Soranik Audio Discussion
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #31 of 41
Thanks Kiats for the detailed impressions (and Steve too!). Indeed the MEMS speakers benefit a lot from additional power. The Onix with its balanced output of 5W @ 32Ohm is far more powerful than the little AP0, hence your impression of more flourished signature :)

Back at Canjam Singapore I had a seminar about MEMS and their characteristics, which would explain why MEMS speakers scale a lot with different sources. Let me see if I can reuse it over here.

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #32 of 41
Thanks Kiats for the detailed impressions (and Steve too!). Indeed the MEMS speakers benefit a lot from additional power. The Onix with its balanced output of 5W @ 32Ohm is far more powerful than the little AP0, hence your impression of more flourished signature :)

Back at Canjam Singapore I had a seminar about MEMS and their characteristics, which would explain why MEMS speakers scale a lot with different sources. Let me see if I can reuse it over here.
Yeah... It really scaled up wonderfully with the Onix Miracle. :) I suspect that this definitely one of the direction in which the development of any future energizer can take. Because the sound quality was really stunning.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #33 of 41

Please do share! I missed that seminar (because I didn’t go to canjam 😂). I’ve always been curious about that “scaling” characteristic and how one can engineer to make that happen.

May 15, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #34 of 41
My Mems-3S arrived this afternoon. I was able to benefit from a very generous trade in on my mems-2. Currently I am listening through my Diablo 2, which has the driving power and as the D2 is Mems ready it removed the need for the EP0. Hawkwind's latest album is a good workout for the Mems-3s as the album covers quite a genres of sound. I am very impress so far. Much more detail than the Mems-2 and the open back really helps the the flow of sound.

May 16, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #35 of 41
My Mems-3S arrived this afternoon. I was able to benefit from a very generous trade in on my mems-2. Currently I am listening through my Diablo 2, which has the driving power and as the D2 is Mems ready it removed the need for the EP0. Hawkwind's latest album is a good workout for the Mems-3s as the album covers quite a genres of sound. I am very impress so far. Much more detail than the Mems-2 and the open back really helps the the flow of sound.
With the Diablo 2, you can enjoy more sound tuning options as the xMEMS mode on the Diablo 2 is EQ-ed internally. You can try connecting it straight from the Diablo 2 running Normal or Turbo to the AP0 energizer to get the non-EQ signature, which is also very impressive in its own way!

May 21, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #37 of 41
Please do share! I missed that seminar (because I didn’t go to canjam 😂). I’ve always been curious about that “scaling” characteristic and how one can engineer to make that happen.
MEMS speakers (at least those currently on the market) differ from "traditional" loudspeakers in that their electric impedance is almost fully capacitive, meaning they have a very high impedance at low frequencies (Megaohms) but then steadily decrease towards high frequencies. The impedance at 20 kHz is only a thousandth of the impedance at 20 Hz.
They also require higher voltages, roughly ten times the voltage that electrodynamic speakers need. You'll need an amplifier capable of 15-20 Vrms to drive them to full levels.
On top of that, some of the existing MEMS speakers require a DC voltage on top of the signal voltage. The amount of DC required varies depending on the material type used for the active layer in the MEMS stack, but can be as high as 15 V DC. This will influence the distortion levels significantly, but also affects the voltage sensitivity of the loudspeaker.

There are not many amplifiers(*) on the market that can drive MEMS speakers. The iFi Diablo-X has a built-in, fixed EQ filter, which will affect the sound significantly of course.

*There are a lot of components (such as this purpose built one) for amplifiers, but those are ICs to be used in e.g. TWS (or other consumer electronics applications), not in desktop-amplifiers.

Indeed the MEMS speakers benefit a lot from additional power.
The power itself is not the relevant factor - it's the voltage.
MEMS speakers have a much higher impedance (see above), so even with the high voltage they still don't draw a noteworthy amount of current.
They're voltage driven.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #38 of 41
The Soranik Mems3s is a true technical marvel, pushing the boundaries of what an in-ear monitor (IEM) can achieve.
1000011704.jpg

Detail review:

Important note:The following review is conducted with the stock energizer (AP0).
Though being an iem, the Mems3s scales well with powerful sources. I've even tried it with a "crazy" portable stack and the result was mind-blowing.
1000011858.jpg

Bass:
The Mems3s exhibits a fast, precise bass response that leaves a lasting impression. Its agility allows for well-separated bass notes, even during complex passages. Whether it’s the thump of a kick drum or the resonance of a bass guitar, the Mems3s handles it with finesse.
Midrange:
Prepare to be astounded by the Mems3s’ midrange capabilities. It paints an intricate sonic canvas, revealing macro and micro details alike. Imagine sitting in the front row of a live orchestra—the Mems3s brings that level of realism. Each instrument occupies its own space, creating a holographic presentation.
Treble:
The Mems3s’ treble extends into the stratosphere, reaching up to 80 kHz. This isn’t just about numbers; it’s about the delicate shimmer of cymbals, the airy decay of vocals, and the sparkle of high-frequency harmonics. The treble is both articulate and ethereal, adding layers of texture to your listening experience.
Technical Prowess:
What truly sets the Mems3s apart is its technical prowess. It’s not just about frequency response; it’s about how effortlessly it handles complex passages. Transients are lightning-fast, imaging is precise, and separation is surgical. Whether you’re dissecting a symphony or analyzing a jazz quartet, the Mems3s reveals every nuance.
Soundstage and Imaging:
The Mems3s boasts an open-back headphone staging that sets it apart from other IEMs. Its holographic imaging creates a sense of space that rivals even full-sized headphones. Personally, I would say that it reminds me of the Arya which is a great headphone that I have been using as my benchmark for how a good open-back headphone should be.
Overall Impression:
While it’s unfair to directly compare the Mems3s to other IEMs, it doesn’t claim the title of the absolute best iem I’ve heard. Personally, I still prefer the Annihilator 23 and Supreme V3. However, the Mems3s operates in a league of its own, offering a unique listening experience that’s hard to match.
Remember, audio preferences are subjective, and what matters most is how the IEM resonates with your personal taste. The Soranik Mems3s certainly stands out as an impressive contender in the audiophile world! 🎧🎶
1000011854.jpg

May 29, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #39 of 41
I just received my Mems-3 (non-s) from Soranik.
Basically a cheaper version of Mems-3s with a BA bass instead of DD bass. But still retain all the great things of mems driver.
Soranik said It will be released in the near future.
Will post a full reviews probably next week as I still enjoying them.

For a first impression, it is very good. A technical beast comparable to TOTL IEM out there IMO. Although, not as textured and deep as DD bass, the MEMS+BA still offer a very satisfying subbass and midbass. Definitely better than a normal BA bass.
The extension of the low end and high end is insane with this MEMS driver.
I am impressed. The downside mostly on the Energizer, but Soranik is actively try to improve that so I am not too worry for that.
Also maybe for people who want a deep reaching subbass might still want to go with mems-3s.
Out of curiosity, I might consider upgrading to the s version down the road. 🤣
But currently I am satisfied with this

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #40 of 41
Yes we are running prototypes of the next version right now, they can swing more than 3 times (roughly ±20V) the original design of the AP0 due to having much higher input voltage supply.
Big shout out to @Uncle Wilson of Jaben SG for getting this across to me. The AP1. I do like the compact size and the seeming greater voltage swing and consequent better grip. I am listening to the M9+ at 35 on turbo gain. Previously, on the AP0 I was listening at volume 40.

I find the tonal balance better with the AP1. Of course, my preference for the tonal balance to be towards a denser mids and trebles. I suspect whilst it may detract a bit from the illusion of a big soundstage, the resulting sound would be more natural and balanced. Again, not everyone will agree with me. :)

IMG_5749.jpeg
IMG_5748.jpeg

Jun 14, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #41 of 41
Soranik Mems-3 Review
After several (or two?) weeks listening to Mems3, I can say I love the listening experience I got from this set.

Soranik Mems-3 Spec:
1x Full-ranged xMEMS microspeaker
1x Full-ranged USOUND microspeaker
1x Balanced Armature

As I mentioned previously, this is basically a Mems3s model with BA instead of DD for the bass.
Also, Soranik mentioned to me that due to logistic issue, they cannot obtain the USound 6mm microspeaker anymore.
So, the final release config might be slightly different from above.

The price will be around 1500USD, but they said it is not final so better wait for the public announcement for more accurate MSRP.

Review:
To my ear, the Mems-3 sound a U-shape with a very extended on bass and treble.

Bass:
The bass handled by the 2 Mems + the BA driver. With the help of the Mems drivers, the bass on this unit doesn't sound like a BA bass at all.
It has more slam, punchier and a lot deeper if compared to usual BA bass.
The bass is fast, so for any music require a fast bass response, there will be no problem.
What the bass of mems3 slightly lacking is in the texture.
Which is also probably why the Mems-3s exist. You might want to upgrade to Mems-3s if what you are looking for is the more textured bass Dynamic Driver.
However, If you prefer a faster bass response, mems-3 might be more a suitable option.
For me personally, I am quite satisfied with the bass. With my playlist of J-pop, Ansong/game song, the bass works quite well.

Mid:
The mid of Mems-3 is very transparent, clear and detailed. The mid is has a note weight that isn't too thin or too thick.
The Upper mid is more pronounce than the other mid region. It suits especially well for female vocal.
By changing ear tips/cable/source the mems3 mid can become slightly warmer with thicker body.
The micro and macro detail in the mid, in the vocal is simply astounding. it rivals even the pricier TOTL set.

Treble:
The treble of the mems driver simply feel unique and different. It has more treble extension than any IEM I ever heard until now. Very clean and detailed.
It is sparkling and on top of that without being harsh or piercing at all.
The treble is also very airy. This treble presentation is actually what I like the most about this set.
The treble is simply 10/10 for me. It sounds ethereal, addicting and effortless.

Technicality
Technical performance is one of the specialty of mems driver. The detail, clarity, separation, imaging of this iem is at flagship level, comparable or maybe even better than any pricier flagship iem out there. It is very detailed. The soundstage is holographic, wide and tall. Imaging is precise, the level of separation is superb. All the instrument, the vocal has its own space in the stage.
The transient is among the best in any iem. Mems-3 can handle any complex music effortless. You can pick any music you like, and mems-3 will handle it without problem.

Pairing
Mems-3 will benefit from a powerful source. But running it from a high-end dongle can be enjoyable as well. So, you might experiment with all your source and look for the best pairing for you. I test Mems-3 with my DAP AMP, dongle and also desktop DAC/AMP. I think the mostneutral pairing coming from Sony WM1AM2 with Soundtiger SInfonia AMP pairing. With Dongle Questyle M15, M15 cut some of the treble make it darker and more laidback presentation. RME ADI-2 also offer a more laidback experience with added body to the sound while unlike M15, ADI-2 retains more of the treble.
Meanwhile DC Elite, offer more musical, fun experience although it lost some of the warmness of ADI-2 and M15 similar to WM1AM2 combo.
I also try with Burson Conductor 3XR, with it musical and warm sound signature and definitely it is not disappointed.
My favorite pairing is with the Desktop DAC and surprisingly DC Elite connected to PC for a slightly different flavor.

Select Comparison
IER-Z1R

Z1R is still one of the best in term of bass quality even now in my opinion. It is not different here. While mems-3 also has a great depth of bass, the subbass, the decay and the texture of Z1R bass is still better. For the mid, mems-3 is better overall, it is more open, more forward and detailed.
The treble is where both two tie for me. Z1R treble is smoother at the top end, its decay is very unique. Mems-3 treble has more definition, more attack, airier and firmer. If you compare it overall, Z1R offer more warmer, more laidback while mems3 more forward, fun and musical.
Z1R is one of the IEM that offer a very impressive staging. Mems-3 airer treble make it slightly taller, more open. Mems-3 has a better separation as well. Z1R also lose out on detail retrieval and resolution.
Mems-3 also a more dynamic and faster transient.

Final A8000
A8000 is a single DD IEM. One of the fastest transient on IEM I ever heard before mems-3. I think Mems-3 has aa better treble, extended without harsh. A8000 while not harsh as well, sound harsher if compared directly to mems-3. Both IEM bass has a slight tilt to midbass. I found that mems-3 dig deeper. A8000 has a good stagging size in wide. But mems-3 simply better in all staging aspects.
In most technical aspect mems-3 beat A8000. Their overall tonal is more similar than to Z1R. Both offer a slightly bright tonal with some lift in midbass, extended treble and forward vocal.
Mems-3 is more forward sounding, more aggressive, dynamic overall.

JVC FW10000
FW10000 can't be more different in tonal to mems-3. FW10000 is warmer, a lot thicker, and more forward vocal. For the bass, FW10000 doesn't have a lot of midbass. However, FW10000 textured bass dig quite deep with good punch. Personally, I really like FW10000 bass. Mems-3 has a better definition across all the frequencies. FW10000 treble probably one of the most extended trebles for a single DD configuration, however it can't match the treble of mems-3. The mid of both iems are quite different. FW10000 is more forward, has more note weight than mems-3. FW10000 details are very commendable, especially for a single DD. But mems-3 is better and cleaner. The soundstage is more open on mems-3. While mems-3 also has the better separation, I found the imaging is quite similar.
If you like vocal, you might still love FW10000 more for its unique specialty. However, I can't deny the mems-3 superiority in technical aspect.

Hidition Viento-B
The 4 BA Viento has a warmer sound if you can get a deep fit with it. The treble on Viento is pretty extend but nowhere close to mems-3. The mid is where I love viento, while it is warmer, it has a similar note weight to mems-3. A tad more forward as well.
BA bass of Viento isn't as deep as mems-3 bass. Mems-3 also has more midbass.
Viento has a respectable technical performance. However, mems-3 is a clear winner in technical department, it is cleaner, has better detail, resolution, wider soundstage, better all-around staging capabilities as well.

Summary & Conclusion
Pros:

- All aspect of Technicalities above its price, competing with TOTL IEM
- Fitting (Subjective)
- Very nice allrounder sound
- Very extended treble
- While not the best textured bass, it is deep, fast and satisfying

Cons:
- The build quality while not bad but not amazing either for the price
- Not really portable setup, with its energizer and power requirements
- Isolation, Sound leak (it's open back)

Mems-3 is a unique and special IEM. While it maybe not the most portable IEM around, its sound makes up for it.
After you plug it in, its sound is addicting.
Mems-3 make me wants to listen more and once again explore my playlist again.
I absolutely recommended Mems3 as long as you don't mind bringing the Energizer wherever you go or just use it as a desktop setup.

Will post some images later, after I can stop listening to this iem :)
Now, I am itching to upgrade to Mems-3s, just to find out how its sound.

Cheers!

*Update added some comparisons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back