Sound Magic PL30 or MEElec M6
Dec 17, 2009 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wildfire070

New Head-Fier
I currently have an RE2 and I love the sound, but the microphonics are pretty terrible so I'm looking for something I can use when exercising.

I listen to a variety of music....rock, alternative/indie, house, drum & bass, hip hop.

I've narrowed it down to the PL30 or the M6. Which one provides a better fit and comfort? The M6 definitely looks a lot better, but comfort and SQ are more important factors.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 10
As great as the PL30 is, the M6 is several levels higher in SQ. Fit-wise with the right tips they are equally comfortable but the PL30 is more user friendly due to lack of memory wire. The memory wire can be removed, though, or could even come in handy when exercising.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildfire070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input! What tips do you recommend for the M6?

De-Cored Shure Olives or Sony Hybrids

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Not to contradict joker, but I don't find the SQ of the M6 as higher (better) than the PL30s; it's just more "full" and a lot warmer. The PL30s are awesome sounding phones when you have a good seal. They are very clear sounding and have great range, but bass may be lacking for a lot of folks. The M6 is a great phone, but I hate the memory wire. I like its presentation a lot, as it is a good all-round phone for listening to everything on the go. Not better though... just a different presentation of sound. May be easier to get a good seal for most folks than the PL30s. I use a bi-flange on both.

If I were looking for phones just to work-out with, I'd buy PL11s: Cheap, good sound (especially when loud) and won't come lose short of a 6.5 quake. If damaged due to sweat, or rough usage, it would be NBD. Standard, great soundmagic accessories including a clip.

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd like to stick with an over the ear style though.

What about the PL50? It seems to be a lot smaller. Would it be a more comfortable fit since I have pretty small ear canals?

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 10
Another vote for the Meelec M6. It's "exclusively" over-the-ear design. I find myself listening to it more than my IE8 now.. lol.

I also have the soundmagic PL50. Yes it's a lot smaller than the M6. Should be comfortable enough for you, and with their range of tips that come included, I'm sure you'll find one that will fit perfectly
smily_headphones1.gif
Microphonics shouldn't be a problem with the pl50 or the M6 (new version) as well.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 10
I vote for the AI-M6 as well. I had the PL30's and they generally sounded good, but their low impedance caused them to hiss with a lot of sources. I got the AI-M9 (same drivers as M6) - and really love them. The AI-M9 (and presumably the M6 - which people say sound as good or better) are my favorite bargain earphones by far. If you're in the US, you can get them in black from newegg for $25 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back