Sound Rhyme impression thread
Jul 7, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #1,501 of 2,519
Neon Pro is amazing! The pressure build is real though. I suffered through it but every long session with NP caused pressure build escalating to a headache. This is one reason I sold mine….I’m having similar issues with Ronin right now as well. Funny because I never experienced that with Traillii like many others did.

NP has been hit and miss with me from a pressure perspective - the Tanchjim T300 tips have definitely helped, as they did too for me with Traillii. Agreed though, they are absolutely amazing…

Jul 7, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #1,502 of 2,519
I wouldnt describe SR8 treble as laid back with the treble switch on. It's very natural in its extension and quantity.

Treble switch off it becomes more smooth which is very flattering for jazz imo.

I have all three but P8 only landed (and Neon Pro on loan) - I’m impressed so far, and to my ears offers a different flavour to SR8 or Neon Pro, but certainly a step below both from a technical perspective. P8 has that noticeable DD bass as a big positive, even though I think the others do extremely well with BAs. SR8 and NP sound more mature, refined and coherent with the former leaning more relaxed, and the latter more energetic… SR8 my pick of the bunch, incredibly addictive set, but both amazing.
Thank you kind sirs!

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #1,504 of 2,519
Can you guys also compare the SR8 with variations. they both cost almost the same.
I've had the Moondrop Variations for over a year but moved on from it. But I feel like the SR8 is definitely a step or 2 above in quality.

The one thing the Variations has over the SR8 is the DD and bigger sub bass. But the SR8 has a much bigger soundstage and is smoother and I prefer its tuning and presentation over the Variations.

SR8 has some special sauce for me that I really like, Variations can't compete with it.

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #1,505 of 2,519
Can you guys also compare the SR8 with variations. they both cost almost the same.
There's a solid 230 dollar price difference between the two. Relatively speaking, I'm not sure I'd call that almost the same :smiley:

Regardless, I had the Variations at some point. Sold them cause they were thin sounding and didn't excite me very much. They never made me feel the music. Apart from the separation, the Variations never gave me the feeling of an expensive iem.
SR8 is the opposite:
  • They have soul and play every genre I throw at them amazingly
  • The stage is super wide
  • Loads of details
  • Great bass
  • To me, they are a true chameleon/allrounder IEM
  • The whole frequency spectrum lies within 7-8db from the highest peak to the lowest low. In contrast, the Variations have almost 16db elevation from highest point in the bass, to lowest part of the mids

No iem does everything perfectly, but the SR8 does a damn good job at trying-
Say I for some reason had to sell off all my other sets, and just keep the SR8, I wouldn't be too bummed about it.

If I had to nitpick, then it's that the SR8 doesn't rumble as much as a really good DD in ultra low sub-bass region. And since the bass is "only" elevated by roughly 5-7db from highest point of the bass, to the lowest part of the mids, you need to really crank up the volume if you want that hefty bass feeling. They do scale very well with volume, though.
The SR8 + a V-shaped iem with a good DD for bass and ESTs to compliment the SR8, and I think I have reached my endgame.

Take all of this with a grain of salt; this is me judging from my own personal experience (from memory) with the sets, and from analyzing the FR of both sets.

Finally, here is my set. Still think it's an absolute beauty. Definitely worth the 50 dollar extra, imo.

20230615_131951 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #1,506 of 2,519
There's a solid 230 dollar price difference between the two. Relatively speaking, I'm not sure I'd call that almost the same :smiley:

Regardless, I had the Variations at some point. Sold them cause they were thin sounding and didn't excite me very much. They never made me feel the music. Apart from the separation, the Variations never gave me the feeling of an expensive iem.
SR8 is the opposite:
  • They have soul and play every genre I throw at them amazingly
  • The stage is super wide
  • Loads of details
  • Great bass
  • To me, they are a true chameleon/allrounder IEM. If I for some reason had to sell off all my other sets, and just keep the SR8, I wouldn't be too bummed about it.
  • The whole frequency spectrum lies within 7-8db from the highest peak to the lowest low. In contrast, the Variations have almost 16db elevation from highest point in the bass, to lowest part of the mids
If I had to nitpick, then it's that the SR8 doesn't rumble as much as a really good DD in ultra low sub-bass region. And since the bass is "only" elevated by roughly 5-7db from highest point of the bass, to the lowest part of the mids, you need to really crank up the volume if you want that hefty bass feeling. They do scale very well with volume, though.

Take all of this with a grain of salt; this is me judging from my own personal experience (from memory) with the sets, and from analyzing the FR of both sets-

Finally, here is my set. Still think it's an absolute beauty. Definitely worth the 50 dollar extra, imo.

20230615_131951 (1).jpg
the SR8 is in fact one of the least annoying IEMs I've heard lately, my favorite settings are 1-1 and 0-0, my sound counterpoint is the other enchanting IEM Thor Mjölnir MK2, another fantastic IEM that won't never leave my collection.

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #1,508 of 2,519
Well, im convinced. Where should i buy SR8 from? Have never bought anything from Aliexpress. Is there any shop that can write that iem cost 20 USD, so i dont need to pay 180 USD in tax :D
Try to find a logistics company that provides import service from taobao or aliexpress. Usually they only demand a small fee for packaging.

Jul 7, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #1,512 of 2,519
the SR8 is in fact one of the least annoying IEMs I've heard lately, my favorite settings are 1-1 and 0-0, my sound counterpoint is the other enchanting IEM Thor Mjölnir MK2, another fantastic IEM that won't never leave my collection.
Outstanding you have a set of the Mjölnir MKII I love mine close to Endgame material! I retuned mine a bit to lower the pina gain to my preferences love it!

Jul 7, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #1,513 of 2,519
thanks everyone for input on SR8. It seems like a true TOTL contender. I kinda have enough with the flat-ish, U-shaped, or neutral sound with good resolution, now that a $370 can do it. The next challenge would be obviously-colour-yet-TOTL-tech. I’ll put SR8 on the shortlist.

How is the resolution and treble extension of SR7, btw?

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #1,514 of 2,519
Outstanding you have a set of the Mjölnir MKII I love mine close to Endgame material! I retuned mine a bit to lower the pina gain to my preferences love it!

I saw your squig of that, did you use the Knowles tuning dampers? I actually bought all of the different colors of them after getting my Mjolnir but I never fiddled with. If it's something else, how did you tune yours?

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #1,515 of 2,519
I saw your squig of that, did you use the Knowles tuning dampers? I actually bought all of the different colors of them after getting my Mjolnir but I never fiddled with. If it's something else, how did you tune yours?
I did the same for the BA filters but haven't touched them either. I changed mine with nozzel filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back