Sound card is necessary? HD 600 Hd 650 Modi Magni combo
Jul 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

latte4ever

New Head-Fier
I was thinking about going big and buying either Sennheiser Hd 600 or 650 with modi+ Magni combo. Then i realized that the sound card on my computer is just a default one that came with my mother board. According to system information, all i am able to pull out is that i have a realtek definition audio. I don't want to buy the cans and realize my sound card won't produce the proper sound that i need. What should i do? Please help! I just want to finally do something that i've wanted to do like listening to quality music. Thanks.

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 13
Hey,

Would've been better to post over here: http://www.head-fi.org/f/7840/introductions-help-and-recommendations but whatever :) Forget about your (onboard) soundcard. Modi will be your new soundcard but now external. All you need is a USB cable to connect your computer to Modi and some RCA cables to connect Modi to Magni. Plug headphones and you're good.

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Can you recommend some cables? Sorry i am very noob at the audiophile world.

If your really want an upgraded cable, I recommend Q Audio(very nice silk cables.)

Jul 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
I was thinking about going big and buying either Sennheiser Hd 600 or 650 with Modi+ Magni combo. Then i realized that the sound card on my computer is just a default one that came with my mother board. According to system information, all i am able to pull out is that i have a Realtek definition audio. I don't want to buy the cans and realize my sound card won't produce the proper sound that I need. What should i do? Please help! I just want to finally do something that i've wanted to do like listening to quality music. Thanks.

Connecting a USB DAC (Modi) to the computer will bypass motherboard's built in sound card surround sound features for movies or games, but the Modi will provide great 2-channel stereo audio for music, movies and gaming.

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Can you recommend some cables? Sorry i am very noob at the audiophile world.

Had I been in your position I'd seriously consider the Schiit PYST cables. Check out this thread to get a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Would PYST cost too much go for something generic aka cheapest you can find. There's always the upgrade path later on.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 13
Had I been in your position I'd seriously consider the Schiit PYST cables. Check out this thread to get a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Would PYST cost too much go for something generic aka cheapest you can find. There's always the upgrade path later on.

Just buy a cheap generic Usb cable. I really doubt you'll notice a difference between the Schiit RCA cables and cheaper ones, but outs up too you. Hd600s sound great with the magni/modi, awesome for the price.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
U.S.A lol. i figured it out, thanks. Also, do you know if modi/magni and also the headset come with cables or do i have to buy separate ones?

I'm not sure what Schiit hardware comes with, but at Monoprice, they sell low cost "Premium" cables.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back