Sound Quality of Itouch 64g vs Sony X-1050 vs Zune HD using AAC
Dec 28, 2009 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

joplin

New Head-Fier
I have always been of the belief that the new Ipods have crappy sound even though I have never owned one.
I was going to get the Sony X-1050 which has excellent sound and a nice screen. The Zune HD has a great screen/browser/ and I've heard good sound.

I've always been impressed with the ipod in regards to screen/apps/browser/ and have always believed the sound was not good.
I was talking to a friend in Montreal today who told me buy the New Itouch 64g and take all your CDs using Itunes and use the AAC format(Upper Quality)in Itunes not sure what he meant by this?
And to make sure that I buy high end Iem's.
I'm an audiophile that wants great sound using efficent Iem's.
Have I been wrong all these years about the Itouch sound quality?
I hope that I have because in the end I would love and Itouch 64g if its up to the sound test.

One more thing if I'm recording my songs from CD to PC in this AAC format will I be able to record this music to CD-R and play it through my sound system with great sound results?

I look forward to your answers.

Greg
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 22
Sony X sounds the best, iPod touch is in second, and the ZHD is last. I managed to hear all of them, and thats the conclusion I came to.

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 22
I did a rather quick A/B of a touch and my X and the X has noticible better SQ

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JarodL1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the X series still have better sound quality if you use a LOD cable on an ipod?

I used an LOD + touch 2G +Alo Rx and I still preferred the X1060 directly from its HO using APS V3 recabled HFi 780 despite its lower power. I just found it to be more musical and better able to covey a sense of space in the sound field.

Dec 29, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 22
from the quick AB I was able to discern that the X keeps the bass in check far far better, it seemed rather bloated on the touch. Also the highs were shrill and unnatural, a clapping noise on the touch sounded like a snare drum, on the X is sounded like a clap. I didn't have long to listen but those were the two things that immediately stood out for me

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from the quick AB I was able to discern that the X keeps the bass in check far far better, it seemed rather bloated on the touch. Also the highs were shrill and unnatural, a clapping noise on the touch sounded like a snare drum, on the X is sounded like a clap. I didn't have long to listen but those were the two things that immediately stood out for me

what generation of touch were you using?

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 22
The X blows them all out of the water....by quite a distance actually. The sound is so much cleaner coming out of the X. I own an ipod touch, but will never listen to music on it again.....ever. I kept it because I like watching videos on it and I still listen to podcasts while driving to work on it. But as for musicality, they are not close.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X blows them all out of the water....by quite a distance actually. The sound is so much cleaner coming out of the X. I own an ipod touch, but will never listen to music on it again.....ever. I kept it because I like watching videos on it and I still listen to podcasts while driving to work on it. But as for musicality, they are not close.

i need to ask again,what generation of the touch?the third or second?

Dec 29, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the Touch 2G and no longer listen to music on it either. I just use it for browsing and emails if I'm not near a computer, or for watching videos if I'm on a flight. Actually, I liked the Touch for a while, especially the soundstage (which is bigger than the X) - but I listened to music on it last week and was struck by how non-muscial it sounded in comparison with the X. I know some people think the Touch sounds like crap, but I don't think it does. It just doesn't sound nearly as enjoyable as the X, much more thick and congested like it has flu
regular_smile .gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i need to ask again,what generation of the touch?the third or second?

I have a second generation ipod touch. I also have a third generation ipod nano. And I actually think the nano sounds better than my touch. But it's also not in the same league as the X. And that goes for the S Series Walkman as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back