Sound quality: 5G vs. Nano vs. 2G
Feb 8, 2006 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

thestumper

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Here's the deal: I currently have a Nano and a crusty old 2G ipod thats somehow still perfectly functional. Today, i found that the sound quality of the 2g pales in comparison to the Nano; at least by my ears. The tunes were jazz (mostly ahmad Jamal piano: 256K MP3) played through Shure E2C's. Same EQ settings ( I changed them up), same everything. The Nano just seemd to have a more open, airly quality too it. I had thought that the old 2G might be better because it might have larger, better amp circuitry. That didn't seem to be the case.

I have a new 5G iPod that is sitting on my desk unopened. I don't even want to bother if it hasn't improved over the 2G. I would hope that its as good as the Nano if not a little better. If its not any better than the 2G, its going back.

Could anyone who has both (or knows the devices well from an electronics perspective) let me know what I should expect?

Thanks !!!

Feb 8, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 4
Most reports suggest the 5g is even better than the nano, and definitely better than the 2g...

Style is the only reason to stick with the 2g. It says "I've been hip to the ipod since before ipods were trendy with normal people"
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 4
I have a Nano 4, a 2G 20, a Mini 6, a photo 60, and a 5G 60. I use the 2G as a bootable portable FW drive and sometimes for audiobooks. IMO, the 5G has the SQ edge over the others, but I love the handiness of the Nano. Unless you want the capacity or specific features of the 5G, you wouldn't lose much by sticking with the Nano.

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
... Unless you want the capacity or specific features of the 5G, you wouldn't lose much by sticking with the Nano.

Except the respect of my wife, who I promised it too...

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back