Sooner or later, you have to make a decision :)
May 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
I have spent the last week or two poring over various recommendations from 'the usual suspects' (you know who you are !) and I agonised over my decision, flip-flopping between several pairs of IEMs in a single day. If you havent been there, its a lot of fun - especially when you lie awake at night pondering each set of impressions. I've been here long enough to know that asking for alternative recommendations in a thread really can be a ticket to procrastination hell - you just tie yourself in more elaborate knots.

The weird thing is that I wouldnt agonise to this extent over a $150 pair of on-ear headphones, be they portable or fullsize, but they seem to stand up to my lifestyle a lot more readily than IEMs. I also have a lot better idea when it comes to fullsize cans - in the IEM world I have to rely on other people's impressions. Sooner or later, you need to hit 'Confirm' on a Paypal page, and its a relief to have that out of the way.

I want to take this opportunity to make a solemn vow:

- I wont just throw my new IEMs into my bag willy-nilly
- I wont sleep on top of my new IEMs
- I wont pull on the cord till the rest of the headphone pops out of my bag

If, at any stage, you see me complaining about durability concerns with a pair of RE262s, feel free to remind me of this thread
rolleyes.gif

Finally, I dont know of a single pair of on-ear headphones under $150 that would be regarded as even remotely 'top tier', and that was what pushed me over the edge with the 262. I'm as skeptical as anyone here, but if its placebo on the part of reviewers its some serious mojo placebo. 'Flawed masterpiece' seems to be the consensus, but I'll take a little coloration over something more 'correct' but potentially boring - I guess the Grado faithful will relate. Roll on delivery day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back