Sound Card, audio TOO LOUD, can it also influence sound quality?
Feb 3, 2015 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

itsDanny

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I made the investment in the ZxR soundcard a long while ago, and only have decided to see if there are any solutions to this and/or if this is normal.

I cannot set my Windows volume (which is also controlled or dictated by the ZxR's software volume control as well) to 100%, simply because it is too loud (deafening almost, and to the extent that I believe would blow up my equipment).

I have read that setting the volume too low at the software level can cause clipping and a reduced dynamic range and SnR ratio.
Could this be why I have not felt a significant difference in sound quality when I changed from onboard to the ZxR soundcard?

Or is everyone else who has this sound card (or its variants, or any other sound card) has no problem in setting it to 100%, without causing any issues in terms of audibility?

If I set it too 100%, I believe my headphones would literally explode. It is intolerable, even at 30%, and I would say my ears have been exposed to the extremes, but even at 30% it is A LOT. That is the only reason why I will not set it too 100%. Also, if I do so, the speaker knob volume control would only go up a notch or two and the volume would be already too loud. I am also afraid that if I have guests over, they will accidentally turn the knob even half way, and that could cause serious problems not only to their ears, but potentially be detrimental to the life of my speakers.

Does any one have any suggestions or is what I am experiencing completely normal when using a sound card?

Thank you.

Cheers,

P.S.
Headphones -> M50X
Speakers -> Audioengine A5s

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 4
When you installed the SB-ZxR, did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS?
Technically, for best audio quality, you would want to get the SB-ZxR volume as high as possible (75% or higher), before sending the audio signal to the speakers and then adjust the volume using the speaker's volume knob (starting off with the speaker's volume control on very low).
But because you also use headphones plugged into the SB-ZxR, you have to use the SB-ZxR at a lower volume setting (like 35%?).
So you really have to leave the speaker's volume setting at something under 50% and just do all volume adjusts with the SB-ZxR's main volume control (guess the windows volume control and SB-ZxR's volume control are locked together?).

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 4
That's perfectly normal. On my SBZ with SR125e headphones I only need about 20% on the windows volume slider.

Low software volume level don't cause clipping, high level does (high meaning >100%). A low volume level can reduce the dynamic range, but unless you can hear the noise floor it doesn't really matter. Your card supposedly has 124dB of dynamic range, so at 30% volume which equals -18.2dB, the noise floor would be increased to -105.8dB. The 124dB figure is probably optimistic, but you would struggle to hear even a noise floor of -80dB, so I think it should not be audible for you.

Also, I'm not even sure if the windows volume control does work like a software volume control on these soundblaster cards. It might actually be adjusting the reference voltage for the DAC, rather than reducing the volume in the audio data. My reasons for this suspicion is that changing the windows volume does not affect the output of the "What U Hear" recording device, and the windows volume still affects the loudness when using ASIO or WASAPI modes. I could be completely wrong on this though.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 4
  When you installed the SB-ZxR, did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS?
Technically, for best audio quality, you would want to get the SB-ZxR volume as high as possible (75% or higher), before sending the audio signal to the speakers and then adjust the volume using the speaker's volume knob (starting off with the speaker's volume control on very low).
But because you also use headphones plugged into the SB-ZxR, you have to use the SB-ZxR at a lower volume setting (like 35%?).
So you really have to leave the speaker's volume setting at something under 50% and just do all volume adjusts with the SB-ZxR's main volume control (guess the windows volume control and SB-ZxR's volume control are locked together?).

I believe I did disable it; fairly certain.
Yeah that was what I was going to do, however I thought that would influence the optimal sound quality I could have (at say 100% volume), by under-compensating the volume in order for it to be suitable for both speaker and headphone usage. I suppose there is no other way.

Quote:
  That's perfectly normal. On my SBZ with SR125e headphones I only need about 20% on the windows volume slider.

Low software volume level don't cause clipping, high level does (high meaning >100%). A low volume level can reduce the dynamic range, but unless you can hear the noise floor it doesn't really matter. Your card supposedly has 124dB of dynamic range, so at 30% volume which equals -18.2dB, the noise floor would be increased to -105.8dB. The 124dB figure is probably optimistic, but you would struggle to hear even a noise floor of -80dB, so I think it should not be audible for you.

Also, I'm not even sure if the windows volume control does work like a software volume control on these soundblaster cards. It might actually be adjusting the reference voltage for the DAC, rather than reducing the volume in the audio data. My reasons for this suspicion is that changing the windows volume does not affect the output of the "What U Hear" recording device, and the windows volume still affects the loudness when using ASIO or WASAPI modes. I could be completely wrong on this though.

Okay great. I suppose I will leave it as is. I am just worried I am not attaining the best sound quality possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back