Sound quality headphones for gaming and music?
Dec 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DashBerlin

New Head-Fier
I am looking to get new headphones for gaming and music on my computer and had ordered some ultrasone hfi 580's on amazon but they are out of stock and it might be a while. If I were to cancel those and choose between the audio technica ad700's and the siberia v2's which would be better for gaming and music with good overall sound quality on the computer? I've heard the ad700's bass is pretty non existent and I do listen to trance and rock music.

Also should I really try to wait out for the ultrasone's? I've heard they are really good but are they better than the other two that I'm looking at? I want something that just isn't going to give really good high's and bass quality but good overall sound as well.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 14
AD700 is a particular case, having massive soundstage (also due to their open nature), and very light on bass, all of which makes them very good for competitive gaming, not so much for immersive gaming.

The HFI-580 soundstage is reasonably good, considering they're closed headphones. If you don't want to wait for them to be back in stock, you can get the Pro 550, which costs $20 more, being slightly more balanced, allowing for easy pad replacement and coming with two detachable cables.

EDIT: What are you using with the headphones? Onboard audio chip, internal soundcard, external DAC? And do you have a headphone amp?

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 14
Just a internal soundcard. I actually am on a  very tight budget right now, so I don't have the extra 20 dollars to dish out for the 550's. I don't have an amp either.

Another question I have is how are the 580's going to do when it comes to gaming? Is their soundstage better than something like say the siberia v2's?

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 14
Which soundcard do you have?

The HFI-580 soundstage is better than the Siberia V2, partly due to S-Logic.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Ok, it's an onboard audio chip by Realtek. When I mention internal soundcards, I'm talking about dedicated PCI or PCIe cards that slot into the motherboard rather than being integrated chips.

Do you do competitive and/or immersive gaming?

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 14
Look at multiplayer as competitive and singleplayer as immersive.

For the price point, the HFI-580 are quite nice for the games you play.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 14
Another thing I wanted to ask is that I've heard that the hfi 580's are kind of uncomfortable. My roommate has the siberia v2's and they are very comfy. I'm just wondering how comfy or uncomfortable the 580's are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back