Sound around Sound II Impressions (Bellevue, Wa)
Oct 27, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #16 of 36
2ylmr7d.jpg
14avuip.jpg

24mbc5g.jpg
2r27p8x.jpg

2j27sc7.jpg
2a9z1fs.jpg

1h44fl.jpg
2d2wcy.jpg

6zlt35.jpg
11h6p1t.jpg

idxf87.jpg
2ai3478.jpg

14awytt.jpg
rwpe7k.jpg

2mgkvuu.jpg
j9vuqt.jpg

aexpae.jpg
11ka6u8.jpg

2lk2otu.jpg
2j2cbuw.jpg

14ipws8.jpg
20af62e.jpg

21n3x4h.jpg
ay4hu.jpg

sb79js.jpg

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #19 of 36
At the meet there was talk using Amarra for the Mac. Well I gave the demo a try today and really didn't hear any differences. It could be that I'm using optical out but then I saw a few posts saying Amarra does support this. Oh well, I'm not really into tweaks and this way I save at least $400 on their Mini player.

Amarra Computer Music Player

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #20 of 36
My comments are coming. Just been a little tied up.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #22 of 36
The cable is the Lawton Audio Adrenaline cable. The connectors are part of the price. You can order the connectors separately if you want. I think they were about 30 bucks. Ask boomy, I think he was giving some away at the meet.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #24 of 36
My impressions of the meet. In this venue I was able to listen to all the rigs with ease (First time to do that!). I like the HD 800's with the cryo'd copper cable a little more than stock. The HF-2's still ain't my thing. There were rigs from the entry level to the high end, with everything in between. From iamoneagain's AT set up to Hammy's set up, to Kingstyles Killer off the grid set up. Curbfeelers Edition 8's were so musical out of the box. Really like them.....ALOT!!!!!! We had the German Meastro's 435's to audition at the meet. On Kingstyles rig it sounded awesome. These cans are light and comfortable and with the right rig these cans will sing. Can be a little bright. Out of an Ipod they are fine. Spent time with Markj's Phonitor. Very nice sounding amp with the HD 800's. Boomy is a heck of a nice guy with some outside of the box DIY stuff. Cool to see. Little Boomy was such the good sport to be there the whole day. I have Boomy's Power strip and somebody's C7 cord if you are missing one? Let me know where to ship! Yeah I know an after met was not planned! Couldn't do it this time but the next meet will have one! Good to meet Madelvice from Tacoma and to see WittyzTh again.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #25 of 36
Yeah those Edition 8's were quite amazing. All of the flavor of the pro900's with a smoothness I did not expect from Ultras. The Maestros had a very "Stax" feel with Kingstyles Redwine Rig. Just keep the power strip for the next meet. I have extras. Next time I'll come up the night before and stay an extra day. Do the Needle and the Market with the wife and kids

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable is the Lawton Audio Adrenaline cable. The connectors are part of the price. You can order the connectors separately if you want. I think they were about 30 bucks. Ask boomy, I think he was giving some away at the meet.

Are these Fischer?

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #27 of 36
Here is what his web site says about them.
Quote:

HD800 Cable Connectors for DIY-ers
Lawton Audio has tracked down and contracted the original manufacturer of the Senn HD800 cable connectors to custom build us a supply of the very same connectors they make for Sennheiser. These connectors are built 100% to Sennheiser specifications, and are of the highest quality. We are the very first to be able to offer these connectors as part of our own HD800 replacement cables and now separately for DIY-ers who want to use their own wire to create their own cable solutions. The price for a pair of a pair of Sennheiser HD800 connectors is a low $39.99 (plus shipping). There is a limit of 4 pairs per customer.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #28 of 36
I've been negligent in not writing up my impressions earlier. I apologize for the delay.

I finally got to hear a modded Denon D2000. I've been planning on modding mine but haven't gotten a round tuit yet. Now I have an idea of what to expect from the mods. I think I may have worried Boomy a bit because I was frowning and shaking my head as I was listening to the Denons both through my amp and the EF2. I wasn't frowning at the gear. I was listening for some specific things and was hoping that the mods and/or the EF2 would fix those problems. They didn't. I brought along a CD with 4 tracks that don't sound right to me with the D2000. Two tracks that have distant or sucked out vocals or lead guitar. Two tracks that have a tone or timbre that is slightly off to me. Neither problem was fixed by the modded phones or the EF2. Bummer. My next quest will be to hear a D5000 and D7000 in the hopes that one of them is able to do better with those 4 tracks. I hope it's not the D7000 that finally fixes the problem. That would hurt my wallet.

The German Maestros were interesting. Were they the GMP 435? They were able to rock really well and play acoustic well. But ouch, those highs could sometimes bite. Maybe the highs will tame down with more burn-in. Otherwise very nice headphones. I like the suspension design that allows the ear pads to kind of float.

The Ultrasone Pro 900 were also very nice. They surprised me. If I lose my Denon love the Pro 900 could be in the running as a replacement. They certainly don't suffer from the sucked out guitar like my D2000.

The Edition 8 was surprising. Shouldn't have been too surprising given the praise they get. But until you get to listen for yourself you never know. You see the headphones with such shallow cups and you just have to wonder how they manage to make them sound so big and full. Fortunately they're way out of my league so I don't have to get tempted by them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back