Souls-like/Souls-borne thread
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #46 of 80
@SilverEars must admit that your avatar has now made me re-install Bloodborne. Just wish they could have come out with a better version with higher framerate.

100% agree on playing them again is comfort food :beerchug:

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #47 of 80
I agree with you on Elden Ring and DS2. They should be at the bottom. If Demon's Souls was your first, I can see why it would be at the top. I would agree that Bloodborne, DS1, and Sekiro should be at the top 3 of FromSoft production.

These games ironically become comfort food once you beat them once. It's because you know what to expect, and the playthrough becomes more relaxing, and you get to focus on other aspects of the game. It's about learning the world, and learning yourself by dying a lot. Why you keep making those mistakes.

I believe it's also like Stockholm syndrome once you beat them. The intial hurdle is a hate relationship that turns into appreciating hurtle once you overcome it. I guess this is why it's compared to real life hurdles. For example, people tend to have fond memories of times when it would tough, when they were going through a struggle.

The game causes a lot of philosophy to come out. What other games does this?
I have very good memories of legacy of kain series, and also a lot of philosophy matters in the lore.

I'm still waiting to play bloodborne, I only got pc :triportsad:

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #48 of 80
I have very good memories of legacy of kain series, and also a lot of philosophy matters in the lore.

I'm still waiting to play bloodborne, I only got pc :triportsad:
Why?! No! You need to play Bloodborne today! Get a hold of PS4 or PS5, borrow from friend, steal it from a little boy, do what you can. You must play it. It's a amazing production.

Hopefully, 4k 60fps (or more fps!) Bloodborne is coming to PC, although no word on it yet. Why we got God of War, but not Bloodborne, makes no sense.

I know 30fps sucks on the playstations, but my TV has motion smoothing, and that helps to smooth out the low frame rates.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #49 of 80
Why?! No! You need to play Bloodborne today! Get a hold of PS4 or PS5, borrow from friend, steal it from a little boy, do what you can. You must play it. It's a amazing production.

Hopefully, 4k 60fps (or more fps!) Bloodborne is coming to PC, although no word on it yet. Why we got God of War, but not Bloodborne, makes no sense.

I know 30fps sucks on the playstations, but my TV has motion smoothing, and that helps to smooth out the low frame rates.
I know man I know, I want to play that game so bad, sometimes a rumour of a remastered version for pc too comes out, but nothing concrete. I have to borrow a ps...

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #52 of 80
how many hours do you have on dark souls?
I can't say how many hours, but I'm on my 3rd playthrough. First was with greatswords, and then 2nd with magic and pyromancy, and this one just parrying with dexterity mainly.

I would say my most current fav weapon is the moonlight butterfly Horn. Insane reach when poking, and it melts everything. My first playthrough was all about damage stats, and then later I tried other weapons, and realized it's not all about the numbers, but how the weapon feels. I never through I would like spears, but started liking spears after this weapon. Now, my DEX build, I use Silver Knight spear, and luv it! Biggest advantage is that you are always at a safe distance with a spear.

I melted Ornstein and Smough with the silver knight spear. I think poke works well due to the tracking and reach.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #53 of 80
I can't say how many hours, but I'm on my 3rd playthrough. First was with greatswords, and then 2nd with magic and pyromancy, and this one just parrying with dexterity mainly.

I would say my most current fav weapon is the moonlight butterfly Horn. Insane reach when poking, and it melts everything. My first playthrough was all about damage stats, and then later I tried other weapons, and realized it's not all about the numbers, but how the weapon feels. I never through I would like spears, but started liking spears after this weapon. Now, my DEX build, I use Silver Knight spear, and luv it! Biggest advantage is that you are always at a safe distance with a spear.

I melted Ornstein and Smough with the silver knight spear. I think poke works well due to the tracking and reach.

Nice, I don't remember how many run I had on ds, but i keep playin this game. Now I'm trying raising only endurance and vitality using only elemental weapons, I like to experiment new kind of builds

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #54 of 80
Nice, I don't remember how many run I had on ds, but i keep playin this game. Now I'm trying raising only endurance and vitality using only elemental weapons, I like to experiment new kind of builds
The replayability is mainly about what alternatives there are to try specific builds, but after awhile the weapons feels kinda samey. Right now, there isn't a particular weapon I'm interested for DS1. Although DS1 had great amount of variations for weapons, later games provided more I believe. The weapons don't feel that much distinctive even if there is high quantity. There are various classes of weapons you can try out. Curved swords, straight swords, great swords, great curved swords, ultra great swords, hammers, great hammers, axes, great axes, katanas, whips, magic, pyromancy, and fists. Well, there is a lot, but Great weapons generally feels the same. I will never use whips or fists. I have done magic and pyromancy build already. 3-4 playthroughs would cover my interest. I'd do a Strength build and do a great weapons run, next would be magic only run, and then int/faith for pyromancy run that I'd use inflused straighswords, then dex to play with katanas and spears. That should pretty much cover everything for me. That's all the variations that interest me.

One the other hand, bloodborne has less quantity of weapons, but they are trick weapons which makes them worth trying out individually, and thus increases replayability, even if the game doesn't have as deep of RPG elements.

Also, I recently tried the New Londo Ruins, which always scares the crap out of me due to the dark areas with darkwraiths popping out of nowhere (in the pitched darkness) doing combos on you with infinate poise. Also the got damn ghost that pop through the walls that you can't hit through the walls. For some reason, this playthrough, I died a lot to them. The only area that's left over that' I'm interested in is the catacombs and the tomb of the giants, but I hate going through tomb of the giants without sunlight maggots, and obtraining it, I have to go through the most boring area of the game. And I'm already getting tired of using the katana. it's not a fun weapon for me.

I agree with you the level design is what makes DS1. If DS3 had same level of level design, it would excel in all departments because the combat and the weapon variations has evolved from DS1. I luv how From Soft generally starts out, they generally start out in castles or something, and it's really interesting mazes, and then it starts to take a dive at some point. I prefer the whole game to be mazes inside castles, or places like blight town or the valley of defilement.

What I like best about From Software is the places makes you feel lost while exploring, and then you find a shortcut to make you feel relieved to know where you are. It's a great level design.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #55 of 80
The replayability is mainly about what alternatives there are to try specific builds, but after awhile the weapons feels kinda samey. Right now, there isn't a particular weapon I'm interested for DS1. Although DS1 had great amount of variations for weapons, later games provided more I believe. The weapons don't feel that much distinctive even if there is high quantity. There are various classes of weapons you can try out. Curved swords, straight swords, great swords, great curved swords, ultra great swords, hammers, great hammers, axes, great axes, katanas, whips, magic, pyromancy, and fists. Well, there is a lot, but Great weapons generally feels the same. I will never use whips or fists. I have done magic and pyromancy build already. 3-4 playthroughs would cover my interest. I'd do a Strength build and do a great weapons run, next would be magic only run, and then int/faith for pyromancy run that I'd use inflused straighswords, then dex to play with katanas and spears. That should pretty much cover everything for me. That's all the variations that interest me.

One the other hand, bloodborne has less quantity of weapons, but they are trick weapons which makes them worth trying out individually, and thus increases replayability, even if the game doesn't have as deep of RPG elements.

Also, I recently tried the New Londo Ruins, which always scares the crap out of me due to the dark areas with darkwraiths popping out of nowhere (in the pitched darkness) doing combos on you with infinate poise. Also the got damn ghost that pop through the walls that you can't hit through the walls. For some reason, this playthrough, I died a lot to them. The only area that's left over that' I'm interested in is the catacombs and the tomb of the giants, but I hate going through tomb of the giants without sunlight maggots, and obtraining it, I have to go through the most boring area of the game. And I'm already getting tired of using the katana. it's not a fun weapon for me.

I agree with you the level design is what makes DS1. If DS3 had same level of level design, it would excel in all departments because the combat and the weapon variations has evolved from DS1. I luv how From Soft generally starts out, they generally start out in castles or something, and it's really interesting mazes, and then it starts to take a dive at some point. I prefer the whole game to be mazes inside castles, or places like blight town or the valley of defilement.

What I like best about From Software is the places makes you feel lost while exploring, and then you find a shortcut to make you feel relieved to know where you are. It's a great level design.
The first chapter is unbeatable in design imo, an incredible map and connection, unfortunately 3 doesn't offer the same level.
Regarding weapons, yes the first ds is not on par with the others, but still has a good amount of possible choices, the second is the one i prefer for weapons, although it's a shame for the same movement scheme

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #56 of 80
I'm generally a Castlevania (post SOTN games excluding the 3D titles) fan and like Metroid as well. My interest for Metroid is a little less than Castlevania.

I'm not suprised why this guy got inspiration for parallel of Castlevania with Dark Souls from the video below. Castlevania's game design and intension seems to be the same. Try to scare the player and make sure enemies positions are planned to challenge them. I wouldn't be surprised if I find out that Miyazaki was a huge Castlevania fan.

Apr 1, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #57 of 80
I know I talked a lot crap about Nioh 2 back when I started playing, but my opinion has change. Now that I know how to play Nioh games, I enjoy them. I'm quite addicted to Nioh these days.

It takes a lot of perseverance and digging to learn how to play Nioh IMO, much longer than what it took me to get used From Soft games. I recommend Nioh series for those can take the challenge. Once you get over the hump, it's very rewarding.

I've completed Nioh 2, and playing Nioh 1. I'm enjoying it. Very engaging.

If you find that the game is annoying that just means you need to Git Gud. It took me a work to Git Gud in Nioh. Although combat mechanics are different, Nioh feels like Sekiro in the difficulty.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #58 of 80
Oh my gawd, Nioh is so complex, and not so straightforward in the way they present things. I'm talking about the stats. The point of light vs medium vs heavy armors. Not explained. Also, they mislead you on defense stat by using a huge font of the multiplier, which makes you think it's the defense value. What really matters is the multiplier value times the percentage reduction value. Toughness is even more important since it's your poise. So, you have to figure out what armor weight class would work best for your playstyle (some people play naked with no armor since they like to evade), and you have to know all this since it will optimized how well you play the game. There's so much to know in order to play proficiently.

Also about people playing naked. When you play Nioh, you get one shotted so many times that getting one shotted naked makes on difference. lol I feel like the point of the game is to not get hit. lol.

When I was a newb, I thought ki pulse was annoying, but now I started ki pulse while switching stances. Ki pulse while switching stance provides more ki and also lowering your stance helps you finish them off. As you play more and more you run into things and you start to get used to the controls.

The complexity of the combat system makes it very engaging. It's really annoying at first when you are used to simple dodge and hit mechanics of From Soft games.

I initially thought the game was unfair, but more I play I see why the mechanics are the way it is. My Ki drain and stun works similarly to how it works for enemies. Which means I get stunlocked just like the enemies. So, it's fairer for the enemies, which isn't the case in games in general. But still, there are too much one shotting attacks, and enemies locking in when they attack you. I notice when I dodge and they seem to be locked on to me.

It's very different from From Soft games. Very fast paced and flashy. I wonder if Sekiro was a response to Nioh? You really have to know the mechanics to play like this. There are lot of buffs and defuffs involved. Much greater tools provided to get to superman level. I now see why people think Wo Long is a step down from Nioh. Wo Long just doesn't have the depth of Nioh.

The application of Japanese Yokai methology is very cool. It makes sense for magic and Yokai abilities. Being a halfling Yokai is and interesting concept as well. It's like Alucart from SOTN being a halfling vampire.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #59 of 80
Nioh games just all of a sudden clicked with me. I feel like I've mastered Nioh. When you get gud at this game, it feels like you are Neo (From the Matrix). I like Nioh series better than From Soft games now due to combat. I hope Rise of the Ronin has as much depth as Nioh 2.

This game clicked like when you played Ninja Gaiden back in the days, and all of a sudden it clicks. Best combat I've ever experienced. I genuinely believe Sekiro was a response to Nioh, and a lot was taken from Nioh series.

One of the coolest bosses

Rise of the Ronin. Can't wait!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back