Sound quality between Amazon Music HD / Qobuz / Tidal
Jan 25, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #17 of 112
Qobuz has the smallest musical library, or it feels that way since multiple artists I searched for were not available, but they were on Amazon Music HD and Tidal. Just my two cents.
Agree. Plus Qobuz has regional artist limitations. The US account had much fewer artists which I was interested in when compared to the European account.

Mar 10, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #18 of 112
Hey!

I normally use my DAP for audio. But I was fooling around on my phone and saw the option to activate Alexa for Amazon Music HD - it's pretty cool!

My DAP doesn't have a physical mic input

BUT - I am getting a Bluetooth iem neckband and that will have a mic. I hope I can use it!

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 112
Loving Amazon Music HD using:

Sony 507 dap
Via wired or LDAC Bluetooth
And
Macbook Pro
Via 96k 24 bit wired usb to ATDSR9BT Or Via AptX Bluetooth.

The scrolling lyrics are nice sometimes.

But sometimes using.my iPhone it doesn't play nice with my Chromecast Audio.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #22 of 112
Would love to use amazon music hd because it has the best price-quality ratio for prime-members. But the dealbreaker for me is the missing plugin for logitech media server. Since version 8 onlineservices like spotify,qobuz & tidal have a seamless integration with my local library (poor mans roon :)).

Aug 1, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #23 of 112
Shame.

Aug 1, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 112
But sometimes using.my iPhone it doesn't play nice with my Chromecast Audio.

Since discovered it won’t play ball with chromecast audio via iOS

Sep 23, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #25 of 112
My impressions of several of these services.

tl;dr: Qobuz has the best sound quality. Spotify has the best usability.

Round 1, Spotify Premium vs Qobuz: I have Spotify Premium with a Family subscription. From a value standpoint, Spotify was my default choice that has the best search as well as working well for my family. From a critical listening perspective in my auditioning sessions, Spotify actually is not bad at conveying detail, pace and presence from music. It sounds musical. Any shortcomings that it has are errors of omission rather than errors of commission. I can listen to Spotify especially in mobile settings and be engaged and immersed in the music. After listening for a longer period of time, Qobuz is clearly better at conveying detail, transparency/clarity, pace and presence, but Spotify doesn't do anything noticeably wrong.

Round 2, Qobuz vs Tidal: So far Qobuz is clearly better than Tidal even listening through pretty cheap desktop passive speakers. Tidal sounds very two dimensional and flat in its sound quality but with some harshness in the high frequencies. I'll listen a bit more to Tidal, but so far I'm not impressed at all. Spotify Premium even seems to sound better than Tidal.

Some additional thoughts about Tidal after listening on higher quality equipment. I think they have applied some equalization to boost the bass and treble. In the process, I think side effects of doing this is to take out some of the presence of voices and instruments and add an artificial quality to voices and instruments.. Qobuz sounds a LOT better. Spotify Premium also sounds better. To my ears at least. (Disclaimer: Your results may vary). I'm currently listening to a track that is a MQA file on Tidal vs a CD quality file on Qobuz. The CD quality file on Qobuz sounds a LOT fuller and more natural.

Not a big fan of hip hop, but decided to listen to something that is squarely in Tidal's area of focus. I listened to 'The Box' by Roddy Ricch which is a MQA file on Tidal and CD quality on Qobuz. Same results. The Qobuz file sounds fuller and has more presence. Almost sounds like two different recordings when listening on Qobuz vs Tidal.

Round 3, Qobuz vs Amazon HD: Winner for me is Qobuz for the following reasons.
Amazon: Sounds more flat. Less drive than Qobuz so that some music sounds like it is plodding along. Sound is less full. Amazon HD doesn't necessarily do anything wrong (as does Tidal), but also clearly not as good as Qobuz to my ears.
Qobuz: Much more presence than Amazon HD. More 3-dimensional. Better pace and drive. Better low-frequency response & definition. More range to conveying the emotion in music: (i.e., calmer for calmer music & more drive & pace for more upbeat music)

Round 4, IDAGIO vs Qobuz: Clear winner for me is Qobuz. My impressions are that Qobuz sounds fuller, has more low frequency weight and is able to convey a broader range of expression from greater calm to more drive. Qobuz also seems to have more realistic tonal quality for instruments especially for string instruments.I think this is due to greater clarity and definition from the music as reproduced by Qobuz. I thought that IDAGIO's search design would be compelling to me for listening to classical music, but I'm finding that I actually like Qobuz's search better than that on IDAGIO

Round 5: Qobuz vs Primephonic:

Sound quality:
A Primephonic's sound quality was quite good, but Qobuz' sound quality was still noticeably better. Qobuz provides more presence around instruments and voices while Primephonic, though good, tends to sound more 2-dimensional in its sound quality. The benefit of more presence is that recordings are more engaging because they sound more alive rather than just being reproduced.

Amount of Content: Also, Primephonic's lack of music content was an issue. When I did searches, I would often only be able to see one track shown from an album. Qobuz also has this issue, but to a lesser degree. Qobuz has enough gaps in content filled so that this is not so much of an issue.

Search Quality: From what I remember, search in Primephonic was difficult to use. For classical music, it is important to me to be able to be able to filter on performer and/or conductor. This seemed to be difficult to do in Primephonic. Spotify's search is best, but I'm finding Qobuz's search to be passably good.

My subjective impressions of the musicality of the major HD streaming services:
1. Qobuz
2. Primephonic
3. Spotify Premium (320 kbps Ogg Vorbis which is not lossless)
4. IDAGIO
5. Amazon HD
6 Tidal

Summary: I'm finding Qobuz to sound both more realistic and more engaging on all types of music. Jazz, Rock, Classical, even Rap/hip-hop.

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #26 of 112
it's a shame that Qobuz performs so poorly on Android DAP players. Longtime Sublime Subscription /Apple Mac user (Europe) but had to abandon it when I wanted a walk around Hi Res streaming & offline downloads solution as well. After trying Fiio and Hiby DAPs with Qobuz (like banging your head against a wall with constant lag and freezing issues) I have settled on the Sony 507 DAP with Amazon Music HD. I will look up how that performs for Qobuz users though just outof interest. I must have redownloaded my entire album collection to Tidal Qobuz and Amazon Music HD more than 6 or 7 times on different devices to try to get them working. - I am tired out from it!

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #27 of 112
it's a shame that Qobuz performs so poorly on Android DAP players. Longtime Sublime Subscription /Apple Mac user (Europe) but had to abandon it when I wanted a walk around Hi Res streaming & offline downloads solution as well. After trying Fiio and Hiby DAPs with Qobuz (like banging your head against a wall with constant lag and freezing issues) I have settled on the Sony 507 DAP with Amazon Music HD. I will look up how that performs for Qobuz users though just outof interest. I must have redownloaded my entire album collection to Tidal Qobuz and Amazon Music HD more than 6 or 7 times on different devices to try to get them working. - I am tired out from it!

I know a little of how you feel moving to from Spotify to Tidal......and considering now moving BACK to Spotify having been on Tidal for the past 3 months!

Comparing a Tidal track directly to the same song as flac download, I find myself agreeing with the poster above you that something is off with how Tidal present the music on their service.

I have tried Qobuz - but as you say on Android it really is a no go (M11 here). Honestly all these Android players have their issues with streaming. The best solution really is having an up to date phone OS, cables and adaptors through a portable amp/DAP. Clunky, but I believe it may be a necessary evil.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #28 of 112
I have stuck with Amazon Music HD

If your player doesn't have a system wide eq Amazon (Android) does.

So that will work on headphones and over Bluetooth also.

But sadly no eq option on iOS.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #29 of 112
Is it me or does Amazon music HD dampen their music a bit?

Right now I’m currently trying out deezer hi-fi and comparing the two. Deezer sounds louder.

Of course, I realize that louder doesn’t necessarily = better. Hard to explain, it just feels more fuller than Amazon HD.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #30 of 112
Same files will sound the same. Different masters will sound different.
/The end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back