Sound is subjective.... " B U T " !!!
Dec 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Gclef

Head-Fier
While I do understand (and appreciate) how different people hear things differently, I can't quite understand how some descriptions are absolutely ridiculous and untrue.  The DT 770 (80 ohms) LACK bass?  Really?  What?  I started out looking for slightly "bassy" cans...and these Beyer's are off the charts.  The bass is EVERYWHERE.  I actually enjoyed them for the short time I had them, but they're not what I'm after...too boomy, I want something cleaner and tighter overall.  There's just no way in hell you can say they're NOT bassy...LIE!   Then there's the Sony Z1000.  Someone said they have too much bass.  Really?  What?  These are unquestionably neutral...borderline analytical cans if anything.  They shouldn't allow people who are tone deaf to post headphone reviews.  I can understand differences in headphones to varying degrees, but it's just not right when people are completely misleading.  Is there a reason for that?  Are they so self-centered that they need to stand out in the crowd?  Do they get-off on tripping people up?  Thankfully it's the exception and not the norm.

I'm still on the hunt for MY perfect cans.  I have a pair of D2000's on the way.  For the most part they are regarded as "bassy", yet you can find plenty of reviews that say....not so.  Really?  What?  LOL!   I'm hoping these are the "holy grail" to MY ears...but we shall see.  My only worry is the soundstage.  If they have 75% of the soundstage of those Beyer's, I may be onto something (?) 

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 11
The soundstage of the Denons should be sufficient, because, well, they have pretty much the biggest soundstages of a closed headphone.(Except for the Sony R10, of course.) And their bass looks to be much more easy-going. At least I hope.

And about the differences in people's sound perception, Caracara is right. We all do hear things differently for many reasons, and we all have different amps+sources.
My easy-to-drive Audio Technica M50's sound totally different from every source I use them with. Their bass goes from weak with a PC, to neutral with my Zune, and finally earth-shattering with my Sony HT receiver.

Have you been using an amp with your DT 770?
blink.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 11
I do understand how equipment plays a role in all of this, and I'll admit I'm that I'm limited in that area, but I also have to believe that if you have equipment that changes sound properties THAT drastically, you might wanna mention that in your review.  I just don't see the point in contradicting the masses without identifying any extenuating circumstances...IF they do exist.

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
While I do understand (and appreciate) how different people hear things differently, I can't quite understand how some descriptions are absolutely ridiculous and untrue.  The DT 770 (80 ohms) LACK bass?  Really?  What?  I started out looking for slightly "bassy" cans...and these Beyer's are off the charts.  The bass is EVERYWHERE.  I actually enjoyed them for the short time I had them, but they're not what I'm after...too boomy, I want something cleaner and tighter overall.  There's just no way in hell you can say they're NOT bassy...LIE!   Then there's the Sony Z1000.  Someone said they have too much bass.  Really?  What?  These are unquestionably neutral...borderline analytical cans if anything.  They shouldn't allow people who are tone deaf to post headphone reviews.  I can understand differences in headphones to varying degrees, but it's just not right when people are completely misleading.  Is there a reason for that?  Are they so self-centered that they need to stand out in the crowd?  Do they get-off on tripping people up?  Thankfully it's the exception and not the norm.

I'm still on the hunt for MY perfect cans.  I have a pair of D2000's on the way.  For the most part they are regarded as "bassy", yet you can find plenty of reviews that say....not so.  Really?  What?  LOL!   I'm hoping these are the "holy grail" to MY ears...but we shall see.  My only worry is the soundstage.  If they have 75% of the soundstage of those Beyer's, I may be onto something (?) 

saying you understand that people may hear thing differently and then bash them for their opinion....

such an understanding and appreciation you have there...

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 11
With the DT770 pro 80's, I think one may have been possibly thinking midbass punch when they were describing lack of bass? The 770 80 pro's definitely have a lot of lower bass but I've heard other headphones with a meatier midbass punch I have to say.

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I do understand how equipment plays a role in all of this, and I'll admit I'm that I'm limited in that area, but I also have to believe that if you have equipment that changes sound properties THAT drastically, you might wanna mention that in your review.  I just don't see the point in contradicting the masses without identifying any extenuating circumstances...IF they do exist.

I don't own the Denon 2000s but do own the Denon 5000s and I will tell you straight up the Denons are not bass light. There is a lot of quantity and quality bass with these. Sound stage is also decently big on them. You may find the denon 2000s to be recessed in the mid range though due to the extended treble and prominent bass. If you want to fix that issue find a source that will accentuate the mids and bring more balance to the treble and bass. You can also perform the open-back mod as I have thus improving the mid-range, expanding the sound stage, significantly tightening up the bass and making the treble more detailed and airy. Although it may be a bit too early for you to jump into the modding scene lol (its a mod that can be tested without any permanent modifications).

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #9 of 11
Again, I've read posts where people say the D2000's are crisp...virtually crystal clear...then others who say it's muddy.  Alrighty then!  In all fairness, I do believe the source/amp and recording will definitely have an impact here, so I take what's being said in that regard with a grain of salt. I'm mainly using a Macbook Pro or IPhone 4S through an iBasso D6 DAC/AMP.  Between those Boomy 770's and my new found appreciation of detail through the Sony Z1000's, I think I have a very good basis of information to draw upon when I listen to these Denon's.  I will definitely post my honest and unbiased opinion. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 11
I think part of it is people's frame of reference... 

If you've only had really muddy cans, the 2000 will sound crisp. If you've been listening to a steady stream of K702s, the 2000 will sound muddy... etc.

All in all - grain of salt - I mentally collect a bunch of impressions and aggregate them, and also weight heavily reviews from people whose ears and experience I've come to trust (usually people who have reviewed many headphones/rigs on here) and I can believe know the difference. But in the end, how *you* hear them, is what matters. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 11
you also have to consider what headphone ppl are coming from. if my only experience with headphones were say... skullcandy or wahtever its called, i may think the d2000 are super clear.  i myself, coming from teh T1, hd800 etc, might not think the same. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back