Sound Quality : Sennheiser HD 239 vs HD 449
May 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

harryrupam

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about pure sound quality... so what's better in term of that?? Sennheiser HD 239 or HD 449/HD 439/HD 215-II?? Open Back-Closed back is not my concern... neither is Isolation... And I'm not a Bass-head either... But I like the "Right" amount of bass in music....so what's better in Sound quality??? help will be much appreciated :)

May 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi,

not so sure how you would describe pure sound quality. I have the HD239, the HD448 (predecessor of 449) and the HD 25-1 (not II). All three are great headphones.

I have not a/b them so far directly because they are very different animals, open, closed, on-ear, over-ear.

So in short form memory:
HD239 - lots of fun to listen to, balanced and nice mids, enough bass, good soundstage for an open headphone
HD448 - forward, detailed, forgiving and musical headphone, great isolation with very good soundstage for closed headphones
HD 25-1 - robust, smaller soundstage than 448, punchy bass, very detailed highs, good midrange, very neutral but also such a joy to listen to, very good isolation for a on-ear headphone

This is very generic feedback, I can listen to them next week in sequence and let you know. All 3 are phenomenal headphones for their price.

Cheers,
K

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
I for one found the 239's to be a bit lacking in detail... Might I say *cough* *cough* VEILED? If it's detail you're looking for, try the 449...

I agree for the highs, they are more detailed with the closed 449 (which has quite a nice soundstage for being closed btw). I wouldn't call the sound of the 239 veiled at all. 
deadhorse.gif

They do have slightly rolled off highs in comparison and they are less detail monsters but more fun headphones. Music sounds great on them. If precise and pinching detail is your thing and analytical listening, then no, I wouldn't recommend them. If you love your music and want to enjoy it on the go, go for them.

Linking innerfidelity's wall of fame here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-open

Cheers,
K

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I'm thinking about pure sound quality... so what's better in term of that?? Sennheiser HD 239 or HD 449/HD 439/HD 215-II?? Open Back-Closed back is not my concern... neither is Isolation... And I'm not a Bass-head either... But I like the "Right" amount of bass in music....so what's better in Sound quality??? help will be much appreciated :)

dude which genre u listen to ? thats the question. on the basis of songs the sound quality is decided. ppl even listen to puke(beats) as they like hip hop or whatever.. u should choose the headphone as per ur genre..thx.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 11
Guys I bought the HD 449 3 days ago... Out of the box It sounded kind of like "Not So Good" to me... BUT after I used Those in my PC for couple of hours and spending more time on finding a proper Music player for my Android tablet I found NRG player (Android) the best for these cans in my Tablet and Those sounded awesome... The sound quality really varied so much with those players.. Acoustic and Classical songs really shined
beyersmile.png
. I listened Adele's whole 19 album in FLAC and the Details really made me smile
L3000.gif

I tried these with hip hop songs (Though I don't listen to them much) & they didn't do quite well...
I tried them in my PC for gaming and Movies also and there they sounded phenomenal... specially gaming sounded very good...very spacious and detailed.. This is my first Headphone in the above $110 price range and to be honest, at the very first I didn't quite liked the sound of HD 449. But after using for 7-8 hours and equalizing it..It sounded great to me...very detailed.. I'm very satisfied with it...Looking forward to some upper models in the future
smile.gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 11
Just as a counterbalance:

All my Sennheisers CX300, CX400-II, CX 880, HD239, HD448, HD25-1, HD598 are all working perfectly well. After many years in certain cases. And they were not treated gently :wink:

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back