Sound differences between the ATH M50 black and white models?
Jan 1, 2013 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Neighbor808

New Head-Fier
I have been a lurker of the forums and am making my first step into the world of quality headphones. I wasn't sure whether to post this in full-sized headphone forum or portable, as I've seen these classified as both. Sorry about being a noob :/. Now, to get to the point, after researching a LOT about good headphones in the $100-$150 price range, I settled on the ATH M50. I wasn't hooked into these cans immediately and without question despite majorly glowing reviews. After reading up on most competition, I have decided on these over many competing Grado, Shure, and V-Moda models. I then decided between cables, I chose coiled because I prefer the portability, an 11' cord is not desirable in any respect. I decided that I liked the look of the white model better, but but rumors were floating around that it lacked a little in low end compared to the black model, but makes up for it in the highs? I am a person who is geared towards bass since it caters to my tastes and music choices the most. Is this fact or is it myth? Despite me liking the style of the white more, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the original black model if these rumors are true. By the way, does the white model easily get dirty and become stained and scratched quite quickly? This would also heavily effect my purchase. Another thing, while I'm almost set in stone for the ATH M50, how do V-Moda M80s size up to these? This would be my final comparison. Thanks a lot!

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 6
I have tried my friend's M50. A/B-ing white and black versions and I couldn't tell the difference in sound.

Since they're not mine so I couldn't tell you if it will be easily stained or how tough they are. But from what I saw, I haven't seen any stain or scratches on it(My friend really took cares of it very well). If you are someone who takes time to clean them up, It should be good.

Never saw real M-80 before, so can't answer that.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 6
lol, don't worry they sound the same. :smile: It's the same driver, same sound no matter which colour you choose. Those people is just placebo. Take the white ones and be happy. If it becomes a concern you can wear a piece of dark clothing to compensate and level out the signature.

Jan 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for responses :). If white doesn't sound much different and won't wear quickly with a bit of care, then I will go for them. Despite this, I'm still afraid of it greying and wearing at a quicker rate regardless of what I do. I will be taking it to school and outside sometimes so that could be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back