Souls-like/Souls-borne thread
Sep 5, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #31 of 80
Very fun and innovative 2D combat. I recommend. Genius idea for 2D combat. They figured out how to do it in a fresh way. You'd have to try it to see how the combat feels.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #32 of 80
CV3.jpg

Rolling through Code Vein again, this time on the Steam Deck. I find it works really well as a handheld game, since the time between Mistles is pretty short. allowing for somewhat quick bursts of gameplay. I don't think there's much more than like 30 minutes between Mistles.

It runs pretty well despite not being a "verified" game, but there are some flaws. Mainly, it doesn't hold steady at 60FPS all the time, dropping into the 40s from time to time, and turning settings down doesn't improve performance.

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #34 of 80
By far the most frustrating encounters in the game are the random trials, where you have to fight off waves of enemies. The combat in the game just isn't balanced to support such encounters, so the fights always feel like a mess, even with your NPC companion. Dodging and movement gets wonky around so many enemies, sometimes moving you in the opposite direction you're trying to go, which has a knock-on effect on your targeting. I have more trouble with them than any boss in the game. If they plan a Code Vein 2, I really hope those don't make a return.

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #35 of 80
The trials was the worst when playing solo. I was banging my head against the wall because they would not stop spawning. As a solo player, balance is terrible, but understandable since it's not designed for solo in mind.

Backstabs are OP. It's easy to get through areas with doing backstabs when playing solo. Just the bosses are nearly impossible solo.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #38 of 80
People talk about high satisfaction feeling from beating FromSoft game bosses. This point in the video illustrates it perfectly.

One of the most addictive things in souls games is the first time playing trough and beating a boss you have died way too many times on.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #39 of 80
Not the most popular thread it seems, FromSoftware has ruined my enjoyment in other games. Big titles people rave about is not good when compared to the souls formula.

Played souls game since DeS on PS3, platinumed all. What is the best part for me is PvP and invading. Loved the fight clubs in Demon Souls. Invading is also fun, also in Elden Ring for that matter Love to 1v2 1v, adrenaline rush deluxe..

What's peoples favourite Souls game?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #40 of 80
Not the most popular thread it seems, FromSoftware has ruined me enjoyment in other games. Big titles people rave about is not good when compared to the souls formula.

Played souls game since DeS on PS3, platinumed all. What is the best part for me is PvP and invading. Loved the fight clubs in Demon Souls. Invading is also fun, also in Elden Ring for that matter Love to 1v2 1v, adrenaline rush deluxe..

What's peoples favourite Souls game?
I think the difficulty of Dark Souls is over-stated that it can get into people heads in a biased way that they will expect it to be hard, and struggle due to the mindset. If people went in with an open mind, and is playful with experimenting and think dying is part of learning a game like in the good NES/SNES days, they would have a much better time. Like if they went in blind and has the perseverance to figure learn what the game is really about.

Dark Souls games has a wrong reputation among people. People think it's popular due to being hard, but if they give it a try, they will find out that's not what it's all about. it's about a good time, deep world building, great level design and loots, good humor, and good lore. That's what inside if people are willing to have patience with it. I would say Sekiro is hard, however. Yes, there is also stress for a first timer, but that is part of the emersion. It's the stress that gets pentup and the release of this pent up stress causes satisfaction to be magnified.

Those games are so good that they do ruin other games like you say. I know I say Miyazaki is sadistic, but I'm being sarcastic, he's actually joking with you. He's getting humor out it, and it is funny if you watch other first timers go through it. When you experience it, you feel the struggle, but if you see yourself from an outside perspective, it's a big joke. It's a troll humor he uses I say.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #41 of 80
It's interesting how Soulsborne games are regarded as being therapeutic for people with depression and anxiety. Is the game analogous to the kind of perceptive world they live in? I believe depression is a result of a particular perception of your surroundings, and the world of Soulsborne is very hostile. Is it an analogy to somebody with a perception of hopelessness?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #42 of 80
The part about game as therapy is a new one for me, depends how your depression is probably. TBH I have always seen the souls game as relaxing games for having fun, with some nice adrenaline spikes now and then.
It's interesting how Soulsborne games are regarded as being therapeutic for people with depression and anxiety

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #43 of 80
I am not a angry gamer who gives up easily, not all but many who grow up with games now are getting way to much handholding in games. When they meet resistance they give up or throw the controller in the wall etc. When playing metroidvania games you have the same difficulty as here in my opinion, only part making souls game more easy that you can overlevel or use overpowered builds.

I do still think that souls games are on difficulty higher than almost all the games that comes out. But the more games you have played in the series the more easy it gets.

Also the part of being afraid of dying, if you use up your souls before moving to a new are the dying part gets less scary.

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #44 of 80
Anyway for ranking of my best experience playing trough the souls games, not which game is the best per say. I played all of them without gamefaqs or video guides. Used some wikidot and now fextralife to find gear to builds or when stuck for too long on a fight.

1. Demon Soul (easy since it was my first souls game)
2. Bloodborne
3. Dark Souls
4. Sekiro
5. Dark Souls 3
6. Elden Ring
7. Dark Souls 2

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #45 of 80
Anyway for ranking of my best experience playing trough the souls games, not which game is the best per say. I played all of them without gamefaqs or video guides. Used some wikidot and now fextralife to find gear to builds or when stuck for too long on a fight.

1. Demon Soul (easy since it was my first souls game)
2. Bloodborne
3. Dark Souls
4. Sekiro
5. Dark Souls 3
6. Elden Ring
7. Dark Souls 2
I agree with you on Elden Ring and DS2. They should be at the bottom. If Demon's Souls was your first, I can see why it would be at the top. I would agree that Bloodborne, DS1, and Sekiro should be at the top 3 of FromSoft production.

These games ironically become comfort food once you beat them once. It's because you know what to expect, and the playthrough becomes more relaxing, and you get to focus on other aspects of the game. It's about learning the world, and learning yourself by dying a lot. Why you keep making those mistakes.

I believe it's also like Stockholm syndrome once you beat them. The intial hurdle is a hate relationship that turns into appreciating hurtle once you overcome it. I guess this is why it's compared to real life hurdles. For example, people tend to have fond memories of times when it would tough, when they were going through a struggle.

The game causes a lot of philosophy to come out. What other games does this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back