Sound Isolating In-Ear Headphone Recs
Jul 4, 2010 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mtrzrv3

New Head-Fier
Hey All,

Just joined the forums. I'm looking to buy a new pair of in-ear headphones (<$150, around 100 preferred). I currently have the bose in-ear ones but those have been horrible because the wire keeps fraying and i end up having to hold it at a certain angle just to hear sound out of one ear bud so I need them to be durable,

I'm currently deciding between the:

1) Shure SE110 (not sure of the differences between the shure models, the se110, 115, scl2, e2c's, would appreciate if someone could clarify that for me since they all seem in the same price range).
2) shure scl2/e2c's
3) V-Moda Vibe
4) Klipsch Image S4
5) etymotic er6i's (i've heard the reviews aren't that great?)
Any input.

If you have any other recs please let me too!

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 11
I've used the Shure E2c's/SCL2's for stage monitoring purposes and have done some listening with them. The only difference between the two is that the SCL2 is the updated version and is supposed to be used primarily for monitoring rather than listening. As for sound, they're fairly neutral and balanced, but there's nothing particularly special about them; they just sort of pump out the sound in a lifeless sort of way.

All of the SE model Shures are the new series and having a slightly different listening curve than the SCL and E series. The 110 and 115 both have a "warm" and slightly bassy sound if that's what you're looking for, but they sacrifice some clarity on the treble.

I'll mark out the Shures automatically for two reasons: You can get better earphones at the price range, and the Shures are infamous for cable durability issues (fraying, cracking, shorts, etc.)

The Vibe and S4 both have a rather bass-heavy sound as well, but the Vibes are also supposed to be super durable because of their metal housing. For the record though, the S4 are supposed to be very comfortable.

I'll give the recommendation of the Ety ER6i. Deep isolation, great sound, and reasonably priced.

But, it would also help us out if you would give us some clue as to your listening tastes; that will help recommendations tremendously. Happy hunting!

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
I've used the Shure E2c's/SCL2's for stage monitoring purposes and have done some listening with them. The only difference between the two is that the SCL2 is the updated version and is supposed to be used primarily for monitoring rather than listening. As for sound, they're fairly neutral and balanced, but there's nothing particularly special about them; they just sort of pump out the sound in a lifeless sort of way.

All of the SE model Shures are the new series and having a slightly different listening curve than the SCL and E series. The 110 and 115 both have a "warm" and slightly bassy sound if that's what you're looking for, but they sacrifice some clarity on the treble.

I'll mark out the Shures automatically for two reasons: You can get better earphones at the price range, and the Shures are infamous for cable durability issues (fraying, cracking, shorts, etc.)

The Vibe and S4 both have a rather bass-heavy sound as well, but the Vibes are also supposed to be super durable because of their metal housing. For the record though, the S4 are supposed to be very comfortable.

I'll give the recommendation of the Ety ER6i. Deep isolation, great sound, and reasonably priced.

But, it would also help us out if you would give us some clue as to your listening tastes; that will help recommendations tremendously. Happy hunting!

Thanks!

I'll be using it to listen to podcasts/voice stuff/all genres of music (pop and pretty much anything). Not sure exactly what im looking for on that end, im a newbie to all this. One of my main concerns is that I'd like headphones that are durable unlike my boses which had the wire problems.

Hope that helps!

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 11
Okay then. Thanks for your input!

I would go for the ER6i. The fit may be a little weird for someone who is new to the IEM world, but they're wonderful earphones. The wire is a little thin, so you don't want to abuse them, but there are some on here who have talked about their ER6i lasting for at least 2 or 3 years if that's any help on the durability issues.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm also not sure of any other headphones that are out there so if anyone has any other recs I'd like that.

Yeah the wires on the er-6's and the fit seemed weird so they were kind of my last choice. I heard that they're really high maintenance too (having to clean the earbuds frequently?)

any other recs?

also, are the er6's totally noise cancelling, i'd kind of like to be able to hear what's going on (somewhat) if i go jogging or in the office. i liked my bose's except for the durability but then i haven't really listened to any headphones other than that.

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Part of the maintenance is a regular part of IEMs in general; they're in your ear, and if your ears aren't that clean, there will be gunk and ear wax all over them. It's gross, but that's how it goes.

The ER6i do isolate a lot of noise around you, so if you need to be aware of your surroundings, I wouldn't recommend them.

However, the Maximo iMetal im590 are supposed to have great balanced sound, solid durability, and decent isolation (enough for you to remain aware of the things around you) for under $100. Look up some threads on them here to get some more information, they're supposed to be wonderful IEMs around $60. I'm actually thinking of investing in a pair myself.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 11
are the shure's horrible (durability wise)

the reviews look good for the Maximo iMetal im590. has anyone had any personal experience with these? would i be giving up a lot in sound quality compared with the shures/etymotics

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 11
+1 Etymotic ER-6i

Also look into the Head-Direct RE-0. They are a tremendous value.

Though a little out of your price range, I would recommend looking into the Radius DDM and the Fischer Audio DBA-02.

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
the reviews look good for the Maximo iMetal im590. has anyone had any personal experience with these? would i be giving up a lot in sound quality compared with the shures/etymotics

Not at all - the iM-590 has a very balanced and dynamic sound to it. It competes quite easily with lower-end Shure and Ety models but it's way underbudget at around $45. 

Personally in that price range I'd look at the ViSang R03 and Fischer Audio Eterna. Both are rather bassy but very competent all-around performers and great value for money. If you want something indestructible, there's also the Panasonic HJE900 at around $130.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back