Sound got louder after I EQ'ed my headphones, is this a good or a bad thing?
Feb 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jak007

New Head-Fier
So yeah, the topic pretty much says all, after I EQ'ed my XB500's with the Xonar DG settings, the sound got much louder than before. My previous EQ setting was less louder, it's like I put teh volume higher with the new EQ, but which one does indicate the ''better'' EQ? Thanks alot.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
So yeah, the topic pretty much says all, after I EQ'ed my XB500's with the Xonar DG settings, the sound got much louder than before. My previous EQ setting was less louder, it's like I put teh volume higher with the new EQ, but which one does indicate the ''better'' EQ? Thanks alot.

It's louder; it means everything on the EQ was raised up. If you like it better than its good, if you dont then its bad. Generally, there is a point where you can EQ things too far up and the source, headphones, cable, and generally equipment just cant put out the EQ you're asking for (which could be unreasonable if every frequency is +25dB) and seperation will go to ****s and the music will be crap. EQ is a really fragile thing; if you like the new EQ, keep it.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
It's louder; it means everything on the EQ was raised up. If you like it better than its good, if you dont then its bad. Generally, there is a point where you can EQ things too far up and the source, headphones, cable, and generally equipment just cant put out the EQ you're asking for (which could be unreasonable if every frequency is +25dB) and seperation will go to ****s and the music will be crap. EQ is a really fragile thing; if you like the new EQ, keep it.

Some frequences are near -20db like the 150, 500 and 1k the other ones are on top, it kind of looks like a wave. But I believe your saying that the eq should be close to 0 db for the better sound quality right?

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Some frequences are near -20db like the 150, 500 and 1k the other ones are on top, it kind of looks like a wave. But I believe your saying that the eq should be close to 0 db for the better sound quality right?

No I'm not. It's really hard to explain EQs in an effective way to modifying your listening experience to someone brand new to it.

Basicly, turn the EQ flat, all 0 dB. Then back to this new EQ you're saying. You said the 150 was -20dB; that frequency is a high bass, low mid frequency; so listen to the difference in EQs. You're missing bass in this new EQ. 500 and 1k are mid frequencies; which; depending on the music, may be the meat of your music so you may be thinking it's all higher.

Basicly, if it's all 0dB, you're leaving it to your headphones to add their own sound signature to the music; but in that sense, you are getting "the most accurate" reproduction of the music as you arent messing with anything.

But if you're a basshead, midhead, treblehead, or like V-shaped EQs or something else, then messing with the frequency is necessary.

It's hard to explain really.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:

This is completely up to you. In general, if you don't know how to EQ or don't know the difference between a graphic or parametric eq or what the Q is...it's best to leave it alone.

However, if you want to judge it by ear then it's always better to cut and EQ frequency rather than boost it. When I master something, I always cut and only boost in certain rare situations.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
This is completely up to you. In general, if you don't know how to EQ or don't know the difference between a graphic or parametric eq or what the Q is...it's best to leave it alone.

However, if you want to judge it by ear then it's always better to cut and EQ frequency rather than boost it. When I master something, I always cut and only boost in certain rare situations.

This is true. Overboosting leads to clipping which is the plague for sound quality. Generally, EQ is all personal preference; there isnt really a "best quality" to it, just a "you're in the good zone" quality and the "you've gone too far" quality. Dont overboost or overcut and you'll keep your sound quality nice and intact. I rarely ever boost or clip past 10dB on either side, even then that's really extreme, I love my MDR-V6 sound signature and RARELY even use some 2dB boost in some select areas. 90% of the time it's dead flat.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:

This.

Whenever possible, EQ down. (e.g. if you want more bass, lower the mids and the treble, rather than raising the bass). This helps prevent modulation distortion from kicking in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back