Sound card upgrade?
Aug 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #31 of 133
HT OMEGA. Either the Claro+ or the Halo. I have compared ALL of the following with my trusty AH-D2000's: Audigy2, Prelude, EMU 0404 and the two Omega's. I went with the Halo and I am done looking for a a PC based source. The only way I'll stop using the Halo is if PCI slots go the way of the ISA slot. Superb for gaming, movies and of course music.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #32 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gainiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!
Im in same situation, having Asus' motherboard with Realtek HD audio and now looking for upgrade. My "sound-route" is Realtek->Coaxial s/pdif->Harman/Kardon AVR 1550->AKG K601. Because AKGs are quite "hungry", I need to set all mixers to 100% in Windows to get enough power out.

So, I'm looking for some soundcard (with coaxial output) to get more sound without having mixers on 100% and maybe a bit better quality too.

Are you planning on still using the receiver in this system? Such as getting card with a built in headphone amplifier and using digital to the receiver for possibly speakers and using the cards headphone amplifier for your cans?
You could also go with a card and external amplifier or a card->DAC/heapdheons amplifier. There are many ways you can go but your needs, wants and budget should help you decide which way is the best for you.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #33 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you planning on still using the receiver in this system? Such as getting card with a built in headphone amplifier and using digital to the receiver for possibly speakers and using the cards headphone amplifier for your cans?
You could also go with a card and external amplifier or a card->DAC/heapdheons amplifier. There are many ways you can go but your needs, wants and budget should help you decide which way is the best for you.

Card+headphones amp for cans and digital to the receiver would work (running 5.1 set).
I have case with door (antec p182b) so cant use front-panel I/Os and I'm too lazy to hustle behind the computer every time I take cans to stand or plug they in.

Even only card + receiver would give better result than I'm having now, I think.

I'm looking for <200e card and ready to use another <200e for headphone amp.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #35 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gainiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Card+headphones amp for cans and digital to the receiver would work (running 5.1 set).
I have case with door (antec p182b) so cant use front-panel I/Os and I'm too lazy to hustle behind the computer every time I take cans to stand or plug they in.

Even only card + receiver would give better result than I'm having now, I think.

I'm looking for <200e card and ready to use another <200e for headphone amp.

Are you into DIY? -such as the DIY head amplifier kits kicking around?

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #38 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good for you! but its IMD measurements are worse than a Realtek mobo chip: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5910871-post23.html

I would not advise this card to anyone..

My card is not plugged into an oscilloscope so I could care less about IMD. OP should not discount this card based on some inaudible spec. My card sounds great and no I do not hear any distortion. If you hear distortion with this card then maybe your rig is jacked up or you have some serious noise issues in your box.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He likes the card, quit being a troll.

Thanks bro!

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #39 of 133
well, that's not the point. any soundcard these days will make you happy....even an X-Fi.

the point is that it measures very poorly in the inter-modulation distortion department. prolly only an A/B comparison against a better card would make it audible.

I don't see what being a troll has to do w/ posting RMAA measurements, but it's the king of goblins who told me so...so I'm flattered
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #40 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, that's not the point. any soundcard these days will make you happy....even an X-Fi.

the point is that it measures very poorly in the inter-modulation distortion department. prolly only an A/B comparison against a better card would make it audible.

I don't see what being a troll has to do w/ posting RMAA measurements, but it's the king of goblins who told me so...so I'm flattered
beerchug.gif

Your being a troll because other people were talking about something totally different then you come in and say some troll comment to start argument. That is being a troll. Grow up a bit. Then you post this which is just more trolling. Try contriubting something positive to a conversation for a change?

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #41 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfreight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My card is not plugged into an oscilloscope so I could care less about IMD. OP should not discount this card based on some inaudible spec. My card sounds great and no I do not hear any distortion. If you hear distortion with this card then maybe your rig is jacked up or you have some serious noise issues in your box.

Thanks bro!

No worries. The guy like to ruin threads with foolish comments such as what he posted. Enjoy your card.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #43 of 133
<Hawky is re-claiming his thread>

Movies.
*5.1 Dolby surround sound capable
Edit.
Well, my mother uses the PC for her classical 5.1 DVDs whenever I'm not on with my music and gaming. She can go for hours, 10hours at a time too. So we're both wanting a shared card that meets both needs.

Music
*Usually an hour to three hours when feeling like it (sometimes more) of normal music in winamp.

Gaming for several hours (5hours+).
*5.1 surround sound on older games
*7.1 surround sound on newer games.
*EAX (or similar feature)

Specs.
*Windows Vista SP 2
*3GB RAM
*Intel core 2 duo 3.00ghz
The Audio I'm using now.
*Onboard Realtek HD Audio

Obviously, I'm using headphones and not individual speakers. So virtual surround sound is going to be used.

Audio equipment being used.
Output.
*Sennheiser HD555
Input
*clip-on Zalman mic.

===============================
*Auzentech prelude
*Auzentech Forte
*ASUS Xonar D2X
*ASUS Xonar DS
Which would best meet my needs?

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #44 of 133
Here is some more info if it helps to perceive my needs.
I use the PC for movies(5.1 DVDs), listening music(Winamp) and playing games (FPS).
Depending on time and vibe, I'm using either HT or headphones.

And to repeat myself, I'm looking for soundcard where I can connect headphone amp(looking for this one too) and coaxial s/pdif for receiver, ready to use <200 for each.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #45 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by xHawky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*Auzentech prelude
*Auzentech Forte
*ASUS Xonar D2X
*ASUS Xonar DS
Which would best meet my needs?

Discount the Xonar DS entirely, due to lack of headphone virtualisation.

The Xonar D2X would do the job and comes with the multichannel version of PowerDVD bundled. EAX support isn't quite as good as the X-Fis though. If you already have a 5.1 version of PowerDVD, you could get the Xonar D1 or DX. They have headphone virtualisation and are cheaper.

I dont' think either X-Fi card decodes Dolby Digital and don't include DVD software. If you have some 5.1 DVD software they'll be OK. They're somewhat better for gaming, but I prefer Dolby Headphone on Xonar to CMSS-3D on X-Fi. You may find that CMSS-3D has better synergy with HD555s though.

Unless you're very fussy about gaming audio, I say Xonar D2X (or D1/DX if you don't need the bundled software).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back