sound card or DAC upgrade for k701 and matrix m stage
Dec 19, 2011 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

EinZweiDrei

500+ Head-Fier
im currently using a asus xonar dx sound card for music.
is the xonar dx good enough for the k701 + matrix m stage, or should i get a new sound card or DAC.
if so what is the cheapest DAC that will sound good with the k701 + matrix m stage combo?

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 22

Quote:
Heya,

Is something not sounding good or right that is causing you want to want to get a new source?

What's your budget?

Very best,

hi again.
nope everything seems fine but before i blow out my cash on a k701 and matrix m stage,
i want to make sure i have a good source for my next purchase, if not i'll get a new source along with my next purchase.
planning to get everything set at once. so is the xonar dx a good enough source for my next purchase?
if not, my budget is around $100 for a new source.

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
hi again.
nope everything seems fine but before i blow out my cash on a k701 and matrix m stage,
i want to make sure i have a good source for my next purchase, if not i'll get a new source along with my next purchase.
planning to get everything set at once. so is the xonar dx a good enough source for my next purchase?
if not, my budget is around $100 for a new source.

Are you getting the Matrix M Stage with the USB input?

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
i dont think the matrix m stage has any usb inputs.

Yes, the latest M Stage has a USB input.
I have an older one(only five months old!), before the USB input, but by all reports the USB input is quite good sounding.
Try looking in the big Matrix M Stage thread.

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
Yes, the latest M Stage has a USB input.
I have an older one(only five months old!), before the USB input, but by all reports the USB input is quite good sounding.
Try looking in the big Matrix M Stage thread.

is there a reason to get one with the usb input as oppose to the one without?
so far im probably getting the old one.

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
is there a reason to get one with the usb input as oppose to the one without?
so far im probably getting the old one.

Well the USB input adds about $25-30 to the cost so why not?
If I had a choice I would get the USB version................just my opinion..........
wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
my current source is my xonar dx sound card on my PC
should i worry about my current source or is it fine with the matrix m stage + k701

Sorry, I don't know much about that soundcard.
Actually I don't have much experience with soundcards at all, but some folks believe that an outboard DAC sounds better than a DAC located in a PC

You could get the M Stage with USB and see what you prefer:
the soundcard analog output from the Soundcard or USB from your PC to the USB input on the M Stage.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 22

Keep the sound card.

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 22
My DT770 Pro 80-Ohm sounded fine on my Asus Xonar DX.
The AKG K701 are 62-Ohm.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 22
just got my m stage and k701
so far with my sound card and amp, the k701 sounded like my ad700 except that it sounded more natural, faster,
smoother, less sparkly, more accurate positioning, better separation, smaller but more natural sound stage, slightly more bass. so far im liking it, but it feels somewhat lacking.
these are the results when i compared it to my ad700 with same sound card and amp.

will a better DAC be necessary or just wait for burn in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back