Soul Food-Fi
Oct 4, 2008 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

andyreynold

Head-Fier
Does anyone else here enjoy themself a nice plate of fried chicken and mac and cheese? I know I do! If you do too than this is the thread for you.

Let's start by talking about what your favorite type of soul-food is. Pics would be awsome.

Let's start out this weekend great!

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 31
Dude, I live in East Flatbush. If it's not Carribean food I'm having, then it's all fried chicken, ham-hocks, ox-tail, mac & cheese, greens, chittlins and 40s. Well I try to take it easy on the chittlins.

Oh, and next year I'm moving to Harlem...

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 31
How 'bout fried chicken livers with Heinz 57 sauce, soup beans with homemade hot relish, cornbread, fried taters. Pour some salt out on the table to dab the onions/cucumbers and maters in.
Cornbread and milk later for desert.

I have a bottle of "Soul Food Seasoning" in the glovebox, sold exclusively at Dollar General stores, makes my fast food taste "exotic", mmmmm.
biggrin.gif

BTW, these are the Western North Carolina "mountain" or "appalachian" type delicacies.

There are some places down off the mountain famous for BBQ. Most excellent slaw.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 31
having grown up in the deep south, i'm a sucker for soul food.
and my only beef with NYC is that there's almost no good BBQ.

to quote Funkadelic: "Soul is chitlin foo yung."

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How 'bout fried chicken livers with Heinz 57 sauce, soup beans with homemade hot relish, cornbread, fried taters. Pour some salt out on the table to dab the onions/cucumbers and maters in.
Cornbread and milk later for desert.

I have a bottle of "Soul Food Seasoning" in the glovebox, sold exclusively at Dollar General stores, makes my fast food taste "exotic", mmmmm.
biggrin.gif

BTW, these are the Western North Carolina "mountain" or "appalachian" type delicacies.

There are some places down off the mountain famous for BBQ. Most excellent slaw.

Omg, that sounds amazing. Can I get some recipes or some pics mate?

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyreynold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omg, that sounds amazing. Can I get some recipes or some pics mate?

My thoughts exactly

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 31
I love soul food. Especially Jamacain food, if that counts as soul food. How could anyone not like soul food??? Ribs, chicken, meat...real food that satisfies a hungry man. You have to know someone or a cafe that knows how to make it right though. It's good stuff brotha.

chewie0ol.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 31
tonight's got a little chill in the air... i could use a good hot bowl of Brunswick Stew.

1633.jpg

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 31
I'd love a nice plate of macaroni and cheese right now. I mean the proper stuff made with a white sauce and nice old cheddar. I'm living with my dad this term, and he refuses to eat pasta of any kind
frown.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love a nice plate of macaroni and cheese right now. I mean the proper stuff made with a white sauce and nice old cheddar. I'm living with my dad this term, and he refuses to eat pasta of any kind
frown.gif

Man, now that you mention it, it could really go for a late night bowl of that stuff. If you don't mind me asking, is there any reason why he won't eat pasta? I couldn't imagine living without it!

And that chili looks great Vic, you make it yourself? What's in it?

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 31
I have a question on braised collard / mustard greens. Why the need to cook it down till it's sludge?

I cook it fast over high heat with oil and then finish it with some garlic vinegar. Rockin!

And while I consider myself to be an extremely open-minded eater, man, I just cannot get past slimy okra. Fried or otherwise.

It's finally getting cold here in SoCal - may need to whip up a rich pot of jambalaya.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The diet's been keeping me away, but I love soul food. Especiaaly this place:

roscoes.jpg

And yes, chicken and waffles are incredibly good together!

Haha, a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back