Sound card or USB DAC?
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

netmask254

Head-Fier
I was going to buy an ASUS Essence STX for my desktop, however I found some USB DAC such like FIIO E17 (at the similar price range) is also attractive since I use laptop sometimes. Not sure whether they can compete with each other, for listening music purpose only.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 5
I prefer the sound of the STX over my E17, but not dramatically so. Since the E17 would also be useful to you for its portable capabilities with your laptop, I would go with the E17 in your situation. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I was going to buy an ASUS Essence STX for my desktop, however I found some USB DAC such like FIIO E17 (at the similar price range) is also attractive since I use laptop sometimes. Not sure whether they can compete with each other, for listening music purpose only.

Sound quality wise you will not be able to tell the difference. I'd pick whichever one is more convenient (which seems to be the E17 here). Price should also be a factor. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

The Fiio E17 would be the better pick for headphones between 16-Ohms and 60-Ohms, from 60-Ohms to 250-Ohm they are roughly equal.
As you need something to work with the laptop anyway, seems the Fiio E17 is the better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back