Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Jan 11, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #331 of 348
  Sorry, I didn't mention that I've been having other issues with it.

One of the issues is that if the input device doesn't output any audio for a while, the devices goes to sleep in some kind of way, such that even when I resume playing audio, the X7 doesn't produce any. I have to power cycle the device multiple times to fix this. Also, when I first power on the X7, it does not recognize any inputs on the first try. I have to power cycle the X7 literally about five times for it to recognize inputs and produce audio to the headphones. This happens irrespective of input, SPDIF, Bluetooth, USB, etc.

I was having intermittent issues like this from day one. But at first it would only take a couple of tries to get it working, and most of the time it would work fine on the first try. I thought firmware updates would make it better, but the performance of my X7 honestly hasn't gotten any better and in some ways has degraded; I don't know if the firmware has anything to do with that or not.

In addition to those problems, I get a weird static issue when using Bluetooth. It's odd, if I play something at low volume, the amount of background static can overwhelm everything else. Then if I turn the volume way up, and then back down, the static goes away for a bit. This could be my fault in some kind of way, some kind of interference? But it's also an issue that I don't recall being present when I originally got the X7.

It's gotten to the point where between those issues and the USB port, I am ready to just count it as a loss and try something else. What I wanted was one device that would work for everything: watching movies/tv, playing consoles, playing PC games, listening to music. I've had it for two years and when I can get the thing to work it's great at that but the power-on issues and sleep issues make it a chore to use. I don't use it for music anymore because it's easier to just plug my headphones into my computer than it is to fight with my X7.

The fact that no one is really mentioning these kinds of issues makes me think my X7 is defective. I'll never really know for certain especially since I can't even pay Creative to look at it. (I mentioned all of these issues in my support request.) I hope everyone else has a better experience with it than I have.

I'm not even sure how to sell it. Describing an eBay listing with "has a loose USB port and issues with powering on" sounds like it'll get me about $25.

That's really bad luck, I'm so sorry to hear about that. Hopefully you'll be able to find an electronics repairer nearly who won't charge you an arm and a leg to look through your X7 and fix the problem areas...

:frowning2:

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #332 of 348
^ I agree, good beginner combo!

The X7's EQ is a really good EQ implementation. Push a bar up to make particular frequencies/pitch notes be louder, or lower than the mid-point to make that freq quieter. Some people try to compensate for the sound of a headphone to make it more "flat" and balanced across the spectrum (a little more bass & sub bass might be nice with your HD598), while others just use it for adding flavor. In any case, the X7's EQ is a safe playground because it prevents something from playing too loud and clipping, so you can experiment to your heart's content!

I think easier to drive speakers function better... I wish I had the upgraded power supply for my Chane speakers because they seem to need more "oomph," but I would recommend the Polk monitor speakers even with the standard power supply or E-MU monitors as good mates with the X7, maybe the Audioengine monitor speakers just based on reviews (haven't heard the Audioengine myself).

First of all, thank you a lot for your response.

About the EQ I had a little understanding of how things work (but your explanation was well-accepted anyway), I've just never done some real practice with it before, so I was trying to understand if there is a "right" way to do that. You gave me a good solution, after all the right way is the one that better suits my tastes, and so experimenting by myself seems the best thing to do. 

Coming to the speakers: my first choice were the E-MUs, but the alternatives you provided me are interesting, I'll look more into those. I also found a couple of Denon SC-M40 at around 150€, so them being really cheap, but I don't know how they perform. Then there are the Q Acoustics 3020 at 280€, which seem pretty well-regarded. For reference I can buy a pair of Polk TSx110B for 265€. I don't necessarily want the cheapest solution, I'd like to have a decent pair of speakers that can do well in a living room, as I use my Sound Blaster primarily with a PS4.

I have a last, maybe dumb, doubt: is the Sound Blaster capable of reproducing DTS audio with the PS4?  

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #333 of 348
First of all, thank you a lot for your response.

About the EQ I had a little understanding of how things work (but your explanation was well-accepted anyway), I've just never done some real practice with it before, so I was trying to understand if there is a "right" way to do that. You gave me a good solution, after all the right way is the one that better suits my tastes, and so experimenting by myself seems the best thing to do. 

Coming to the speakers: my first choice were the E-MUs, but the alternatives you provided me are interesting, I'll look more into those. I also found a couple of Denon SC-M40 at around 150€, so them being really cheap, but I don't know how they perform. Then there are the Q Acoustics 3020 at 280€, which seem pretty well-regarded. For reference I can buy a pair of Polk TSx110B for 265€. I don't necessarily want the cheapest solution, I'd like to have a decent pair of speakers that can do well in a living room, as I use my Sound Blaster primarily with a PS4.

I have a last, maybe dumb, doubt: is the Sound Blaster capable of reproducing DTS audio with the PS4?  

Also take a look at the RBH R5Bis, the Ascend Acoustics CBM170SE, and the philharmonic AAs.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #335 of 348
I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with my X7. First, I was getting static in the right channel. Now, the static persists, and I'm getting no audio out of the left channel. I tried different headphones and swapped cables.

Any suggestions?

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #336 of 348
I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with my X7. First, I was getting static in the right channel. Now, the static persists, and I'm getting no audio out of the left channel. I tried different headphones and swapped cables.

Any suggestions?

Swap opamps from left to right and see if the problem moves. DO NOT swap op-amps from front to back.

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #339 of 348
So this is my current configuration that's showing issues. Did I set them up incorrectly?

No, they are set up correctly. I wanted to see whether the problems will move between audio channels after switching the op-amps.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #343 of 348
So, first flip flop the doubles, then the singles?

Yes, and after You do that, check whether the problems You've mentioned before moved from channel to channel.
I'm hesitant to pull out the whole set as I don't want to risk damaging the Bursons.

I swapped the Bursons, the Sparkos and stock opamps multiple times and they continue to work fine so don't worry.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #344 of 348
I replaced the X7, and identified the issue w/ the Burson op-amps, so I'll be requesting replacements.

Anyway, I just picked up a Jotunheim yesterday, and I was having trouble getting the X7 to output as a DAC. I changed the settings to line-out in the control panel. I think it's a faulty RCA cable, so I have a new one arriving today. I'll circle back if the issue persists...

I did connect my phone directly to the Jot, and it sounded great, so I know the Jot is in working order.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #345 of 348
Hello all.  

Sorry for bringing this back up, but it's been like 2 years since this was released.  Has there been any comparable products made since then?  I really like all the features and the ability to finely edit the signal via the software, but all the problems and reviews I read about scare me.  Also because of its age.   

Is there another product you recommend I look at that might be fresher?  I am looking to upgrade from my USB Astro Mixamp, where I use 2 inputs, the USB and an analog 3.5 connection from my streaming pc for notifications.  It has trouble pushing its own A40 headphones at higher volume without including a lot of static.  I will be using this mainly for gaming and streaming.  This X7 seemed like a big powerful version of the Astro Mixamp.  

I would like to upgrade headphones, but because it seems the mixamp can barely push it's own headphones at 50 ohms, I am a bit worried about purchasing a nice pair. 

Thank you.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back