Sound Around Sound May 2 2009 Impressions
May 7, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey flatmap, Your 702's are swweeeeeeeet!!!!!

Ah yeah, these are definitely headphones that I'll hold on to for the long term. They put me directly in touch with every single note on the recording.

And for me they are super comfortable. I guess the bumps on the headband match up with the bumps on my head!

May 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #32 of 53
May 8, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys...sorry for the late reply, I couldn't find my camera to upload them. They are heading to my Photobucket as I type, will post link or images soon.

Cool. I knew we had some more photos coming. This time we'll have more photos than impressions.

May 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #34 of 53
Josh got mug shots of everybody.
tongue.gif
I look like SCARY POPPA.

May 9, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #36 of 53
Good to hear from you. We will have a Summer Meet. Maybe even a BBQ meet? Don't be a stranger FOO.

May 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #37 of 53
Great to see everyone a the meet. I was surprised by the Darkvoice/HD 650 combo. Just a little self-noise intruded, but otherwise tasty. I have 24/192 HiRes audio playing from my Samsung NC-10 netbook, XP SP3 and E-Mu 0404 USB 2.0 sound interface.
Amazon.com: Samsung NC10-14GB 10.2-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, 6 Cell Battery, XP Home) Blue: Computers & PC Hardware
E-MU Systems - 0404 USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface
Portable and affordable. Surprisingly fine results.
Sorry McIntosh users, it only does better than 24/96 on PCs. But you have some Firewire solutions that ought to work for 24/192 or 24/176.
Using foobar2000. The ASIO plug-in is a bit glitchy, but the standard E-Mu drivers alone sound as good to these ears, and they are trouble-free.
I plan to record some of my vinyl to HiRes digital audio and play it from this ensemble.
It will be just the thing for Head-Fi meetings and sharing my music with folks outside my home.
I haven’t been able to pass the digital stream out of the E-Mu into my Benchmark DAC1 Pre. Any guidance or suggestions to get that done would be welcome.

May 10, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #38 of 53
Hi Curbfeeler, I enjoyed meeting you and hearing your set up with the HD 650 headphones. And I'm looking forward to hear more about your experience with the Adjust+ turntable setup software.

edit: did you get the "consumer" or "pro" version?

After I heard the Dark Voice combination with my AKGs, I immediately had the thought to listen to your HD 650's with same. But then promptly got distracted. Maybe at the next meet. :)

With the EMU 0404, are you not getting a signal at all when you hook it up to your Benchmark? Or you're getting the signal, but at a lower sample rate than expected?

May 13, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by flatmap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Curbfeeler, I enjoyed meeting you and hearing your set up with the HD 650 headphones. And I'm looking forward to hear more about your experience with the Adjust+ turntable setup software.

edit: did you get the "consumer" or "pro" version?

After I heard the Dark Voice combination with my AKGs, I immediately had the thought to listen to your HD 650's with same. But then promptly got distracted. Maybe at the next meet. :)

With the EMU 0404, are you not getting a signal at all when you hook it up to your Benchmark? Or you're getting the signal, but at a lower sample rate than expected?

I have the home version of Adjust+. I'll upgrade if I need to measure wow & flutter or THD.
I finally managed to get S/PDIF out of the E-Mu 0404 into the Benchmark DAC1 Pre. This happened after I placed the ALAC dll for foobar in the components folder and re-installed foobar to grok the dll. The ASIO scheme in foobar and the ASIO driver in E-Mu are only just compatible with each other.
Unfortunately it seems that 24/96 is the best the E-Mu can do with S/PDIF out, so it's not going to be useful as a transport to the Benchmark at
24/176 or 24/192.
Time Is Time by Yes sounded fine at 24/96. Anything at a higher sampling rate caused foobar to fold like a cheap suitcase. The ASIO Virtual Devices in foobar have to be edited or recreated when that happens, and when the computer is restarted. If I only define analog devices in ASIO Virtual Devices I get analog out of the E-Mu 0404 from 24/192 files, so I can use the E-Mu for a DAC in HiRes with ASIO. The good news is that unlike some players foobar is managing to switch the sampling rate per track automatically. Yeah!
It's said that MediaMonkey and ASIO are less problematic, so I may try MM.
The DAC in the E-Mu is remarkably good. As an adjunct to a computer or a laptop it is a cost-effective road to HiRes playback and recording through the USB 2.0 serial bus. There are better headphone amplifiers, though the E-Mu's is adequate. Remember, this is a $200 device! In High End terms that makes it a taster and a no-brainer.
It'll be interesting to hear what it can do with recordings from vinyl.

May 13, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by flatmap /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The EMu 0404 is incapable of resampling. Using ASIO what comes in is what goes out. The S/PDIF out would seem to be limited to 24 bit 96k or lower sampling rate.

May 13, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by curbfeeler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EMu 0404 is incapable of resampling. Using ASIO what comes in is what goes out. The S/PDIF out would seem to be limited to 24 bit 96k or lower sampling rate.

Well, and by digital standards, 24/96 is far from shabby!

Thanks for this update on your investigations.

May 15, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes we are spoiled up here. Love going to meets. You learn so much swapping gear around. Who knew the AKG 702's would rock with the Darkvoice 336se?

The AKG cans are said to be phase-inverting. That may account for some of the problems I have with their sound. Has anyone tried inverting the phase when driving these cans?

May 16, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by curbfeeler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG cans are said to be phase-inverting. That may account for some of the problems I have with their sound. Has anyone tried inverting the phase when driving these cans?

How would one do this, curbfeeler? Would this mean switching the "common" wire to be the "signal" on one channel? And leaving the other channel alone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back