sound card ---> amp ---> headphones?
Nov 15, 2006 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Darkestred

1000+ Head-Fier
Forgive me guys, I couldnt find this answer in this section of the forum and if it is i was a bit impatient going through the 10 pages to find it.

The computer is my main area when listening to music. But, i want to get the best possible sound for my budget (500+).

Is it possible to use an amp such as a dot micro, go-vibe, a bada ph12 (this one more specifically) etc etc to power the signal from the computer to my headphones?

If this is possible would a DAC have to be involved?

and if this route is possible aside from noise, static etc, would the sound be equal to that of a good receiver or other source?

thanks

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkestred
Is it possible to use an amp such as a dot micro, go-vibe, a bada ph12 (this one more specifically) etc etc to power the signal from the computer to my headphones?

yes

Quote:

If this is possible would a DAC have to be involved?

yes (your soundcard has a DAC)

Quote:

and if this route is possible aside from noise, static etc, would the sound be equal to that of a good receiver or other source?

sorry but this is so vague as to be meaningless

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 5
Yes, you can do that. Unfortunately, it is generally not considered to be a quality source. Your computer kicks off a lot of noise (mechanical, electrical and RF) that usually winds up in your soundcard. This isn't always noticeable with consumer grade speakers and headphones, but you'll absolutely hear it with better equipment. Another drawback is that consumer grade soundcards don't have quality DACs and other components, which hurt the sound.

There are a few ways around this. Mostly, by using an external DAC. Personally, I like TOSLINK out. it's optical, so the cable out cannot pick up stray RF and other electrical nasties that coax can. You can also use USB, but that has the same drawback. This point gets argued, however, but any of the three is OK for getting a digital signal out.

For $470, take a close look at the Corda Aria. It has an internal DAC and Dr. Meier makes good products. This would be a good bet.

Another all-in-one solution is the PreSonus Central Station. You can get a refurb for $400. I have one of these, and am very pleased with the DAC and headphone section. It's a good choice if you also have a stereo, since it has a top shelf passive preamp, too. Take a look at the thread here about it.

If you'd like to go separate, look at the SilverStone EB-01 USB DAC. It's $90 and sounds good- I bought one for a family member last June and he loves his. From there, you could add a bunch of amps under $400. Off the top of my head, the HeadFive, Gilmore Lite, Bottlehead S.E.X. and Mapletree Ear Purist would fit the bill.

Anyhow, I'd recommend going the extra mile of an external DAC and amp. You'll be very happy with the results.

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
If you'd like to go separate, look at the SilverStone EB-01 USB DAC. It's $90 and sounds good- I bought one for a family member last June and he loves his. From there, you could add a bunch of amps under $400. Off the top of my head, the HeadFive, Gilmore Lite, Bottlehead S.E.X. and Mapletree Ear Purist would fit the bill.

this is interesting...ive been looking at external USB DACs as well to go with my setup in my sig.

if i use a USB DAC i can get rid of the A2ZS from the PC right?

i checked out the Silverstone EB01 and it seems to my n00bish eyes that its running on 16bit. any other DACs that runs at 24bit around the same price (cheaper os of course much better
biggrin.gif
)? and where can i get them (prefer a site with shipping to malaysia.

theres no optical out on my mobo and im not sure about the A2ZS. so i guess USB is the way to go for me.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back