Sound Blaster X-Fi HD or Fiios E10
Jan 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

potatoos

100+ Head-Fier
I need a DAC for my laptop, but would also like to use it for gaming on my PS3 to help power my headphones. I have recently been admiring the e10, however, I stumbled upon the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD on Amazon for about the same price. The inputs and outputs of the X-Fi HD would make it more desirable, but the main purpose would be for music/movies from my laptop.

So my question is; can the X-Fi HD's DAC compete with that of the e10?
Also, could I connect the e10 to the PS3 via usb and use the e10 like that?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Edit: Link to the exact X-Fi model I am considering 
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-System-SB1240/dp/B004275EO4/ref=cm_rdp_product

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 16
Well, I think that I realized something. The PS3 only outputs game audio through the analog (red/white) and optical (toslink) outputs. Usb can only put out chat audio. Knowing that, I need a dac/amp which can take input from a toslink or analog signal. The X-Fi linked above can take analog inputs (I think at least) while the e10 can only use usb. The dilemma still stands.

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 16
Astro Mix-Amp.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 16
Yes been looking for threads on this Sound-Blaster X-FI as well. Curious here.
And a little off-topic, is that amp any good for headphones by itself? Connecting to my pc and is considering getting this...

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Loop test meaning?

Toslink out to Toslink in worked ( RMAA on pc) 

Quote:
Yes been looking for threads on this Sound-Blaster X-FI as well. Curious here.
And a little off-topic, is that amp any good for headphones by itself? Connecting to my pc and is considering getting this...

Amp section is good for most of the lower impedance headphones, I don't think it has the power to drive the HD600 or 650 though but certainly works pretty well for my old M50s and my friend's Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm, I do not have any high impedance phones to drive it with. The DAC section has respectable specs but you will have to do upsampling to 24/96 to get the best results out of it. For low impedance headphones it does not do well with most of the BA and I personally run my X-fi HD through the Objective 2 amp. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Amp section is good for most of the lower impedance headphones, I don't think it has the power to drive the HD600 or 650 though but certainly works pretty well for my old M50s and my friend's Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm, I do not have any high impedance phones to drive it with. The DAC section has respectable specs but you will have to do upsampling to 24/96 to get the best results out of it. For low impedance headphones it does not do well with most of the BA and I personally run my X-fi HD through the Objective 2 amp. 

Thanks! So 55 ohms should be no problem for the sound-blaster right? I'm sorry but i'm a newbie in this hobby, been lurking for ages but never understood some terms. What does the BA mean? And the upsampling part, i can do it through the one of foobar's component, the resampler right? Correct me if i'm wrong
blink.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:

Thanks! So 55 ohms should be no problem for the sound-blaster right? I'm sorry but i'm a newbie in this hobby, been lurking for ages but never understood some terms. What does the BA mean? And the upsampling part, i can do it through the one of foobar's component, the resampler right? Correct me if i'm wrong
blink.gif

BA =Balanced Armature. Foobar has a resampler thats correct. 55 ohms should be no problem for the Sound-blaster.

Quote:
Do you have any other DAC's to which you can compare this DAC's abilities?

Mainly the E10 and Emu labs 0204. The 0204 has less connectivity(I need the optical out) but has better measurements. The E10 has a very nice headphone amp, which would be my recommendation if you are not connecting anything else to it. Otherwise its the X-fi HD which best the E10 in almost everyway especially if you use it with a competent amp. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 16
That's because the E10 is heavily advertised here and recommended around, the X-fi HD is usually recommended around at Japanese forums. I do think the upcoming E17 will outperform the X-fi HD by a large margin though it will be a while before release. On top of that, the E10 is integrated with a pretty darn good amp component which IMO is good for the price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back