???? just thought asking that man.....
It's very early on, but I'd say yes. I think you can tune the DTE900 to be close to the 10th but also to give a brighter, less thick sound signature.
So because of this versatility, it makes sense to me at least.
I love the 10th, but DTE900 seems like a more flexible listening experience.

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #2,258 of 2,497
do you think its worth for someone to get DT900 if already owns PENON 10th AE ???? just thought asking that man.....
Hey Alexandros, I would say so. They are quite different IEMs, even if they look quite similar on measurements.
10th as you already know have a more thick and cozy sound, very engaging and special. And DTE900 cleaner and more resolving.

They are both good IEMs, but sit at different levels of performance.

Penon 10th

I got the Penon 10th on loan from a good friend, I never bought it myself due to design. Penon 10th is also a tribrid, with 2DD, 2BA and 2EST. Priced at 499$, sits within the same price range as many other tribrids. The two dynamic drivers are 6mm and work together in making the low end. If I ignore that the design is ugly, the build itself is not the best. Shell looks cheap and thin, it also has a weird nozzle that is short compared to the large body. Result is that the IEM is not the most comfortable to use.

Bass on the 10th is good, I am not denying that it has a nice texture and is loud and big. Where I am not very satisfied with is how it slam and moves air, it's slow and soft. For some this can be perfect, as it does give you a warm cozy and closed in feel. When listening to DTE900 you will notice it slam much harder and is of cleaner nature, they are more on the opposite of each other. Both are nuanced and detailed, while the one with the most dynamic expression from cello or over to fast kick drums is clearly the DTE900. So 10th will have that more cozy and slow bass, while DTE900 will be the energetic and fast performer.

The mids on 10th is also very good, and has that rich Penon vocal style. Vocals are both forward and thick, with great resolving capability. 10th shine with male or darker voices more than brighter artists, brighter artists tend to sound wrong and also lack some airy capability. Male vocals are very similar on both sets, and the more slow presentation might even make 10th better on some albums over DTE900. But for most music they are the same, and if it's faster and more complex music DTE900 everyday.

When listening to females the DTE900 has more presence and airy rich sound to them, it's in a way less thick and diffused. I don't say 10th is bad, more of in comparison. As for instruments it's very good on both sets, while 10th has some uneven tonality on especially the upper part of the piano range. Some high hats and sharper old recordings can hit a peak in 10th making it slightly shrill, it's subtle and not often. On some other recordings it's the opposite where 10th is more relaxed than DTE900, I actually just think it's due to some slight BA timbre appearing sometimes in 10th.

The treble is refined while maybe having a too big anti sibilance region, at first I didn't understand why some piano pieces, brass or violin parts lacked some airy tonality and presence. Looking at measurements, Penon has gone down a safe road and reduced the sibilance region a good amount. Very good at removing sibilance and fatigue, at the cost of losing some treble and resolution. I never find DTE900 sibilant, and at the same time it’s more detailed than 10th.
If it's the extra ESTs or what, the DTE900 has a nicer shimmery treble than the 10th.

Soundstage is a tough one, the 10th is wide and lacks depth. DTE900 is for me wider than 10th and also has a much bigger depth, maybe if we compare them two. The 10th is like listening to nearfield speakers and DTE900 to normal speakers, even though this is not a speaker presentation and I exaggerate it. It's just that DTE900 is larger by a good amount, and I personally love this. Remember that soundstage is very personal from person to person.

Dec 26, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #2,259 of 2,497
Hey Alexandros, I would say so. They are quite different IEMs, even if they look quite similar on measurements.
10th as you already know have a more thick and cozy sound, very engaging and special. And DTE900 cleaner and more resolving.

They are both good IEMs, but sit at different levels of performance.

Penon 10th

I got the Penon 10th on loan from a good friend, I never bought it myself due to design. Penon 10th is also a tribrid, with 2DD, 2BA and 2EST. Priced at 499$, sits within the same price range as many other tribrids. The two dynamic drivers are 6mm and work together in making the low end. If I ignore that the design is ugly, the build itself is not the best. Shell looks cheap and thin, it also has a weird nozzle that is short compared to the large body. Result is that the IEM is not the most comfortable to use.

Bass on the 10th is good, I am not denying that it has a nice texture and is loud and big. Where I am not very satisfied with is how it slam and moves air, it's slow and soft. For some this can be perfect, as it does give you a warm cozy and closed in feel. When listening to DTE900 you will notice it slam much harder and is of cleaner nature, they are more on the opposite of each other. Both are nuanced and detailed, while the one with the most dynamic expression from cello or over to fast kick drums is clearly the DTE900. So 10th will have that more cozy and slow bass, while DTE900 will be the energetic and fast performer.

The mids on 10th is also very good, and has that rich Penon vocal style. Vocals are both forward and thick, with great resolving capability. 10th shine with male or darker voices more than brighter artists, brighter artists tend to sound wrong and also lack some airy capability. Male vocals are very similar on both sets, and the more slow presentation might even make 10th better on some albums over DTE900. But for most music they are the same, and if it's faster and more complex music DTE900 everyday.

When listening to females the DTE900 has more presence and airy rich sound to them, it's in a way less thick and diffused. I don't say 10th is bad, more of in comparison. As for instruments it's very good on both sets, while 10th has some uneven tonality on especially the upper part of the piano range. Some high hats and sharper old recordings can hit a peak in 10th making it slightly shrill, it's subtle and not often. On some other recordings it's the opposite where 10th is more relaxed than DTE900, I actually just think it's due to some slight BA timbre appearing sometimes in 10th.

The treble is refined while maybe having a too big anti sibilance region, at first I didn't understand why some piano pieces, brass or violin parts lacked some airy tonality and presence. Looking at measurements, Penon has gone down a safe road and reduced the sibilance region a good amount. Very good at removing sibilance and fatigue, at the cost of losing some treble and resolution. I never find DTE900 sibilant, and at the same time it’s more detailed than 10th.
If it's the extra ESTs or what, the DTE900 has a nicer shimmery treble than the 10th.

Soundstage is a tough one, the 10th is wide and lacks depth. DTE900 is for me wider than 10th and also has a much bigger depth, maybe if we compare them two. The 10th is like listening to nearfield speakers and DTE900 to normal speakers, even though this is not a speaker presentation and I exaggerate it. It's just that DTE900 is larger by a good amount, and I personally love this. Remember that soundstage is very personal from person to person.
won't bother you any more man, but 're you suggesting that leans towards on the more linear or analytical side of things?? resulting on less note weight overall , less body weight ?? cause its a lot of cash in any case someone misjudge this monitor's signature all am saying is that..............

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #2,260 of 2,497
won't bother you any more man, but 're you suggesting that leans towards on the more linear or analytical side of things?? resulting on less note weight overall , less body weight ?? cause its a lot of cash in any case someone misjudge this monitor's signature all am saying is that..............
All I can say is that its a really good IEM, more technical than 10th. DTE900 is also on the warm side and is not clinical or cold.
Will it be for everybody, No. This is for every IEM out there its always a gamble if its for you or not, and few have the luxury to demo gear.

Dec 26, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #2,263 of 2,497
I wanted to mention something that I found interesting regarding the DTE900: because of the longer nozzle and insertion depth, I had to use small size ear tips to get a comfortable set-up.
This was unexpected because I use only M or L size tips with any of my other IEMs (including the Fan 2).

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #2,265 of 2,497
BTW, what is everyone's preferred switch settings with the DTE900? I am enjoying UD [normal] and DD [with a 25Ω impedance adapter.]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back