sound odyssey
Jul 1, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 15
I believe they went out of business. I actually had some of my wiring re-worked by Matt Anker of SACDMODS.COM. I never had any problems with the CD-25 (I have the level 3 Mod), but wanted the Zap Filter wired so it was not on all the time. Matt also "cleaned up" while he was in there..... The Sound Odyssey website and e-mail have not worked for a good while.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your player. What is it doing?

Edit: Checked my e-mail. Last e-mail I got from Brice was 9-25-2005. I was thinking about getting the Never Connected Power Supply. Brice is also banned from Head-Fi.....

Jul 1, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 15
I was thoroughly messed about by Brice and his former company. Even if he were still in business I would advise you to get someone else to fix it. And Brice if you're listening, you still owe me $250. Weasel.

Jul 1, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 15
Some guy over at the Audio Asylum forums bought a "modded" Music Hall CD player from him. It was supposed to have a Trichord clock installed. The buyer used the player for several months before opening it up to find that the internals were still stock. However, Brice did take the time to install a new output jack to fool the buyer.

He's also been banned from Audiogon.

Jul 1, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 15
He (Brice) .... had no clue how to hook up the zap filter output stage. When the zap isnt hooked up right the dc servo doesnt work and the output stage is unstable. Give Matt @ www.sacdmods.com a call or email. He can fix the problem if anyone can.

Jul 4, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 15
Thanks.
Sending the unit to Matt this week.
Will be interesting to learn his findings
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 15
I know he f-d over a lot of people. I know of another guy from Audiogon with the same problem--paid for level 2 and got nothing but upgraded jacks. I don't understand it as he seemed so genuine to me after talking, then meeting with him, several times.

As someone who owned both the Brice version and the Matt version of the CD25 with ZapFilter (like Earl's), the Brice version was wired and implemented incorrectly.

If he doesn't have at least a few lawsuits against him, he's very lucky. Cuz' I'd be filing suit in small claims court in York County, PA if I got burned.

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagosaku
Thanks.
Sending the unit to Matt this week.
Will be interesting to learn his findings
smily_headphones1.gif

SMART Move... It is an excellent player. I feel much better because I had the Zap re-wired and everything checked out by Matt.

Jul 6, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 15
In late April I emailed Soundodyssey@yahoo.com and got a response back from Brice. He said he closed Soundodyssey in December and "no longer advertise as an audio dealer, distributor of parts, and repair/modification lab."
Still, he offered to upgrade my CD-25 if I sent the parts with the player...and that he would charge a "reasonable fee."

It seemed strange, so I asked here on Head-Fi and was pointed to Matt at SACDMODS.com who I plan to go to this fall.

Thanks to you Head-Fi people!

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 15
He is being very kind to save me (and others) from the mess someone else created.
If you are interested, should be worth asking him. There is no doubt that he 'can'
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Does Matt @ SACDmods modify stock CD-25? I do not see it listed on his site....

Jul 8, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 15
Wow, I knew he went out of business, but did not know several folks got modded players that were never modded. That's awful. I had so many conversations with Brice over the phone when he modded my player, and I did examine the insides, and the work was real and neat. However, as Earl says (hey Earl!), he did install the zapfilter incorrectly leading to a DC offset issue which could have had some negative consequences to my amp. Brice fixed the problem, with the help of Earl, but I sold the player and am very happy with my current source. I even recommended Brice to a fellow head-fier and buddy and he got a modded Onix...I sure hope it was a legit job. Like Stryker (hey there), I find it almost bizarre that SO was not genuine with some orders...it's just so inconsistent with the interactions I had. I guess with his crazy slow response time and backlog, things got extreme, and when the stress levels are high, behavior can get outta hand. It is sad to read these situations, and I am glad that SACDMods was/is able to rescue folks.

- walk

Aug 1, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #15 of 15
I also enjoyed talking with Brice when he was in business.
And was lucky enough to enjoy his mod for over an year before the Zap Filter fried
smily_headphones1.gif

And thanks to the advice I got here, my CD-25 is now SACDmods modded/repaired and sounding great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back