Sound around Sound II Impressions (Bellevue, Wa)
Oct 25, 2009 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

iamoneagain

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wanted to start the thread. I might have a few pictures to post at a later point. I know there were others with cameras though.

I played around with the HD800 (both stock and recabled) and end up liking it better than the last time. The problem was it still didn't do it for me on rock music. Just missing the punch and lacks body in the bass. Still easily preferred my L3000, but also preferred the Grado HF-2 to it. Not for the technical abilities but just for getting my foot tapping and enjoying the music.

Also tried the Grado HP-1's again and didn't like them on the first setup I tried but really enjoyed them on Kingstyle's fully batteried powered setup that included the Offramp jitter reducer. Looking forward to trying the Offramp in my setup to see what it does.

I guess that it for now. Had a lot of fun, as always. And thanks again to BigPapa for setting this up.

Photos below:

692158024_2sW6i-M.jpg

692157921_2CeyD-M.jpg

692157820_rSNVs-M.jpg

692158114_M8Vog-M.jpg

692158205_Jgi7b-M.jpg

692158272_VLCRp-M.jpg

692157742_GRGcw-M.jpg

692157658_8ABgA-M.jpg

692157070_aCcX7-M.jpg

692156996_Kr8gm-M.jpg

692156935_hEqPD-M.jpg

692157276_T2t6N-M.jpg

692157364_MwMaA-M.jpg

692157582_Hq9su-M.jpg

692157507_8nEWd-M.jpg

692157430_5jFyh-M.jpg

692156850_B59s3-M.jpg

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 36
As usual, this meet was a lot of fun and a good learning experience. Some quick thoughts are the
Edition 8s surprised me that although they are closed and pretty thin, the sound comes from a couple of inches outside of the cup. I wasnt expecting this because they are so thin and closed, I didnt think they would have the room to unfold and create such a wide stage.
It was the first time I had the opportunity to try the L3000 and found the bass to be nice and not overtaking the rest of the sound. Also to note is it seems that I remember people saying the highs are rolled. I didnt find that the case. The treble actually seemed a little hot and that was coming from my setup which usually tames that. Over all though they were a great all round can and can see why they are valued by many.
The Phonitor was a very nice amp that seemed to have a nice balanced sound across the spectrum and did a very nice job handling the dynamics and complexity of beethoven 5th through the hd800 with ease and with good separation.
Extermes Lisa amp is a little power house able to bring out the bass in the few cans that I was able to try with it as much or more than any other amp there and its portable. Awesome.
The maestro cans were pretty good if you like a lot of detail and hot highs. They seemed to pair with my setup really well as it taimed the detail and highs giving them a smoother presentation.
The hf-2 and the hf-1 grados sounded great. Some might not think they have much bass but after to listening to the hd800s for a couple of months now, both grados had plenty.
Hamsandwich was able to point out the u shaped sound signature of the d2000 with a track he had that really showed how the mids were getting sucked out compared to like the senn's that I tried out on the same track. It made the guitar sound like he was in the back of the stage rather than being more forward and being the driving force behind the song. I didnt have this problem on my d7000 so it was interesting to see the difference between the models.
I had to try those zebra wood headphones. Not bad but the bass was boomy and distorted, But who can complain when there only 60 bucks and they have some cool zebra shell sides.
I think I will wrap up saying thank you to the oregon folks who took the time to come up, everybody who showed up and shared there experience and gear, and to Big Poppa for organizing the meet and also taking the time to introduce me to some new artists I didnt know about that I really liked and will pick up in the future. Isnt that what were here for is about the music ultimately? Thanks and look forward to seeing the pictures of our very cozy meet.

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 36
I liked what I heard today from the Phonitor and Markj's recabled HD800. Very compelling sound. It bettered the sound I heard in Jude's system at RMAF CanJam which used the Nordost Odin AC cord, Quantum QX4, Valhalla AC cord, Quantum QBase QB4, Luxman DU-50, Ray Samuels Audio Raptor and Sennheiser HD800 with Moon Audio HD800 cables. That's a lot of help.
See Judes pix from RMAF.
Can Jam @ RMAF 2009!
I'm in one of the shots, with Dennis Davis auditioning Jude's HD800.
The HD800 must be mated to a complementary amp. It sounded good with a WooAudio 22 at RMAF as well.
The Grado HF-2 was much better than I expected.
Thanks for organizing this meet, Big Poppa. And thanks to all who shared gear.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 36
Thanks for the impressions.
smile.gif

Pictures are welcome of course, and more impressions...

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 36
Wanted to take a moment and thank Big Poppa for the invite. Perfect sized room for the Gear. It has just the right size for passing stuff around.Other than the long drive in from "The Shore" it was great. Many more setups on my level here than other meets. One standout for me was to Audio GD Compass . Gave even my cheapest "Cheap Cans" and amazing feel and power. The Maestros were more open than I thought they would be. almost as open as the HD800's. and Kingstyles' Red Wine, gave the Meastros an amazing "Stax" feel. Extreme's Lisa III prototype was very surprising. All fo my cans gained immensely from her. We even plugged in my son's HD202's just for the Hell of it. and they really shined and opend up with the Lisa. It was nice to see all of my cans float around the room. The Hammy Zebrawoods caught the most eyes sitting in thier pretty little "Humador" box and It was good to see them make the rounds. HamSandwich and I shared a table so it was easy to A & B his Stock Denon AHD2000's with my Partialy modded set.(Dynamat cups and SPOFC cable only) I'll post up some random PICs tomorrow as I'm at work and the firewall wom't let me go to Tinypics.com.

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 36
Thanks BIG POPPA for setting the meet, best of last three. In my latest search for the bass headphones Edition8 are #1 candidate. GMP 435 S, PRO900 and AH-D2000 tied for second place. Pioneer SE-305 came close third.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 36
Oct 25, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 36
Thanks for the info. Info is a little hard to find on it. Nice pictures by the way.

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 36
Which brand/model is this? Can not say I recognize it...

692157582_Hq9su-M.jpg

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 36
http://go.head-fi.org/?id=475X763&ur...od-Accessories

Hammacher Schlemmer Zebrawood / Leather novelty phones made for HS by wesonicaudio.com Originally listed by HS for 199.00 but put onsale last month for 59.00 USD. A bunch of us Head-fi'ers bought them up for Framkenphone shells if nothing else. I like them anyway for SQ. very similer to the mid level JVC's.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hammacher Schlemmer Zebrawood / Leather novelty phones made for HS by wesonicaudio.com Originally listed by HS for 199.00 but put onsale last month for 59.00 USD. A bunch of us Head-fi'ers bought them up for Framkenphone shells if nothing else. I like them anyway for SQ. very similer to the mid level JVC's.

I was just researching the links right before you posted.

The Zebra Wood Headphones - Hammacher Schlemmer

and the thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/zeb...phones-444102/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back