Sorry PSN/PS3 Users. If you are a ps3 user you must check this out, this has important information.
Apr 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Icy56

100+ Head-Fier
Well Im a ps3 user myself and if you are ps3 user you should know by now that psn has been down for a few days now. Well I thought oh they are just doing maintenance this is nothing big until I found out just now that PSN was actually hacked and ALL user information was stolen. This is very bad news for everyone who uses psn.

Here is a quote from Engadget:

It's looking like things are just as bad as we feared and that "external intrusion" got a little deeper than we might have liked. In an update on its PlayStation.Blog, Sony just confirmed that the ongoing PSN outage was caused by "malicious actions," which we already knew, but continues by indicating that there has also been "a compromise of personal information." Exactly what that means Sony isn't saying, and it stops short of saying that credit card data for PSN and Qriocity users has been exposed, but the company does say "your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained." Yes, it may have been obtained -- even Sony isn't sure. There's no further ETA for when PSN may be back up online or when you might be able to finally sample Portal 2's delicious online co-op mode, but at least you can still watch Netflix.

Update: Our friends at Joystiq are reporting that Connecticut Senator Blumenthal is rip roarin' mad about the situation, "demanding answers" from SCEA president Jack Tretton. Right now, we're more curious what Kevin Butler has to say about things.

Update 2: Sony UK is shedding more light on just what data has been exposed, and frankly we were happier when it was dark. By the sound of things, everything Sony had about you has been accessed. There's a full list after the break, so only click on through if you dare.

[Thanks to everyone who sent this in]

Here's what Sony UK indicates was exposed:
Name
Shipping address
Billing address
Country
E-mail address
Birthdate
PSN/Qriocity ID
PSN/Qriocity password
PSN/Qriocity security question and answer
Purchase historyPlayStation Blog

Link: http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/sony-provides-psn-update-confirms-a-compromise-of-personal-inf/

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 21
As a PS3 user, I am obviously not impressed. They're still say it's unclear if credit card numbers were accessed, but it seems pretty likely. Hopefully Sony does not keep a full credit card number on transactional records as I did not have mine saved for ease of use. If they don't pass out sexual favors for all their customers, I don't know how they expect to recover from this PR nightmare... More like PR rapefest.

Geez, between Epsilon and Sony getting hacked, I think this year has set a record for most customer information stolen ever! My store has Xbox 360s on sale for a really attractive price next week, I'm tempted to grab one.

May 3, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 21
Just received this in my inbox:

"Dear Valued Sony Online Entertainment Customer:

Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems. We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack. Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.

Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained and we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.

There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment.

We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber-attacks on the company, but on May 1st we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible. [...]"

Bolded for emphasis. Wow!...

May 4, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 21
Given a skilled and determined enough person or group, there really is only so much "security" anyone with systems that are accessible from the web can do.  I've had several friends in the IT field, and one spent several years as a network security analyst hacking into systems to test how secure they were.  At the time I talked to him, he had not run across a single system that he couldn't eventually hack, from local web companies to federal systems of some countries.  All this without getting caught in the act. 

So to be honest, if it hadn't been Sony it could have very easily been someone else.  hile this entire thing is unfortunate, I think it's getting more press and attention than it might otherwise deserve due to scale and that it's a "game company".  For complete transparency, I'm affected and have changed over my credit card I had on file, but to be fair the card was getting beaten up and the magnetic strip wasn't working so great anyway.

May 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 21
Yeah...it's why I tend to use a few different sets of passwords.  For instance, my online bank account has a username and password that I don't have on any other account.  The pain was remembering where I used the same password that was on PSN, since it was one of my more common ones. :p

May 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
I can't watch Netflix and that is pissing me off.

Netflix still works with the PSN down. I've been told there's a slight trick to it though.

Quote:
Thank god I'm a PC gamer and don't have to rely on anyone else to keep my stuff secure.

This has nothing to do with platform per se. Companies like Valve (Steam client) likely store similar information (hopefully more encrypted), but you can only really say you don't rely on anyone to keep your information safe if you've never purchased anything online (meaning internet purchasing in general), don't use Paypal and don't use online banking. Even then, banks and investment companies store your information on servers which could be breached.

So if you have every dollar you've ever made stashed in your house, only buy PC games with cash in physical stores and have never entered one bit of actual personal information online at any time, then yeah, you don't trust anyone to keep your stuff secure. The craaaaazy internet era hath begun!

On a side note, I trust everyone with my information and probably am supporting an entire illegal immigrant family under false credit cards! People need to relax these days.

May 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
On a side note, I trust everyone with my information and probably am supporting an entire illegal immigrant family under false credit cards! People need to relax these days.

Hopefully that family isn't that interested in expensive headphones and other audio related gear.  At the very least, if they are, they should set up an exchange with you.  Every few months you guys mail each other some piece of gear you own and your opinions so both parties get to enjoy.

With shipping from them being on your dime as well of course.

May 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 21
see guy's, this is one of my reasons for the fear of ordering headphones online. the internet is to dangerous. thats why i will only use prepaid credit cards with up to $2000 at most on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back