Sound Blaster Z Too... Quiet?!
Jan 5, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #16 of 21
  I've read many a forum post about the Sound Blaster Z being way too loud with low impedance headphones. I'm using it with the Q701 (62 Ohms), and it almost seems too quiet. I'm listening at 100% volume, and it's still within the upper limit of my comfortable listening range. I really don't think that I'm making myself go deaf. I'm fine listening to music at near 100%, but my only concern is that listening at that high of a system volume will somehow distort the music. Increasing the preamp in the equalizer increases the volume, but again, I'm not sure if this is distorting the music. I re-installed the drivers and disabled the onboard audio just to be safe. Any ideas? Am I going to make myself go deaf?

you use a SB-Z whit low impedance hp ?
and you have low volume ?

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #18 of 21
Like the other guy said Z card or headphone is defect:
Still is right, if your on-board sound is disabled (Plus drivers up to date) and the card is doing that then it is a defective card. I have the exact setup as you with the K612 pros and Sound Blaster Z. It pushes the K612s easily.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-1-4-2015-beyerdynamic-t70-added/28155#post_11192488

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 21
Dont you have other earbuds/ 32ohms headphones to test?

You will need a real headamp to drive the high 120 Ohms K612.
Sound blasters has weak amp designed to drive 32 Ohms phones despite able to drive 600 Ohms, yeah it can gives weak sound and thats it.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #20 of 21
Dont you have other earbuds/ 32ohms headphones to test?

You will need a real headamp to drive the high 120 Ohms K612.
Sound blasters has weak amp designed to drive 32 Ohms phones despite able to drive 600 Ohms, yeah it can gives weak sound and thats it.

Could you please suggest a headamp (within reasonable $$$'s)

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #21 of 21
Sorry I dont know about other better headamp. My best headamp is an old hybrid tube Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 to drive 70 Ohms SONY SA5000 perfectly.

You'll have to look at the headamp threads for advice and get a real powerful big headamp with own mains powersupply.
Those small popular "portable" usb or battery powered headamps can be samey SQ and as weak as the soundblasters useless for above 32+ high impedance headphones.
Ask someone with K612 experience and have headamp for it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=head+amp+for+akg+K612

Users who are viewing this thread

Back