Sound engineer, need to retire my old mixing cans
Jun 7, 2020 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Balog

New Head-Fier
I’ve always done live sound engineering in the past. Obviously that’s been on hold with the virus and all. Things are starting to open up again, and I’m considering getting into doing studio mixing or podcasts and such as a new income stream.

I’ve been using a pair of ATH M50’s (the original not the X version) for... 10ish years? They’re just tired and beaten up at this point, and seem to have lost a lot of clarity and extension.

Here’s what I’m looking for in my next pair. Price range is $250 or less.

1. Durability and ruggedness. These aren’t going to be babied. Included in this is being able to replace commonly failing components

2. Isolation. Self explanatory for live use.

3. Comfort. As I’m looking to expand out to recorded work I can see myself wearing them for hours and hours.

4. Impedance that’ll work with all kinds of sources. I don’t want to be tied down to a desk or amp to be able to use them.

5. Neutral and open. Lower on the list as I’m hoping all of the options will be relatively close and as I get to know their quirks I can mix around that.

I’ve been thinking about ATH M50X or DT770s. What else should I be considering?

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 15
DT790 beats most of the DT770s for isolation but that's mostly due to the pleather ear pads.
With that in mind, it's important to know there are many versions of the DT770.

I havn't tried them, but the DT770 32 ohm Pro looks like it uses the same black pleather pads as the DT790 (unlike the more common silver velour pads) and at 32 ohms will be the easiest of the bunch to drive from most sources. So I would put that one high on the list.

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 15
DT150, only drawback being the 250 ohm impedance, but they are strangely easy to drive. I've rebuilt a 10yo pair with original parts, last month.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 15
Mine are very comfortable. I've bought mine second hand (second head?). My headband is wider than what appears to be normal on Beyer's photos, and I believe you can "adjust" the pressure by forcing the headband. Also, no pressure points on the head, the weight is well distributed.

Regarding the earpads, I got the DT100 ones, wich are velour and not pleather.

And they surely can take a beating! Mine were from a musician and were really in poor shape, namely the earpads (all torn up), the headband also, and the cable was less than half of the original size (some acident) and had a nasty 6.3mm jack.

I was able to get all original parts for quite sensible prices and restore it to full functioning order.

Regarding the impedance, the twin brother DT100 has an option of 16 Ohm, but I really think the DT150 are easy to drive with it's 250 Ohm impedance.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 15
Sennheiser HD 25 all the way. Every single part is available to purchase, can be built from spare parts. Tough, sound great, secure on the head, made for broadcast. Aftermarket cables and pads available.

Only thing I wasn't clear on what you wrote. You said isolates well then a bit later you said open.

These sit on the ears and isolate fairly well. They are not open cans. You can't get both isolation and and an open headphone.

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 15
Sennheiser HD 25 all the way. Every single part is available to purchase, can be built from spare parts. Tough, sound great, secure on the head, made for broadcast. Aftermarket cables and pads available.

Only thing I wasn't clear on what you wrote. You said isolates well then a bit later you said open.

These sit on the ears and isolate fairly well. They are not open cans. You can't get both isolation and and an open headphone.

Sorry, by neutral and open I meant that they sound open. I think the technical term for that is like large soundstage or something? Sorry don't have all the terminology down pat.

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 15
Sorry, by neutral and open I meant that they sound open. I think the technical term for that is like large soundstage or something? Sorry don't have all the terminology down pat.

No need to apologize. If not for one word meaning 10 different things, this hobby would be very boring :D

Anyway, yes, the HD 25 is definitely a great value and a great set of cans. Be careful not to buy the SP version though. Normal HD 25s have a split yoke (two piece headband). The SP is easy to identify in that it has one, wider headband.

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 15
I don't think I've ever heard a big soundstage from an on-ear, closed-back headphone. :thinking:

Everything is relative. The question is coming from somebody doing recording of live sound, not an audiophile. My RME shows me the HD 25 is resolving and spacious more than I was aware before that :wink:

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 15
Everything is relative. The question is coming from somebody doing recording of live sound, not an audiophile. My RME shows me the HD 25 is resolving and spacious more than I was aware before that :wink:
But some things are absolute.
The question is still coming from a human being with human ears and you will find it difficult to find anyone who says that closed-back on-ears produce a 'large' soundstage.
I'm not really sure why you're debating the point.

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #12 of 15
But some things are absolute.
The question is still coming from a human being with human ears and you will find it difficult to find anyone who says that closed-back on-ears produce a 'large' soundstage.
I'm not really sure why you're debating the point.

This is not absolute. It has to do with who is asking the question and for what purpose.

I'm not sure why you feel necessary to attempt to nullify other peoples' opinions. If you don't agree you could probably say it without appearing to insult anybody.

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 15
This is not absolute. It has to do with who is asking the question and for what purpose.

I'm not sure why you feel necessary to attempt to nullify other peoples' opinions. If you don't agree you could probably say it without appearing to insult anybody.
I didn't insult anyone.
Please don't feel insulted by my opinions. I'm just having a discussion.

I merely disagree with the point that an on-ear closed-back can have a spacious soundstage.
I think you would also agree that over-ear headphones generally produce a larger soundstage than on-ear headphones, which is why I questioned your intention for arguing the point. Again, no insult here. I'm genuinely curious.

No doubt there are psycho-acoustic effects involved that are unique to every individual and their experiences will differ from everyone elses, especially when going from one specific headphone to another.
I think going from an ATH-M50, to the HD25 will result in the feeling of a smaller soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back