Sound Improvement Micro DAC
Jan 13, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 19
Compared to which source? IE what do you currently have your Micro amp plugged into?

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pltan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok...So I have a Micro Amp and a set of HD650's

Can anyone please explain to me what kind of SQ improvement would a Micro DAC provide?

Depends on what you currently have doing your digital to analog conversion for you. When I switched to a dedicated DAC, I did so when originally using the headphone output on my iMac. I got both a DAC and headphone AMP.

I don't use the MicroDAC, but I'm sure it would make for superior Digital to Analog conversion when compared to my iMac. I use a FireStone Spitfire DAC and am sure the MicroDAC should be at least as good.

The HD 650's deserve a good source of sound and a good amp, so I'd recommend beefing up the source.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 19
Straight from PC , Sound Blaster
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Straight from PC , Sound Blaster
smily_headphones1.gif

Then the MicroDAC will make a big difference, especially if you're playing either lossless format music files or high bitrate mp3's. In my experience, the better recordings with very good sound production benefit most from the DAC.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 19
Agreed, Aimlink.
biggrin.gif

Though I can't speak for the regular Micro DAC, the Ultra Micro I have offered improved speed, soundstage and fine texture over what I was using before (A Total Bithead connected to my Micro AMp w/ mini-mini). Compared to straight out of my laptop it's night and day.

EDIT: And the noise floor of both the Micro and Ultra Micro are fantastic. Huge dynamics!

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, Aimlink.
biggrin.gif

Though I can't speak for the regular Micro DAC, the Ultra Micro I have offered improved speed, soundstage and fine texture over what I was using before (A Total Bithead connected to my Micro AMp w/ mini-mini). Compared to straight out of my laptop it's night and day.

EDIT: And the noise floor of both the Micro and Ultra Micro are fantastic. Huge dynamics!

Even straight from the computer, the HD 650's sound way better than what the majority has ever heard from headphones.

To me, the quality moves from good to terrific.
smily_headphones1.gif
It can apparently be fabulous if you move up from just entry level DAC's to a more robust and as a result, more pricey one.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Ok...So I have a Micro Amp and a set of HD650's

Can anyone please explain to me what kind of SQ improvement would a Micro DAC provide?

Everything gets significantly better, IMO. I have the 650s and a McCormack Headphone Amp, and the difference is startling. I listen primarily to lossless encoded music, but even MP3s benefit.

Better dynamics, bass, clarity, and on and on. The word that comes to mind to sum it up is resolution. I feel like I'm hearing deeper into the recordings, and that makes me very happy. And the noise floor is dead silent, which none of my PC sound cards could even come close to.

Once I got the Micro my computer became not only a fantastic headphone listening source, it is now an additional source for my hifi rig. The Micro DAC also improved the sound of my old Cambridge Audio CD4 stand alone CD player.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 19
The MicroDAC was my first good source. I couldn't believe how much better everything sounded. There was so much more separation or "blackness" between the notes. In fact, I had a hard time getting used to it at first. In many of my tracks, I could finally distinguish individual instruments much better, and the music seemed to move much more nimbly. I was having a hard time explaining what it was that I liked so much about it. Tyll summed it up pretty well: welcome to PRAT, or something to the effect. The MicroDAC is what made me realize that my home listening experience didn't have to be a big slurry mess.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallsroad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen that expression a few times around here. What does PRAT stand for?

Pace, Rhythm, and Timing. I think there are lots of arguments out there about what this really means. Basically, I use it to describe that phenomenon when something gets my toe tapping when another piece of gear could not do same. And I readily admit I might be using the term incorrectly.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 19
Pace, Rhythm And Timing. I don't think it's explained well and possibly overused. Now to find that link to the Stereophile glossary...

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pace, Rhythm, and Timing. I think there are lots of arguments out there about what this really means. Basically, I use it to describe that phenomenon when something gets my toe tapping when another piece of gear could not do same. And I readily admit I might be using the term incorrectly.

Ah!

I've seen the expression used many times before, just not abbreviated.

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 19
It sounded so good, it made clear differences in headphone sound signatures.

My HD595, Klipsch X10, HD497, pretty much all sounded similar with a little more bass here and there.

I have an old (05) MicroDAC, and these days I CLEARLY prefer the HD595 because of the fidelity and dynamic range it drew out of this phone. Clearly now I can hear night and day differences between those phones.

IMO, a good source is a more vital component than headphones. Try it and see.

-JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back