Sound card to receiver through optical TOSLINK
Sep 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ericeng91

New Head-Fier
Hi all, this is my first post here, and I really hope I'm not bringing up a repeatedly talked about subject.  One of the last helpful posts I found about this subject was from 2007 and that was connected to a DAC instead.

However, I wanted to know if anything different was required for a receiver, and what cards I should be looking at.  I originally saw the HT Omega Claro Halo which looks very interesting as well as the renowned Xonar Essence.  However, are they more geared towards gaming?  I looked at the ESI Juli@, but don't really know what to look at and compare.

Basically here is my story.
I have now have:  Marantz NR-1402 receiver, Bowers & Wilkins 686B bookshelfs, and a BIC America F12 subwoofer for a 2.1 system for my computer.  And I already have a quality optical TOSLINK cable, which I thought was going to be connected to my original card.  An Auzentech, however, I needed an adapter.  That adapter still hasn't shipped in over 2 weeks, so I'm sick of waiting and the company and hope to get a new sound card since it is due for an update anyways.

So I'm open to suggestions, however I would definitely love to keep the price below 200 USD if possible.

Thanks guys!

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 22
And if it makes any difference, my use for the card will mainly be for music and movies, though I do play PC games on occasion. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 22
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used $50.
Comes with Dolby, like Dolby Headphone surround sound.
You can connect with optical and analog 2-channel (3.5mm to RCA).
Use the Marantz's headphone jack for headphones.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 22
Thanks for the quick reply PurpleAngel.  I do have another question though.  Are there adapters out there for RCA (optical) to TOSLINK?  I see a lot of these types but only for analog signal.  Or I may be mistaken.  And is there different levels of quality for these adapters if they exist?  I wouldn't want my bottle neck to be a cheap-o adapter.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply PurpleAngel.  I do have another question though.  Are there adapters out there for RCA (optical) to TOSLINK?  I see a lot of these types but only for analog signal.  Or I may be mistaken.  And is there different levels of quality for these adapters if they exist?  I wouldn't want my bottle neck to be a cheap-o adapter.

There are two types of S/PDIF (digital) connections, optical Toslink (light) and coaxial (electrical), coaxial is a single RCA connector.
And two matching RCA connectors (Red/white) are analog (electrical).
There are USB/optical converters, which cost a lot of cash, I'm guessing way more cash then what most people (and you) would spend.
Connecting Sound card (Xonar DX) to receiver (Marantz) using optical cable, would have you using the Marantz's DACs (Digital to Analog Converter).
Connecting the Xonar DX to the Marantz using 3.5mm to RCA (analog) cable, would have you using the Xonar DX's DAC.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

The NR1402 has a coaxial audio input, so you should not need any adapters. The connector is just next to the Toslink input.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 22
Ok, so I know this completely derails from the original subject, but I have now switched to the digital coax.  However, I can't get ANY sound at all to come out of my soundcard when using that.  

The only way I have achieved sound so far is through 3.5mm to RCA.  And I am led to believe that using these are far inferior to the digital coax (may or maynot be correct.  I don't know).  

Anyways, anyone have tips?  I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers to my sound card.  I've gone into the hardware & sound section and turned my soundcard's S/PDIF output as default and windows registers sound coming out.  However, no luck on the receiver end.  And I was plugging the digital coax into the spot next to the optical that PleasantSounds is referring to.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
Ok, so I know this completely derails from the original subject, but I have now switched to the digital coax.  However, I can't get ANY sound at all to come out of my soundcard when using that.  
The only way I have achieved sound so far is through 3.5mm to RCA.  And I am led to believe that using these are far inferior to the digital coax (may or may not be correct.  I don't know).  
Anyways, anyone have tips?  I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers to my sound card.  I've gone into the hardware & sound section and turned my sound card's S/PDIF output as default and windows registers sound coming out.  However, no luck on the receiver end.  And I was plugging the digital coax into the spot next to the optical that PleasantSounds is referring to.

Might help to know which Auzentech sound card you have? (they do make more then one).
Is the motherboard's on-board audio turned off, in the bios?
The coaxial cable is connected to the sound card (might be one of two connectors) and not one built into the motherboard.
In windows control panel, under "Sound", in the playback tab, the "Speaker Auentech" should be the default, not the S/PDIF.
S/PDIF should only be enabled the the "Auzentech control panel".
3,5mm to RCA verses digital coax, it really depend on which has the better DAC chip (sound card vs. Marantz)

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 22
It is the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude.  

And thanks for the tips.  It is a little late in the night to do this, so I will wait until tomorrow to try this.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 22
Go into the Audio Control Panel (or Console Launcher and click the Options button), open the SPDIF I/O tab, and check "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output". Make sure the default audio device is set to Speakers, NOT SPDIF Out.

That should take care of your issues.

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 22
Idont have any option button, but i do see a spdif i/o tab. However, everything in there (2 drop down menus) are unable to be selected.

I see the instructions from the help menu (same as Nameless's), however I do not have a "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output" box to check. The only thing I have is Enable Bit-Matching Recording, which is probably for S/PDIF in rather than out.

The only way that I could possibly see working right now is using Dolby Digital (in the Encoder tab) and in there is an option to use SPDIF Out for output section and it tells me to use "Speakers (Auzen X-Fi.......)" so that makes sense. However, it still doesn't create any sound and Dolby is no longer an option when I try to disable the SPDIF out option in Windows despite not being related... So i'm confused

If this makes it easier, this is what is says (i can't attach images so i'll just type)

Output Selection:

[drop down menu] SPDIF Out (Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1) <- only option in dropdown menu

The above device will be exclusively used by Dolby Digital Live.

To enjoy Dolby Digital Live, ensure that you select this playback
device:

Speakers (Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1)

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #12 of 22
Well, while I'm trying to figure out how to use S/PDIF out, how should I be setting up my speakers?

Currently, I have them set as so
Speakers: Small
Bass Mode: LFE+Main
Crossover: 80Hz

and I let Audyssey do all the initial stuff and have been playing around with things afterwards.  
I heard setting speakers to large were better, but seeing as I have bookshelves, I'm not quite sure what to do.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #13 of 22
So out of no where, I found out that my motherboard has a PCI bracket with 2 connections - SPDIF (looks to be optical) and one labeled RCA.  Is RCA and SPDIF the same or is RCA analog?  Also, if I decide to run through the motherboard rather than through my soundcard, I wouldn't notice a difference correct?  Since I'm letting the receiver's DAC take care of everything, a digital signal is the same as any other digital signal (?).

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
So out of no where, I found out that my motherboard has a PCI bracket with 2 connections - SPDIF (looks to be optical) and one labeled RCA.  Is RCA and SPDIF the same or is RCA analog?  Also, if I decide to run through the motherboard rather than through my sound card, I wouldn't notice a difference correct?  Since I'm letting the receiver's DAC take care of everything, a digital signal is the same as any other digital signal (?).

I single "RCA" connecter usually means S/PDIF coaxial digital audio.
Analog RCA is two RCA connectors (red/white) next to each other.

Normally 2-channel PCM audio is sent thru S/PDIF (optical & coaxial), which if fine if your sending to a receiver for 2.1 speaker or listening to 2.0 stereo audio with headphones.
The receiver should be able to change 2.0 channel audio to 2.1 speaker audio
If your motherboard has something like DDL (Dolby Digital Live) you can send compressed 5.1 (6-channel audio) thru the S/PDIF.
So does your motherboard's on-board audio come with DDL? (maybe you have no need for compressed 5.1?).

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
Idont have any option button, but i do see a spdif i/o tab. However, everything in there (2 drop down menus) are unable to be selected.
I see the instructions from the help menu (same as Nameless's), however I do not have a "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output" box to check. The only thing I have is Enable Bit-Matching Recording, which is probably for S/PDIF in rather than out.

...Wait a minute. The only place you should be seeing the "Enable Bit-Matched Recording" checkbox is the Bit-Matched tab. The SPDIF I/O tab clearly has a "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output" box...

...oh, wait, I get it. My directions were for the "Audio Control Panel", but the Settings button in the "Console Launcher" arranges things COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY to the point where the option in question is under a previously unseen "Digital I/O" tab. Creative needs to learn a thing or two about UI consistency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back